WAY too much notice! Drat...

Be very careful that your failure to start and complete the course within a specific timeframe [-]could[/-] may be interpreted as insubordination. Depending on your personnel policy, insubordination may be cause for immediate dismissal.

martyb- You might want to check with your HR office and see if this course is really required for your grade and job series. I have a feeling it's not and that, if continuing education is required, it would come through HR, not the guy you work for. He probably has training funds that he wants to burn and feels he is doing something nice for you, even if it's on your own time. It might be worthwhile to call him and have a nice - not antagonistic - conversation with him, no matter how strongly you feel. There may be other employees that would be happy to do this if you turn it down. And, while I know it might not be pleasant for you if you do so, if it's not required, you can turn it down.

You can't be required, as a fed, to take courses on your own time. But, if it's required to keep your grade, rating, or whatever, and your only choice is to do it on your own time, you have a tough decision to make. I would not mention retiring this early. That can bring consequences of it's own. Also, 21 months is a long time and plans change. I know feds with less than a year to go who were forced to go to 3 or 4 months of training as they needed it to stay certified in their positions. Waste of money - yes, but they couldn't keep doing what they did if they didn't complete the training.

martyb,

This is a difficult position you find yourself in.

The definition of exempt employee includes professional and administrative staff, not just managers, so I would be careful about kicking up too big a stink about being non-exempt unless you are certain that you are. Where I worked it was very clear who was non-exempt and they were never expected to work without overtime although many of them would go on training courses, or take degree courses on line, paid for the company and do a lot of "work" in their own time as it benefits their career.

21 months is a long time ahead to declare your retirement date so I understand your reluctance to save us (the taxpayers) from the expense of sending you on a course. I, personally, would probably do the course, which starts in June and do whatever studying was needed in my work time. If I started failing modules I would plead my case with all the travel and special family circumstances that you have, and say that I can function in my job without the course. By the time this all really comes to a head you should be into your last 12 months of work, and I would think there is a process that they (HR, not your manager) would have to go through to actually fire you for not passing a course you were told you take.

Last edited:
martyb,
21 months is a long time ahead to declare your retirement date so I understand your reluctance to save us (the taxpayers) from the expense of sending you on a course. I, personally, would probably do the course, which starts in June and do whatever studying was needed in my work time. If I started failing modules I would plead my case with all the travel and special family circumstances that you have, and say that I can function in my job without the course. By the time this all really comes to a head you should be into your last 12 months of work, and I would think there is a process that they (HR, not your manager) would have to go through to actually fire you for not passing a course you were told you take.
+1 I don't understand why people resent managers assigning lengthy projects, training, or whatever when retirement is approaching if those managers don't know retirement is approaching. You could tell your boss confidentially (good luck with that staying secret), share it with everybody, or go on about your business as normal (i.e. take the course). Deception, insubordination, what's up with that? Anyone who counsels that as a default step has little reason to wonder why their bosses don't think of them as fast trackers ;)

Back
Top Bottom