WAY too much notice! Drat...

I gave three weeks notice . My Boss did not believe it and refused to deal with it . I finally said " I need a break I am getting burn out so I'll be gone either six months or forever " and it took her a year to realize I was serious and it was forever .

I retired as part of a major "rightsizing" at Megacorp. My boss and many of my long-time coworkers left on the same day. Megacorp announced who was leaving and when we were leaving. I was ready to go and I received a decent severance package.

I am a partner in my business and my leaving will create a hole in the workforce that will be tough to fill. When the last partner left, he gave us 3 months' notice and it was another 3 months' before we got anyone to help pick up the slack. That was a really bad 3 months and I swore I would never do that to my colleagues. *this was before I realized how burned out I could get and how desperate I am to get out.
Nevertheless, I would like to give my colleagues a year to plan and recruit a replacement, but I do fear that lame duck time could be difficult for many reasons.
I am not sure there is an ideal way to please all parties, my self included.

I unfortunately have an employment contract that requires that I give 6 months notice to terminate the contract. And I intend to give 6 months notice before totally retiring. I may be down to 1 or 2 working days per week at that time, so the 6 month requirement is not a big deal to me. But they suggested that I have to find and fully train my replacement in the 6 month notice. I don't see that as being my responsibility. This could get ugly.

Midpack - I think I must be missing something here. From the reaction it sounds like you are a valued, key employee. The CEO is both surprised and upset that you are leaving and fearful that others will think a long time, top producer leaving "early" means something is up. I can understand him wanting you to make it public and stay around to reassure your peers that your reasons are benign. I can't remember from your earlier posts but is there a history here that makes you reluctant to do this? I can certainly understand if they have treated you poorly in the past that you would not want to extend them more than the minimal courtesies.

When I started using my employee discount to buy a new stove, new sails, heavy weather jackets, and other offshore gear for our sailboat, it became very hard to conceal that I planned to quit work and go sailing for a while back in 2002.

Fortunately, I worked at a chandlery with at least 3 other employees there for the same reason (the discount). We were all treated with civility and helpfulness, and in my case, I got a job when I got back from the sailing trip thanks to one of my erswhile planning buddies who left a bit later than we did.

Whole different realm than Corp America, but I think you really have to focus on what is best for you and not what is best for the company in your situation.

To say it yet again, The management has told you what THEY want.

But really, What do YOU want ?

Are you going to follow your path or theirs ?

Some of the things my boss said in writing yesterday:... If we announce you are retiring and then 3 weeks later you leave, it will be that either I fired you or that you quit. Surely you see this."...

This is my favorite--either you quit or got fired. Isn't that how most people leave a company (I put "getting laid off" in the "getting fired" category as it's an involuntary departure precipitated by the employer; retiring = quitting)? Other than passing away at your desk (I guess that would be quitting), how else are you going to leave--get abducted by aliens? Now that would be some good work gossip.

You don't seem at all like someone who is out to screw the company and leave them in the lurch--too bad the upper uppers don't realize that and treat you accordingly.

I am a partner in my business and my leaving will create a hole in the workforce that will be tough to fill.
Don't count on it. It will be like a "hole in water".

Life will go on without you (yeah, been there, done that :cool: )...

Midpack,
Do what's best for you. If the company wants to fire you, negotiate severance! It's more than what you would have left with.

Seriously, you are in a strong position here. This is worth a direct conversation with the final decision-maker. Unless you need the salary to make FIRE a go, you can part on good terms (yours or theirs).

-- Rita

This is my favorite--either you quit or got fired. Isn't that how most people leave a company (I put "getting laid off" in the "getting fired" category as it's an involuntary departure precipitated by the employer; retiring = quitting)? Other than passing away at your desk (I guess that would be quitting), how else are you going to leave--get abducted by aliens? Now that would be some good work gossip.

You don't seem at all like someone who is out to screw the company and leave them in the lurch--too bad the upper uppers don't realize that and treat you accordingly.

Midpack,
Do what's best for you. If the company wants to fire you, negotiate severance! It's more than what you would have left with.

Seriously, you are in a strong position here. This is worth a direct conversation with the final decision-maker. Unless you need the salary to make FIRE a go, you can part on good terms (yours or theirs).

-- Rita
I'm surprised everyone sees the CEO's "please, please, please" in such a negative light. They are not threatening MP with firing. Far from it. And they don't appear to think of him as "out to screw the company." It sounds like they see his departure as a significant loss and are afraid others will assume the worst since he is leaving early. I suppose that fear may arise from a company that has driven out good folks in the past and is worried that MP's departure may reinforce accurate employee perceptions. But it could just be a reaction to the surprise engendered by MP's (quite reasonable) decision to keep his ER aspirations to himself. Keep in mind, we often talk around here about how bosses and co-workers "just don't get it" about ER. They often are shocked when someone voluntarily jumps ship in the 50s or worse, in their 40s and assume "something must be wrong." That is why I asked MP if there is a history here that led him to react negatively to the CEO's request..

I gave my boss 3 months notice, and extended it to more than 6 months at his request. I also asked that we limit the number of people who were notified in advance, and further limit the broad announcement to 3-4 weeks before my departure.

Now 4 months away, yesterday he tells me he talked with our CEO and they insist on 3 months notice to all employees.

I would tell them I gave you 3 months notice and extended it to 6 per your request. Now 2 months later you tell me you are not going to honor my 3-4 weeks broad announcement. Well that voids the extension I agreed to and I am sticking to my original 3 months announcement and therefore will be leaving in 4 weeks. Handle the announcement anyway you want.

That's BS on their part.

I see this as an advantage for you. I do not see why you don't ask for a bonus to meet their conditions. Furthermore, if you announce early, you should find that folks will stop bringing you any work to do as they know you will just blow it off. :) :)

So get paid more to do less. What's wrong with that?

I'm surprised everyone sees the CEO's "please, please, please" in such a negative light. They are not threatening MP with firing. Far from it. And they don't appear to think of him as "out to screw the company." It sounds like they see his departure as a significant loss and are afraid others will assume the worst since he is leaving early. I suppose that fear may arise from a company that has driven out good folks in the past and is worried that MP's departure may reinforce accurate employee perceptions. But it could just be a reaction to the surprise engendered by MP's (quite reasonable) decision to keep his ER aspirations to himself. Keep in mind, we often talk around here about how bosses and co-workers "just don't get it" about ER. They often are shocked when someone voluntarily jumps ship in the 50s or worse, in their 40s and assume "something must be wrong." That is why I asked MP if there is a history here that led him to react negatively to the CEO's request..

It sounds like Midpack is already giving tons of notice; the result is a patronizing memo "explaining" to him why he needs to give tons of notice.

Interesting topic!

I sort of dread the day I put in my notice. I am the director of a nonprofit and I know that my coworkers will be mad, because they get upset every time I mention it. At our main office, we have the 5 of us who all have worked together for at least 20 years, and some of us for 27. None of them want my job, due to the stress and duties, but at the same time, they don't want a new boss coming in to the mix. Not to mention, it will surprise our board. I think they believe I will work until I'm 70 or so. But there is no way. I used to love my job, but the last 5 years or so have been incredibly stressful. We are working it out to retire in about 3 years at ages 63. I will probably give about 6 weeks notice, which is what they ask for in our policies for the director.

You have hit the nail right on the head. The CEO should be able to handle losing a key employee to retirement. But he may not be able to handle the reaction of the remaining employees who suspect something is amuck.

Thanks donheff. All your assumptions are correct. I gave my boss all the notice he asked for, 4 months more than I intended. And I agree with letting my successor know 3 months in advance, I've known him and groomed him for this for 18 years. But I would like to restrict letting everyone know to about 3 weeks in advance, to avoid lame duck issues (I am the site manager, so there will be some) and to spare myself questions from disinterested parties. 3 weeks of questions is one thing, 3 months is another.

I'll be fine either way, just sad IMO that there are senior execs that think it's more important to have me around to quell unfounded rumors vs letting my unit of 80 and myself part as productively as possible. Seems catering to the lowest common denominator to me. I would certainly stand up for my employees if that happened to one of them, and actively squash rumors on their behalf myself.

As for others who suggest why not quit/severance. While it would be more money, I've had a great career and I'm not interested in trashing my reputation for more $ or 'showing them' after all these years - even though none of that will matter when I'm gone. I'm taking the high road no matter what...a few months is only a moment in a lifetime.

As for others who suggest why not quit/severance. While it would be more money, I've had a great career and I'm not interested in trashing my reputation for more $ or 'showing them' after all these years - even though none of that will matter when I'm gone. I'm taking the high road no matter what...a few months is only a moment in a lifetime.

I can see why you are such a valuable asset and I bet they hate to lose you. You have a great attitude about it all under the circustances.

Last edited:
...I'll be fine either way, just sad IMO that there are senior execs that think it's more important to have me around to quell unfounded rumors vs letting my unit of 80 and myself part as productively as possible. Seems catering to the lowest common denominator to me. I would certainly stand up for my employees if that happened to one of them, and actively squash rumors on their behalf myself.

...I'm taking the high road no matter what...a few months is only a moment in a lifetime.
Trying to control "unfounded rumors"...like herding cats. Even the biggest can of tuna fish in the universe, placed in the middle of the room, can't stop that.

In my own experience, I kept rumors to a minimum by simply letting co-w*rkers know that "It was a good time for me to leave". I explained I had achieved financial indepependence and did not want to wait around for an early out offer that may never materialize. Many wished me luck. Some were downright confused. Oh well.

In spite of my devilish April 1st exit date choice, I kept it as positive as I could, in spite of my immediate management doing everything they could to color things toward the negative realm.

You do indeed have a wonderful attitude. Get as much done as you can to facilitate the transition to your successor, and exit with dignity and grace. :flowers:

I've had a great career and I'm not interested in trashing my reputation for more $ or 'showing them' after all these years - even though none of that will matter when I'm gone. I'm taking the high road no matter what...a few months is only a moment in a lifetime.
Thanks for the reminder.

And what are the consequences if you fail to give them the 90 days notice?

Professional censure....and as I am not REing I cannot afford that.

I gave 2 weeks' notice. I didn't discuss it. Just said I decided to retire, July 2 will be my last day. :D

Some of the things my boss said in writing yesterday:
  • "I know that you wish that you not have to announce until the very end [Blackberrry grammar], but you must realize the shock factor this will cause." [here I think he means, wow someone retiring before they're 65 or older - how is that even possible:confused:]
  • "as much as you don't want any fanfare, you will be surprised as to the effect your leaving will have on this Company. The first rumor is your exit is just another John Doe [name changed, a peer who did quit about a year ago] exit of a rat fleeing what you believe is a sinking ship [the company is fine, recession was rough for us like most everyone]."
  • "Of course most rumors are utter nonsense...but that is why its best to have the person [me] around to set them straight [we're talking about gossip among "the suits" here mostly for pete's sake!]. If we announce you are retiring and then 3 weeks later you leave, it will be that either I fired you or that you quit. Surely you see this."
Impressive huh?

Why do you talk to this moron?

Having trouble understanding the "lame duck" thing. If you are leaving, why do you care? :confused:
I have been places that blame everything that ever went wrong on the person who most recently left.

Edit to add: Two weeks notice is customary.

My situation was much the same - when I retired from DoD, I had to put in for retirement about 7 months prior to leaving, as they were running a VERA/VESA - early out/buy out - and you had to apply with no guarantee of acceptance. About 6 of us in my organization applied in September (several years ago), were notified of acceptance into the program about Thanksgiving and told our departure date would be March 31 of the next year. No questions by anyone as we were considered the lucky ones - they were staying on a sinking ship and everyone wanted out.

The really funny thing was that my office moved to a different location on Jan 1 of my retirement year and did not (didn't want to waste the space) have room for me. So I spent the next 3 months as the only occupant of an empty office suite - just me, my computer and the coffee machine. It really was a fun time - lots of socializing with all my old friends in the building. Funny thing was that most of us had asked if we could leave on Dec 31 to maximize cash leave payments, but were turned down because personnel was too overburdened :whistle:.

Back
Top Bottom