Ways to finagle a ride on a nuclear submarine

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
saluki9 said:
Yeah, but I still don't think I'm even going to get a ride in nuclear sub. :'(
Lemme answer that question seriously. This was a pet peeve when I was on active duty.

If you're in a major city like Chicago, you can write to the XO of the USS CHICAGO and inquire about your corporation being a host sponsor for the submarine. You might have to persuade your execs to travel to the submarine's homeport to forge a relationship (in CHICAGO's case, that's Pearl Harbor) and you might have to bribe grease the deal with a free ballcap or two, but nukes are suckers for dig free ballcaps. You could offer to give their Sailor of the Year a free weekend trip to Chicago or you could have your corporation give away a free financial planning session for someone teetering on the brink of a re-enlistment decision. This is way better than what the politicians or the morale/welfare/recreation activities are able to offer. Eventually you'd visit the CHICAGO on a day when they're offering a dependent's cruise or ride along when they're entering a major port like San Diego, San Fran, or Bangor.

USS NEW YORK CITY tried & failed for years to bond with the NYC politicians. But the execs at the New Yorker magazine were exceedingly generous with their ballcaps, framed artwork, and their SOY rewards so we threw them their own cruise. The highlight of the trip was the VP's inquiry about the retail expense of having a Type 18 periscope installed aboard his yacht...

You could also become active in your city's Navy League and keep angling for a Fleet Week tour (San Fran, Olympia, Seattle).

Thanks Nords

I was only partly joking. I really would love to get a ride on a Nuke. I'd even be happy with just a tour.

I guess I figured that considering our current security level and the incident with the Greeneville that it was a lost cause

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom