Ways to increase energy?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What are some of the ways you folks increase your energy level when it sags? Sometimes, especially in the afternoon, my energy level just takes a nose dive. Unfortunately, I haven’t ER’d yet, and taking a nap is not a good idea (unless I want to be ER’d involuntarily!). I get an adequate amount of sleep and exercise moderately. Caffeine is always an option, but I try to not rely on that so much. Are there any healthy energy drinks out there that are not loaded with sugar and/or caffeine? I'm 46, not overweight, and pretty healthy overall.

What time in the afternoon; how many hours after lunch and what do you normally eat for lunch?

Normally about one hour after lunch. I usually eat a salad, sandwich, and fruit for lunch. Maybe it is some sort of sugar spike. My blood sugar levels are normal, when they have been tested.

Energy drinks all have caffeine as far as I know, but you can buy them sugar free.

My bloodwork always tests normal for glucose and Hb1Ac, but I get that way as well when I eat bread/sandwich or rice/noodles for lunch without enough protein and fiber. I always seem to do better when I have more protein and less carbs...don't get as sleepy, and don't have a crash. You may want to give that a try...I discovered this when doing Atkins a few years back (floated too far off course and now trying to re-do what got un-done). But, make sure to eat veggies to get your fiber!

R

Not being able to nap in the afternoons was one of the things I recall really missing when I graduated from college (a long time ago).

if sugar spike maybe take some fiber supplement before lunch. but best to powernap before lunch is over. even five or 10 minutes, 20 max. it is like rebooting your brain.

Normally about one hour after lunch. I usually eat a salad, sandwich, and fruit for lunch. Maybe it is some sort of sugar spike. My blood sugar levels are normal, when they have been tested.

I wouldn't be surprised if your salad dressing has high fructose corn syrup in it. Your body will spike on that and then you'll drop... nappy time.

Wheat or white bread? What kind of fruit? Stay hydrated with water?

I used to need a nap in ER around 3. About seven months ago I severely cut down on carbohydrates, ie. potatoes, bread, pasta, rice etc. Upped meats, chicken, turkey, fish especially salmon. Do eat raw fruits couple of times a day.

Even though I have not varied exercise regimen, now am rarely in need of nap, have a lot more energy, dropped about 15 lb. 5'9" Now 170 lb.

I still kick back around 3, not sleepy, mostly to daydream and get out of the afternoon sun.Go to diner shoot the breeze.

It seems most everything nowadays has high fructose corn syrup, plus sweetener of three or four kinds. Really need to read labels. I find it hugely annoying that nearly everything I look at in supermarket has lots of sweeteners. I drive my wife buggy with my observations.

Seems most factory processed stuff is designed to make you thirsty so you buy sodas amd other crap. Soft drinks are horribly over sweetened. I only drink water, wine or in summer dark beer. Rarely more than one beer or wine a day.

It seems counterintuitive, and it's the last thing you feel like doing, but some exercise will usually get you going again. Personally, I usually just take a nap, but if you run around a bit, you'll probably feel less drowsy.

It seems counterintuitive, and it's the last thing you feel like doing, but some exercise will usually get you going again. Personally, I usually just take a nap, but if you run around a bit, you'll probably feel less drowsy.
At least if you've been running around, you'll be a little tired so you'll feel justified in taking a nap! :2funny:

I've read that the caffeine will run you through a spike and then you crash early afternoon. That is supposedly where 4PM 'tea time' came from.

I don't know, I drank coffee throughout the day. Only recently did I need to stop by dinner to keep from affecting my sleep occasionally. Of course now, I can take a nap when I need it, not very often though, but a wonderful option.

-ERD50

It could be something like the sugar blues or the digestive process - you blood concentrates around your stomach to digest your food (that is why some older people get light headed after eating).

Suggestion:
Go for a walk after eating.
Monitor your sugar intake from all foods - salad dressing can be high in fat and sugar.
Proteins take a bit longer to digest than sugars and they release their energy into the blood stream slower also.
Eat breakfast
Sugar Blues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom