Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2009, 03:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
and 11.7% of us visit Steves-Digacams.com.

I didn't know that... nor did I know about Steve.
Steve's is great. I always research new cameras there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

It might be that the data that they have for this site is just based on if the person who signed up for the internet access is male or female.

Polls can be inaccurate especially if you are asking questions that people feel like they have to brag about or if it's a poll where it's like a "are you a victim of" poll....especially in person.

But asking about gender in an anonymous poll should give you a pretty good idea.....no reason to lie really.

What would be interesting to play with on that site that tells the gender of sites visited is to see what it would show for sites that would likely interest almost all male or almost all female.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
(snip)Now where did I leave my toolbox? I feel a need to go rebuild another carburetor...
What would be the male equivalent of that??
Hon, have you seen my apron? I thought I'd make us a quiche for dinner tonight.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
What would be the male equivalent of that??
In ancient times - perhaps a Missoula joke?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Statistics: 3583 of our members describe themselves as male
1192 as female
133 as undisclosed

These are not totally accurate as some users joined before you had to pick one of the above and the field is blank. I couldn't figure out how to search for those who never chose a gender. Wait, it looks like 7471 users so the number that never disclosed gender is pretty high.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Five of the top thirty posters are female. So much for women's reputations as blabber mouths, eh?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Regarding member affinity to other Web sites, the #1 ranked is the bogleheads site. Of course all investors would know Mr Bogle, but am I the only one who does not frequent that site? I was not even aware of that site until seeing it referenced here.

On the other hand, I often go to businessweek (I am also a printed-copy subscriber), bloomberg, treasurydirect (once a month as I got mucho money there), and wsj.

PS. I am also among the very few who have no accounts with Vanguard. Yes, I did know of Vanguard as it has always been connected with Mr. Bogle.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Regarding member affinity to other Web sites, the #1 ranked is the bogleheads site. Of course all investors would know Mr Bogle, but am I the only one who does not frequent that site? I was not even aware of that site until seeing it referenced here.
Yes, you are the only one.

I found out about this site from M* Vanguard Diehards. Since Bogleheads broke off from them, I have been reading that site from the start.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Five of the top thirty posters are female. So much for women's reputations as blabber mouths, eh?
Women like to hear themselves talk. Men like to read their own writings?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha

I like women who talk a lot.

I think I have to thank a very articulate and talkative girl I grew up with and spent hours on the phone with for a lot of my verbal skills. We could just sit there and talk all night until the sun came up.

The downside to knowing her is I would go out with other girls that pretty much did not talk and it was hard for me to be around them.

One girl I was very attracted to I talked to on the phone and her entire vocabulary consisted of...

yeah
I know
seriously?
so what have you been up to?
I don't know
no way!
oh my gawd

That would be an hour of talking to her right there.

I figured she just didn't like me. Years later her friend tells me she did like me but she didn't know why I stopped calling her!!

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes, you are the only one.

True. Even I have been to the Bogleheads and back.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if I should go take a look. Though this is the only forum I frequent, leave alone post to, I am having all my Internet socializing needs met right here. Same as money, one should know when he has enough. Yes?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Yes...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

back at ya.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
According to Quantcast (whatever that is) we are.

and 11.7% of us visit Steves-Digacams.com.

I didn't know that... nor did I know about Steve.
Hm...never thought they could direct measure audience demographics. I always thought that you had to go the panel route ala comScore. Thanks for the lead!
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I was thinking the opposite. I thought it meant I should be able to stand up and pee.
Judging by the public RR's I've had to use over the years, I'm guessing you'd do as well as us guys!!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
It might be that the data that they have for this site is just based on if the person who signed up for the internet access is male or female.

Polls can be inaccurate especially if you are asking questions that people feel like they have to brag about or if it's a poll where it's like a "are you a victim of" poll....especially in person.

But asking about gender in an anonymous poll should give you a pretty good idea.....no reason to lie really.

What would be interesting to play with on that site that tells the gender of sites visited is to see what it would show for sites that would likely interest almost all male or almost all female.

Jim
The white paper says that they use a combination of panel data and direct measure meaning that some people must have signed up to be part of the Quantcast panel. The direct part is through triangulation from census data. I don't know how detailed a tracking through IP address can get, but I suppose it can get pretty detailed. Laurance can jump in any time. Now if I know what block you live on through your IP address, I can tell with certainty the average and median income, the average and median net worth, the average age, and the average family size, education level etc. down to a block level that would encompass the size of an apartment building or 2-4 townhouses. That level of data in the raw is freely available from the government, or you can pay a few thousand dollars a year for a tool to manipulate the vast quantity of data.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Judging by the public RR's I've had to use over the years, I'm guessing you'd do as well as us guys!!!

I'm constantly amazed at the places where I find....um...well the list continues to grow.....
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Weird how if you are pleasant and listen to a woman till she finishes without interrupting her, and look at her as if she is a real human being and not just a need-fixer it is your feminine side.

Can men not have these traits on their own? Sounds like just more of the old "sugar 'n spice and everything nice", vs. "nails and snails and puppy dog tails". A bit annoying.

Ha
You don't know the half of it.

When I drop my oldest off at nursery school, it is a quick trip. For DW it is a good 20 minutes longer. Why? For her, it is a social outing to chat with the other moms. Not so for me: they simply are not comfy talking to someone else's husband in public (imagine the scandal!!!). One of many examples.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
You don't know the half of it.

When I drop my oldest off at nursery school, it is a quick trip. For DW it is a good 20 minutes longer. Why? For her, it is a social outing to chat with the other moms. Not so for me: they simply are not comfy talking to someone else's husband in public (imagine the scandal!!!). One of many examples.
I'm not much on talking to people; I find I have less in common with women than with men.