Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Davemartin, Thanks for filling in the bits and pieces. I hope you and your wife enjoy your new retreat. It looks so peaceful. I love hammocks. We set up a big one on our deck in the Summer.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank you, great church, love the setting. Love the sink we had a red one similar bold color but the orange is much more outstanding.

Metal detectors, I worked with these in the '70s in an industrial setting. I'm sure the technology is much better today(the guy we worked with was a WWII vet that built them for our soldiers, later for heavy duty industrial applications). The limited experience I had says you get what you pay for on the sensor side of the device not nessarily in flashy notification.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Promised a couple of pictures of the porch.

This is one of the pews from the church behind a table in the porch, there is another pew inside the house by another table.

It's turned really cold here but milder weather forecast for next week so hope to get back out and explore a bit more.

I'm looking to buy a metal detector as I'm finding quite a few historical references to the area where the church is located- might be fun to see what I could find. It's probably been picked over or washed out by floods but I guess you never know. We're less than a quarter mile from a large rock formation that is mentioned as being a major location for the Wappacomo (different spellings in different sources) tribe at one time. Will research some choices for a detector and drop some hints for Christmas!

I also found references to specific Civil War skirmishes that were fought at the rocks nearby and on the two river fords that were above and below the formation. One of the river fords emptied directly on to what is now the church property and we were told that at times, people could walk across the rocks in the river to attend church?

Reading about the local history has been quite interesting- amazing to read about the families from the area before 1900 and how so many of the people we've met here are descendants. A couple of times I've read about a happening from say 1897, then run in to someone in town whose great or great-great grandfather was involved.

The most interesting book so far was one that described "The History of Hampshire County WV to the Present" with the present being 1897. The church we bought is mentioned in one location as being on the "circuit" of a particular parson. I found it online as a free e-book, amazing! I also found out that our local newspaper has paper copies of the book selling for about $90 (it's over 700 pages) so might have to splurge or make another holiday hint, lol. The e-book is great because you can search but a paper copy would be fun to have at the church given the limited cell coverage there for internet.

Thanks for the interests and questions.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Promised a couple of pictures of the porch.

Reading about the local history has been quite interesting- amazing to read about the families from the area before 1900 and how so many of the people we've met here are descendants. A couple of times I've read about a happening from say 1897, then run in to someone in town whose great or great-great grandfather was involved.

The most interesting book so far was one that described "The History of Hampshire County WV to the Present" with the present being 1897. The church we bought is mentioned in one location as being on the "circuit" of a particular parson. I found it online as a free e-book, amazing! I also found out that our local newspaper has paper copies of the book selling for about $90 (it's over 700 pages) so might have to splurge or make another holiday hint, lol. The e-book is great because you can search but a paper copy would be fun to have at the church given the limited cell coverage there for internet.

Thanks for the interests and questions.
Thanks for posting more pictures and love your porch.
It's surprising the information you can find in old books. I have some old books from the mid-1800's and several self published books about the area that I live in. I also have old maps from the 17 & 1800's that show the farms, shops, houses. I've got an old parchment deed (dated 1799) for part of our property. I had to look up what a "perch" was because that was the measurement used for the property.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 PM   #45

Re Dave martin88's comment I have found books published in the 1880-1900 period for towns where my ancestors lived. (In IA, and IN). They are typically called the history of xxx. Since they were published before 1925 they are free of copyright so they will get scanned and put online. Now these were in some sense vanity type books as you might have had to pay to get your family in the book, unless you were a significant person in the community (One ancestor was a state rep for one term, so he got into the book for example, others were the local physicians and lawyers.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if a pellet stove might do the trick. We have a Rinnai direct vent propane heater I. or garage loft and are very pleased with it.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I wonder if a pellet stove might do the trick. We have a Rinnai direct vent propane heater I. or garage loft and are very pleased with it.
If we see ourselves spending more time there in spring/fall when we just want to take the chill off for a day or two, we may look at a pellet stove in place of the wood burning stove. Existing stove chimney would work well for a vent and we'd still have the fireplace for "ambiance" if we just want to see fire and smell wood burning!

Our neighbor put in a pellet stove a couple of years back and works well for him, like the idea of a thermostat for control and the relatively quick cool down. If we have guests that stay there, using a thermostat and just keeping the pellet hopper full is probably much easier than dealing with wood. Propane would be even more simple with a tank on the outside of the house so another alternative. We don't see ourselves trying to make the church in to a year round house but some easy heat source is worth thinking about.

The portable kerosene heater we purchased did well for warming the one large living/kitchen area and it was in the 20's outside when we tried it so we're covered for the short term.

We're also having a square dance Saturday night in our local co-op building we're in the process of restoring and there is no heat where the dance will be held. We plan to run 3 or 4 of these larger heaters in there for a few hours before the dance starts to take the chill off. We'll be there to watch them and will shut them off when the dancing starts but will give the heater a good work out on Saturday. The forecast is calling for mid 40's so hoping the heaters will do the job! If you're near Romney, WV Saturday evening and want to learn traditional Appalachian and flat foot square dancing, come on by- I'll be serving the cornbread and chili in the heated space as I'm not a dancer!