We Bought a Church

davemartin88

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I closed on a 1/2 acre property on the South Branch of the Potomac yesterday. It's a river camp from an old church that was in use until around 1940. It's rustic but came fully furnished. Has electric and plumbing but only wood heat so we went ahead and winterized the house while we were there after the closing. The former owner whose family owned the property since the 50's, was nice enough to take us through how he has done this for the last 25 years.

Hated to close it up but calling for cold weather soon even though it was 65 while were there. The property is only about 15 minutes from our house on the same main road. We've been looking for river access and this one popped on to the market a few weeks ago and had less river frontage than others but was too close by to pass up. There are a few other camps along the road but no one here year round, busiest time appears to be the week after Thanksgiving when hunting season is in full speed.

Taking advantage of the mild weather, I took a kayak out for about 30 minutes to check out the river. We're located on a long stretch of slow moving water, averaging about 3-5 feet deep. Had a nice paddle and looking forward to a lot more time on the river. The only others on the water were a herd of cows who were making a lot of noise playing and splashing a few hundred yards up stream.

Hope to get back out today to try out the wood stove and maybe get an interior shot or two. I would say it's about 1970's modern, will have to get a shot of the bright, orange sink. I asked the owner about the sink and he told me that he just liked orange, he later mentioned it was also a closeout at the local hardware store sometime in the late 70's and they needed a new sink. The house is in reasonably good shape but ready for some paint.

Since I know people like photos, the first shot is the house from the river and I also included a close up of the stone plaque above the door from the church dedication in 1897 when it was built. There is also a cornerstone from the mason that did the stone foundation in 1897 as well but didn't post that picture.

img_1516414_0_002418f128e33e8c7c06f8321e256d21.jpg

img_1516414_1_0ffc550b7a4463ddcc662d8cca8a4928.jpg

img_1516414_2_166e53b76c8f8eef31cb99dc4994a1c5.jpg

We bought our lakefront house in late October and it had already been winterized by the owner. Not getting to use it regularly right away took the edge off the excitement of our new purchase but we have enjoyed it so much since then that the delayed gratification is a distant memory.

Five years later we demolished and rebuilt and today the property is our year-round home.

Cool place, looks like it will be every thing from sweet and serene to barrels of hooligan fun.

Okay, are you going to have a choir? Maybe for the alpacas?

So cool, really. Great spot.

Congrats. Not sure what your plans are for the church but I've seen a number of tv shows where folks used it as a home and did beautiful renovations.

Looks like an amazing property. Congratulations on the purchase.

I am digging that old light fixture, very neat! 1897 construction, I bet you find some different methods and repairs made over the years. Overall very nice property on the river and enjoy your time there.

Looks very cool. Please post more pics.

Is there any risk of flooding?

Cool! I've wanted to live in a church ever since I read the Trevanian books (The Eiger Sanction, The Loo Sanction). Yours looks a little different, but still very cool.

South branch, I'm guessing in WV? We just inherited my Mom's house on the South Fork of the Shenandoah. A little more urban than it appears you are. We have 10 neighbors within a mile or so. We just winterized ours too. But hope to get some good kayaking and tubing done next year.

Nicely done!

If it's between dams #4 and #5 you may see me cruising on by in the Porta-Bote next spring.

Congrats! This property caught my eye when it was first listed so it was funny to see it mentioned here - small world!

Thanks to all for the replies and comments. Loved the videos. We hung out at the church yesterday afternoon and had a fire in the wood stove, warmed up the main room nicely. Will post some interior pics later. Plans now are to leave the place alone but will want to replace the front concrete stairs with a deck and possibly a ramp. Winds were up yesterday and only in the 50's so stayed off the river. Started investigating floating docks last night. May pick up a kerosene heater to use for quick visits as we don't want to leave the church with the stove still hot and would warm the place up more quickly.

The earliest picture of the church we've found is from 1952, well before the huge screened porch was added. Found this one hanging in a frame at the church so opened it up to see if there was anything on the back and found the date. We believe it was last used as a church in the early 40's and was closed after a big Methodist and Episcopalian conference in Kansas City in 1939. I found a record online that showed the Reverend Brandt from Romney attended the combining congress and the church trustees deeded the church to Brandt in 1940. He sold it to the father of the person we bought from in 1955. Will be fun to learn more. The MECS denomination was formed by a break up in the church well before the Civil War in a disagreement about slavery. We've not found any evidence of a cemetery around the church and if one had been in the front yard, all evidence could be long gone to the river. The area behind the church is a rock mountain that rises a few hundred feet so no way one would have been there. There was also a reproduction river map from 1901 that show there was a river crossing right at the church as well, it didn't have a name, just showed a ford at that point on the map.

Walt, we're just downstream from the Hanging Rocks on the South Branch which I'm guessing is about 5 or 6 river miles north of Romney.

As for flooding, the property is in the flood plain. In the "big" flood here in 1985, water reached the crawl space we were told. The last owner said that the water can be 10 or 15 feet higher at times than it is right now depending on winter snows. Most everyone in this area tells us that the flood of 1985 won't happen again because of changes in how the water is controlled now and because many of the bridges which caused debris to pile up and the be released in a torrent are gone or of a different construction now. As an example, the old iron bridge on Highway 50 west of Romney was replaced a few years ago with a much higher, concrete version.

Thanks again for the stories and encouragement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I use one of the same dual burner radiant heaters as imoldernu to heat my detached shop garage (approx 1200 sq ft). Propane is much easier than kerosene, burns clean without bad smell. It will add humidity to the room, which may be beneficial. wood is nice heat, but takes a long time to heat up, the propane is instantaneous - especially the radiant aspect if you are in-line with it.

Back
Top Bottom