Join Early Retirement Today

We Got 16 Inches of Snow!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We Got 16 Inches of Snow!!

Schools closed, shoveling all day............

My back hurts..........time for a heating pad............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Take a break and go skiing.

Missed us, all fell south of here. We got maybe an inch.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, so I guess I won't b*tch about 55 degrees and raining then.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

I'm not sure if I'll go to the pool or the beach tomorrow.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Thank your lucky stars that you only got 16 inches. Much of the Pacific NW is looking at almost 300% of normal moisture content in the snow fall.

We are praying for a cool spring and a slow snow melt.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #6

We only got about 1.5" of snow/slop. It started with fog & mist on Monday, then turned to rain about 2pm yesterday.....and rained steadily until about 10:30am today....at that point it switched over to light snow until it quit at 3 o'clock this afternoon.

It only took about 10 minutes to clear off the sidewalks, driveway, and the cars. I think we lucked out on this one....they'd predicted 6" to 10" of heavy, wet snow.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Schools closed, shoveling all day............

My back hurts..........time for a heating pad............

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I have so had it with all this damn snow! Every day it seems for the last two months it's snowing.

Thanks to our village plow trucks I got stuck in the wall of snow they plowed in front of my driveway last night. That on top of the fact that the plow trucks demolished my mailbox.

Every day now I tell my wife that there are financial services jobs in Phoenix and San Diego too.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!

I have so had it with all this damn snow! Every day it seems for the last two months it's snowing.

I was at Anna Marie Island yesterday and I was surprized at the number of vacancy signs for rentals . So leave the snow for awhile and mentally re group .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently returned from a funeral in Iowa via Chicago. One day it barely got above 0 degrees F.

OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway? Going there for a few days is a novelty, but living there must be agony. Monday I sat on the backporch with the dog where we drank a beer and watch the geese on the lake. 70 degrees, in February! I love the people in Iowa, but I just don't get why people live through the winters there. Even the summer heat isn't that pleasant there.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Dang! Its going to be 62-65 here today. I'd have to drive an hour up to tahoe to get some nice snow.

We went to the park yesterday with Gabe and I got a little sunburned sitting there in the sun in a tee shirt. Snacking on corndogs, fried chicken and watermellon. I had to move over to the shade after a while because it was too darn warm.

God Bless!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway?
Because all our friends are here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frosty.jpg (2.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Saski.jpg (2.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Yeti.jpg (3.0 KB, 113 views)
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I know we are not the only ones to have lived in a few places. We're pretty much where we want to be, climate wise, but in our travels, we did learn a little about human nature and the tendency to totally deceive ourselves make the most of a bad situation...

Tucson: "But it's a dry heat."
Wisconsin: "I'd miss the seasons. And the snow is so pretty."
Florida: "At least with hurricanes you have a few days warning."
California: "You get used to earthquakes (brush fires, mudslides, floods)."

Any others?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Changing seasons
Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

Changing seasons

Here in the Spokane, WA area, the winter has been extraordinarily brutal. Right now, high winds are drifting our above average snowfall all over the highways, shutting down several of them. Speaking of changing seasons, we plan to change ours Saturday by hopping on a jet to San Diego.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Talking on the cell - Tuesday's Mardis Gras broke some warm records held since 1957. 8 inches of snow on top of my vehicle north of Kansas City yesterday.

Could be a loooong February!

heh heh heh - After thirty years in New Orleans, snow is still kinda cool. So far!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post

OK snow bond people, help me on this. Why do people live in such climates anyway? Going there for a few days is a novelty, but living there must be agony. Monday I sat on the backporch with the dog where we drank a beer and watch the geese on the lake. 70 degrees, in February! I love the people in Iowa, but I just don't get why people live through the winters there. Even the summer heat isn't that pleasant there.

Because I love my family.

Honestly, that's the only reason. My wife and I live less than a mile from her parents and less than 5 from mine. All three of my sisters and their families live within 2 miles of me. We see all of them several times a week.

If it weren't for the family, we would be gone. I'm an outdoors lover, I just can't stand being inside. It really makes me depressed for 6 months of the year

Here is the depressing view from my office

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #16

Yesterday in the New York City are it was a record breaking 68 degrees. January set a record for having no more then a dusting of snow once and we still haven't had any measurable snow. Let's it hear it for global warming.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The local weather guys updated out snowfall total to 20 INCHES!!!

But the snow is so "pretty"..........

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I know we are not the only ones to have lived in a few places. We're pretty much where we want to be, climate wise, but in our travels, we did learn a little about human nature and the tendency to totally deceive ourselves make the most of a bad situation...

Tucson: "But it's a dry heat."
Florida: "At least with hurricanes you have a few days warning."
California: "You get used to earthquakes (brush fires, mudslides, floods)."

Any others?
Alabama: "It's not the heat, it't the humidity that kills you"

Pacific Northwest: "It doesn't rain THAT MUCH"........

Texas: "Everything's bigger here, even the hail".........

Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #19

Central Ohio: Does the Sun ever shine between Halloween and the 4th of July?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
.... we did learn a little about human nature and the tendency to totally deceive ourselves make the most of a bad situation...

Any others?
Northern IL - close to WI. I would miss the seasons, and the snow *is* pretty. Add family ties to that.

Also, add the fact that the alternatives are not really that attractive to some people. Personally, I absolutely hate warm/hot, humid weather. I mean hate it. I hate the few weeks of hot/humid we get here. I hate the idea of having to routinely spray the house with pesticides. I hate mold and termites, and stuff like that.

I took a break this morning, drove 5 minutes to the forest preserve and did an hour of cross-country skiing - absolutely beautiful scenery. A foot of fresh snow, trees all covered. Breathtaking.

Yes, the winter weather gets tiring at times, but overall I like the trade-offs. If I didn't, I would move. Simple as that. But not to Florida, though I'm glad other people like it there. To each their own.

Martha mentioned -30 degree days in MN in another thread. Man, *that* is cold. We had a -27 degree day here years ago, and a stretch of -20-22 lows a few years back. It's just painful, the tires on your car have flat spots on them for miles until they 'warm up' to -15 or something from the friction of driving. The radio knobs are stiff, the trans shifter has to be forced, ..... I'd have trouble with that being any sort of every year event. But again, to each their own. Their personal tradeoffs must make the entire package worth it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote