Join Early Retirement Today

We have much bigger problems than the markets...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have much bigger problems than the markets...

...I've just been informed that we're about to be invaded by kangaroo rats from outer space.

Scientists to count kangaroo rats from outer space - Yahoo! News

Scientists are busy trying to count them, presumably to ascertain the level of the threat.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

i would personally prefer blunt-nosed lizards from outer space. i hear they taste like chicken.

thanks for the funny to distract us from the carnage!

want me to hop on a train south to Wall St and kick some butt ? i'm only 4 1/2 hours away..

Old 09-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

It's like they always say -- if alien kangaroo rats invade Earth, we're so screwed that your portfolio is the least of your concerns.....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Theres more bad news Ziggy...apparently the rats can be directly converted to biodiesel just by pulling on their tails. Crude oil is expected to drop to $22 a barrel. Secretary Paulson has already been scheduled to visit all holders of USO at their homes and slap them in the face.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #5

Hmph. And y'all mock an important advance in scientific research.

No sense of priorities!

Just pull on their tails? Really?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yep, and if you're really quick, right after you pull the tail you can take a sip and the first one is beer, followed by the biodiesel.

Well...if you're used to drinking budweiser the first sip tastes like beer anyhow.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, and if you're really quick, right after you pull the tail you can take a sip and the first one is beer, followed by the biodiesel.

Well...if you're used to drinking budweiser the first sip tastes like beer anyhow.
Budweiser, biodiesel, what's the difference?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Piffle, those biofuel producing alien rats are old technology. My dad showed me 50 years ago that if you pull the finger of any middle age guy you get biogas.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

OMG, I love a story with a Fresno dateline that is not titled, "how hot is it today."

I've only gotten a 1/3 cup of coffee in me and just came from the "Grapes of Wrath" thread, wake up, Bunny is being serious here! The rats have been driven from their habitat, the ecosystem has been destroyed by two-legged creatures from the east. Help indeed is coming from outer space. This is not sci-fi.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I think I'm safe in Florida from the kangeroo rats not the dropping portfolio because aliens usually land in Texas or is it Oklahoma ?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

New Mexico.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
New Mexico.

Close enough to cross the border into Texas and add to the other critters .
Old 09-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Close enough to cross the border into Texas and add to the other critters .
You're both so wrong, I could scream. The answer is Florida, nincompoops, Florida!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

They havent been seen in the south yet because they delayed their landings due to the hurricanes.

This delay also resulted in their using up their internal beer reserve. So all y'all just get the furry oil.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Piffle, those biofuel producing alien rats are old technology. My dad showed me 50 years ago that if you pull the finger of any middle age guy you get biogas.
And that's a fact....not just folklore or urban legend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chrome-cheap-gas-pull-finger.jpg (5.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
And that's a fact....not just folklore or urban legend!
-
Yes, it's true, I've done controlled studies; it works on any finger, not just the index.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I've only gotten a 1/3 cup of coffee in me and just came from the "Grapes of Wrath" thread, wake up, Bunny is being serious here! The rats have been driven from their habitat, the ecosystem has been destroyed by two-legged creatures from the east. Help indeed is coming from outer space. This is not sci-fi.
i could swear i just saw a Jackelope in my back yard. or was it a Hareibou? i get them confused all the time.

and now Alien Kangarats?

um...just HOW FAR EAST are we talking about here?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:01 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think I'm safe in Florida from the kangeroo rats not the dropping portfolio because aliens usually land in Texas or is it Oklahoma ?
Yeah you might be safe from the kangaroo rats invasion in Florida, but not from the mammoth iguana invasion...

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Breaking news on CNN... Apparently there is nothing more important to report at this hour...
Old 09-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

this reminds me of some of those old B movies, where someone flushed a pet alligator (brought back from vacation in FL) down the toilet in Brooklyn and it mutated and terrorized the subways...

but who's gonna argue with a 6 foot iguana?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ataaaaaack of the killer tomaaaaaatooooooeees...

I should point out that today I got silly and the market went way up. Yesterday I was grouchy.

Maybe all y'all should help keep me out of the grumpy zone and in the silly area.