Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I keep bottles and cans of carbonated mineral water around for when I crave a soda - the grapefruit flavor (no sugar or artificial sweetener - just a bit of flavor essence) is my favorite but I also get lemon and lime for a change.
Yes, I drink some of that too. I used to get the LaCroix (lime flavor is favorite). HEB has a store brand as well which is just as good but cheaper so I buy that more often.

When looking for sparkling water (how it is usually described in the store) you have to really look carefully at the labels to make sure that it doesn't have sugar (some do) or artificial sweetener (some do as well).

What I really want is the carbonated water with some flavor but also with caffeine. I've found some that have caffeine but they either have sugar or artificial sweetener. I haven't been able to find one without any sweetener but which do have caffeine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I always assumed it was the phosphoric acid in cola. Do you perhaps have a link to show that carbonic acid is harmful?

I presonally doubt that it is, but I have never investigated it.

Ha
See this:
Carbonic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I hope your dining companions are the forgiving type...

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Thanks for disabusing me of my perception of equivalence. I like my water with gas in restaurants.
We always had a big chuckle when at a restaurant in Italy they asked you if you wanted your water with or without gas.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Yes, I drink some of that too. I used to get the LaCroix (lime flavor is favorite). HEB has a store brand as well which is just as good but cheaper so I buy that more often.

When looking for sparkling water (how it is usually described in the store) you have to really look carefully at the labels to make sure that it doesn't have sugar (some do) or artificial sweetener (some do as well).

What I really want is the carbonated water with some flavor but also with caffeine. I've found some that have caffeine but they either have sugar or artificial sweetener. I haven't been able to find one without any sweetener but which do have caffeine.
Do they still make No-Doze? Sorry, couldn't resist. We really like the HEB lightly flavored sparkling water too.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

My gal went from 8+ cans of diet Dr. Pepper/day to carbonated water - which, after several cases from CostlyCo, my thrrrrifty self started making. Water of choice (in La Quinta the purified stuff for $.25/gallon from the machine, in Oregon city water from West Salem from a tap at our apartments) + ~ $150 worth of gauges/regulators and several tanks of CO2. Our setup should provide as much carbonated water as we can swill at a cost of about a nickle a bottle in LQ for the next few years, less as time passes. Flavorings haven't been much of a hit, though scotch, canadian, vodka and such seem to mix pretty well.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I add a bit of fruit juice like cranapple or cranberry to my water also.
That's a pretty good idea. I might give that a try as a soda substitute.

My main problem is all the sweets at my mother's house. She's in her 90's and it takes calories from candy, pastries and ice cream to keep her weight up. Me being the weak soul that I am, I nibble on all her snacks. I'm not grossly over weight, but could stand to lose 8-10 lbs.

Oh well....I will try harder next year.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

wow, reading your delima is dejavu. I too was addicted to soda pop. Dr. Pepper to be specific. The sugar was makn me fat. I think what i was addicted to was the carbination bubbles, which would help me wake up. A nurse recommended getting the Soda Stream machine, and use a very small amount of DR Pepper syrup. That way, I get my fix of carbonated water with a tiny bit of flavor to peak my interest, but far far less sugar than a Bottled Dr Pepper. Now, i cant drink a Bottled Dr Pepper. Seams very heavy to me and way to sugary. It didnt take long to wein off the full blown Pop. I feel better, and drinking maybe a 10th of the sugar amount. I still like the bubbly fix, without the huge amounts of sugar.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #49

Try beer or champagne instead.

But seriously, I can go off soda with iced tea. I used to have some sort of iced tea appliance that was a pain to use and clean, but now I use (good) loose leaf tea, a plain sauce pot and a fine-mesh strainer to make it, and it's a lot easier to do and clean up. (At one point I was using a wide-mesh strainer and a paper towel; that worked okay.)

When I'm in the tea groove I keep one ready-to-drink pitcher and an undiluted batch in the fridge ready to refill the pitcher when it's emptied.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Periodically through my life, I have tried to wean myself off soda. Generally works for awhile, but after a week or two I get sick and CRAVE soda in the worst possible way. Hard to describe what I mean by "sick" but it's just a general tired, nausea, irritable feeling. For instance, I have had three sodas in the past 10 days or so (low for me) and last night at around 9pm, it's like my body demanded a soda. Fortunately (I guess ) I had a ginger ale in the refrigerator, drank it, and have felt fine since. I was thinking my sugar level may have been low, but it works just as well if I drink diet soda without sugar. My body seems to crave the sweet taste after awhile. I have also heard that when you start healthy eating habits, after a week or two, your body starts getting rid of the toxins in your body and you start to feel sick. Maybe that is what is going on. Every time I have had these cravings, I have given in with either a soda or cookies. Just wondering why I get these sweet cravings. Does anyone have any insights about this? I have told this to my doctor and he does not seem too concerned. I do not have diabetes or low sugar (at least not earlier in the year when I had blood work).
I think your doctor should be very concerned. If you substitute water for soda (and other unhealthy substances) then you might not need to visit "your" doctor anymore.

If it's any consolation, you were about a week short of kicking the taste. Your tastebuds will reset in 3-4 weeks when you cut out sugar, artificial sweeteners, and salt. I only drink soda a few times a year now, and it's cloyingly sweet. If cold turkey is driving you nuts then you could try an "emergency fund" of a few ounces diluted in water.

Are you able to determine what triggers your craving? I haven't had a beer for nearly two years, and I'm not interested 99% of the time, but when I see a bikini beer commercial or smell good Tex-Mex food then suddenly a beer seems totally appropriate to my monkey brain. Your senses of smell, taste, or sight somehow persuaded the rest of your body to crave that soda.

One of the incentives (for me, anyway) to give up soda was accidentally learning how powerful those scrubbing bubbles can be on mineral stains. Of course I'm almost positive that our digestive systems have enough mucous to buffer the phosphoric & carbonic acid. Yeah, that should be OK. No problem. Sure.

When I was in a college instrumental chemistry class, I did HPLC runs on Mountain Dew-- the full-calorie full-caffeine brew that they used to sell in the early 1980s. It makes today's Red Bull look like soy milk.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I have never been much of a soda drinker. I like beer instead.

However, I do keep ginger ale and Saranac root beer http://www.saranac.com/page/root-beer
in the garage. When I get a soda crave, I have exactly one soda on ice in a pint glass and thoroughly enjoy it.

My solution for a sweet drink crave is either homemade fruit tea, iced with no added sugar
http://www.englishteastore.com/herba...-leaf-ols.html
OR
a pint glass filled with water and ice, a nice healthy sqirt of RealLemon lemon juice or lime juice and half a packet of powdered Stevia.
Great stuff!