Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Weather
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
and the surfer girls are starting to wear full-coverage bottoms instead of thongs...
... bummer!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #22

Snowed in Malibu a couple of days ago...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini-surfer-Action.jpg (55.7 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Mini-surfer-Action.jpg_thumb (37.4 KB, 0 views)

Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ice on my windsheild this past week two days in a row. Highs were in the low sixties, but we are warming back up to the seventies now. Phew! I thought I was going to have to wear a jacket! Can't beat Nords, though.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #24

More snow for the Denver area coming up this weekend! Yippee! The temperature has only inched above freezing for a day or two since around December 20. This morning in the news someone was quoted as asking "I'd like someone to tell me when I moved to Minnesota!" I've also heard reports that normally happy Coloradoans are getting cranky and actually beeping their horns at people during rush hour traffic.

There's still two or three inches of packed ice from the first big snow dump at Christmas on the streets in my neighborhood and now it's bumpy and wavy so while driving around the neighborhood your car's suspension system gets a nice workout.

At least the sun has been nice and bright, even though the 20 degree weather forces you to wear two layers of polartec and a down parka. :
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #25

we've got some freak high set up over florida which is keeping the cool air out. my garden seems confused. stuff that normally flowers in winter has already gone out of bloom. bamboo is starting to sprout months early and even the cypress tree is starting to green already.

i was hoping the snowbirds would also get confused and go home early but i don't see that happening.

rewahoo!, great pic. i've never seen frozen cactus before.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Great Lakes are wide open with no ice in sight.

A big Arctic flow could result in record snow.

We had over 3' in early December in one major dump but it was gone in 4 or 5 days.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #27

hardly ever look at electric bill as i'm on autopilot so bills go on autopay. no doubt due to my participation on this forum, i happened to notice a drop in my dec/jan bill (to 881 kwh from 1094 kwh). this is usually higher because i only have elec reverse cycle air for heat during our chilly florida winters. so for what is usually one of my most expensive months, i only had to pay $102.75. thank you el nino.

edit: just noticed you can see where wilma hit back in 05. electric use dropped because we were out for 2 weeks, that's also when real estate dropped but we never knew because we didn't have much television, radio or newspaper delivery. and of course, by the time we finished clearing the debris, the profits cleared from the market as well.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #28

yesterday we hit 85 or 86 degrees, a new record high for jan 23rd. two of my bamboos are sprouting new shoots way early, including this sacred bali. first view is out the florida room (note the nice new picture windows which replaced the old jalousies & the way cool grape leaf bird bath on grape vine pedestal....

and here is a close-up showing how the morning sun lights it up from behind. i get a similar light towards sunset lighting it from the side but the canopy overhead keeps most direct light out during the day. when the sun hits this bamboo just right it lights up like stalks of fluorescent lamps. the stalks with the purple are the new ones. the new one up front is already as tall as me and it only started growing about 4 weeks ago.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Lazy, what a beautiful garden.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #30

thank you martha. i've got the entire property looking like that. almost everyone who sees it says i should open the gardens for public tours.

i'll post more pics later. i'm planning to do a watch-the-bamboo-grow post similar to nords' past pineapple exhibition. the sacred bali is averaging about 2.5 inches per day. i'm going to feature one of the black bamboos as i think it will show up very well in pics and it grows even faster. usually grows in summer but with this weather could be early as well. hopefully i'll be around during the weeks when it sprouts or i'll miss seeing it grow. i'll come home and it will be 40 ft tall.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #31

Definitely a nice garden. Lazy and Nords have me wanting to go someplace warm again already and I just came home 1/13/07. I want to go back to Hawaii!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Lazy, what kind bamboo should I plant if I have a black thumb? Jealous of your garden, man.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Various plants sprouted in the December/January 'heat wave'; I wonder how they will fare when the temperature gets down to 10F.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, December and early January were way milder than normal here in the U.P. of Michigan, with much less snow than normal also. Now, it seems like we are getting back to a more normal winter pattern, with colder temps and a little more snow. 3 more years of this to go for me and DW, and then we will be retired and free to spend the winters in warmer climes if we choose to do so. But, even this winter, I have a 2-week vacation in the Bahamas to look forward to, coming up in early March. Hey Cut-Throat, when are you going down there.......February, was it? I believe you go to Andros....we head for Eleuthera. Getting my fishing and snorkeling gear ready now, I can't wait......
Old 01-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Definitely a nice garden. Lazy and Nords have me wanting to go someplace warm again already and I just came home 1/13/07. I want to go back to Hawaii!
thanx dreamer. know what you mean about mine & nords' paradises. this is part of the reason why people pay prime bucks to be here. i've loved tropical living ever since my parents took this jersey kid to st. croix. my heart has been there ever since. will be tough to sell this house in five years but i think if i found myself on big island or on a boat or in or near the jungles in thailand, really any place beautiful, i'd be able to sell my garden for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Lazy, what kind bamboo should I plant if I have a black thumb? Jealous of your garden, man.
laurence, your thumb isn't black, you just haven't found the right nurseryman yet. now click your heals three times and then click here www.tropicalbamboo.com

this guy's great. robert is president of our local bamboo society & throws parties for his customers. he ships but also you'll find materials local to you. i posted his web site so you can see what grows in your area. he specifies temperature toleration, height & width of plants.

he only sells clumping bamboo which is what you'll want as opposed to spreading bamboo. a friend of mine unknowingly put a spreader in her yard which has taken over and is now coming up all over her neighbor's yard, a guy who was tortured in vietnam. so she's pretty much turned his backyard into his nightmare.

many of the clumpers are simply gorgeous. you'll make your selection by height, desired width (of stalk and leaves), color, texture and temperature range of your area. clumpers come in tight or loose varieties. bamboo is thick or thin-walled. the stalks come as smooth as golden hawaiian or as furry as teddy bear bamboo.

i think bamboo is the fastest growing plant in the world. that doesn't mean it will spread fast, you might only get very few new shoots each year. growth speed refers to how quickly each stalk attains height. it freaks me out every time. bamboo is actually just a grass and so if you can grow a good lawn you'll grow good bamboo. fortunately i've managed to have it grow in canopy conditions which tends to make the leaves larger to catch more light. they like a well drained soil. not a ton of water but they do not like to dry out. most people think of them as strictly tropical but they also grow where it snows. think panda bear.

i always buy the smallest (pot-sized) plant available, never paying for stepped-up sizes. when buying bamboo you will think you are getting ripped-off because, depending on species, it can be a lot of money for just a scrawny twig or two. but within a year you will be very happy with your purchase. keep in mind, when planting, what the plant will look like at maturity. within two years of digging that whole, you will be amazed at what your black thumb grew from that little twig.

edit: i should note that bamboo is a bit messy, loves mulch and makes its own as it grows. so if you are anal retentive about keeping a neat lawn, bamboo might not be for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Various plants sprouted in the December/January 'heat wave'; I wonder how they will fare when the temperature gets down to 10F.
you might just lose a season of growth. as long as the roots don't get badly damaged your plants should be ok.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We got caught in the great "50 year" Albuquerque NM snow storm between just before New Year's 2007. Just a week before, someone mentioned that Albuquerque "only" gets about 3 snows a winter and the snow usually melts before noon.

Then we got walloped!

Here are some pics. We ended up with a foot of snow on top of the motorhome. It took WEEKS for the snow to melt. In the meantime the snow kept the area in a deep freeze - kind of a self-perpetuating kind of weather.

Audrey
Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #37

If you want to know just how bad the roads are in Denver in the aftermath of the three snow storms. Check out the stories on "Rocky Road" http://cbs4denver.com/rockyroad

I have never lived anywhere this bad. Do the streets in Minneapolis for example stay snow packed with big ice ruts all winter?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
If you want to know just how bad the roads are in Denver in the aftermath of the three snow storms. Check out the stories on "Rocky Road" http://cbs4denver.com/rockyroad

I have never lived anywhere this bad. Do the streets in Minneapolis for example stay snow packed with big ice ruts all winter?
No, because we plow all our streets and use tons of salt and sand. We have lots of plows where I live (farther north) and they are on the road as soon as they can be.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #39

I've lived in Anchorage, Fort Worth and Indianapolis. Texas has more winter driving problems than the others, although every beginning of winter in Anchorage and Indiana there are a slew of ditched cars at the first snow to remind people you have to drive differently. (I figure these are snow noobs.)

There are two factors. One is that the northern areas have more winter weather and therefore have the equipment and staffing to deal with it. Secondly snow isn't that bad to drive on. It's melting snow and refreezing water that are really problematic, and in the more southern states you melt and refreeze during the day/night cycle whereas in the north things stay cold.

In Anchorage it stayed snowy enough we had a set of studded tires for wintertime. And there are different rubber types for tires that stay softer and have better traction in colder weather...northern cars are more likely to have those. They wear faster on pavement, though, so they don't make much sense for warmer climates.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quite warm out here this week, and dry as a bone. Gabe and I played in the circle out front of the house most of the day wearing tee shirts...until the mosquito's came out around 5...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote