Join Early Retirement Today

Web Cam
Old 04-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Web Cam

I know nothing about web cams but with a new grandson in another state I want to purchase one or two ( I guess we need one for each house ) . Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have had good luck with Logitech's webcams using Yahoo as the chat program. Have not used one in a couple of year, however.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

For some reason personal web cams never really caught on,but if you hook one up to your computer and another is hooked up to the computer in the grandsons house you will be able to view each other when you are both connected,your local big box electronic store should have small web cams starting at $12.99
Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #4

With our son and his fiancee living in NC and our daughter living in NYC we bought three Logitech web cams (about $25 each). Using Skype public domain software (free download) we can have video chats whenever we like. The cameras work well with cable modem connection. We also gave FIL a camera but his DSL connection doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth for decent sound and video quality.

Grumpy
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #5

Just make sure the webcam will work with your operating system. DW bought one for Vista (only worked with Vista), but her PC was XP...didn't work. Had to buy one for XP.

Sometimes it takes a littley toying with, but we have no trouble with it now. We are typically apart for about 6-8 weeks in the summer, and use Skype and webcam to stay in touch. Works great.

R
Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I bought an expensive Logitech webcam last year to use with skype. The camera was great (great optics, great picture, great resolution, great features) but the driver and software were disastrous (tried it on both XP and vista computers, same results). They kept crashing all the time and I got really frustrated with it. I tried to reinstall and it worked great for a while but as soon as the software updated it would be all screwed up again. I bought another Logitech camera, much simpler model, used it on a different computer (windows 2000), same bugs...
I finally bought a Microsoft LiveCam and I have been very happy with it. It's not as fancy as the first Logitech camera I bought, the picture is probably not as good either, but it has never let me down.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #7

Logitech but, as mentioned, all will need a High Speed (Cable?) internet connections or IMO you will not be happy.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I know nothing about web cams but with a new grandson in another state I want to purchase one or two ( I guess we need one for each house ) . Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated !
Hi Moe!
Super idea. Let me know how you make out. I'm going to be a grandpa TODAY!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
Hi Moe!
Super idea. Let me know how you make out. I'm going to be a grandpa TODAY!!!!!!!!

Congratulations , Is this the first ?

Ps It was Rich's idea
Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #10

I have a Mac and an Image CCD web cam for my "conversations" with my daughter in Berlin. Works great with Yahoo instant messaging since I can't hear over phones. She uses skype to call my landline phone and it shows her skype "name" in my caller id...then that's my signal that she wants to "see" me via my web cam and instant messaging. Works pretty good.