Join Early Retirement Today

Web sites to track election?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Web sites to track election?

Are there any good “2008 electoral college” web sites that are updated frequently? I’d like one that is unpartisan that shows a map of the states and which presidential candidate is leading each state, and also shows when the map has been last updated and what the changes were. I seem to remember one in 2004 that was good. It showed all the states and listed each state as strongly democrat or republican, weak democrat or republican, or toss-up. I did a search and found the site “270towin.com” but am not sure when it was last updated. Thanks.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:07 AM   #2

I didn't see a state-by-state breakdown, but the Gallup Daily Poll provides a weekly update using aggregated data in three groups:

Candidate Support by "Red," "Purple," and "Blue" States

The current tally shows Obama ahead 46 to 44 in the swing states.

I found this graph on the front page of their election page interesting.

Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
Are there any good “2008 electoral college” web sites that are updated frequently? I’d like one that is unpartisan that shows a map of the states and which presidential candidate is leading, and also shows when the map has been last updated and what the changes were. I seem to remember one in 2004 that was good. It showed all the states and listed each state as strongly democrat or republican, weak democrat or republican, or toss-up. I did a search and found the site “270towin.com” but am not sure when it was last updated. Thanks.
I like the election scorecard feature at slate.com the best for this. See here Slate Magazine

They also update house, senate and state governor races.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #4

Good one, at least in the type of display.

The Slate estimates show Obama has a big electoral vote lead. By my math, if the leans / solid estimates fall into line as they predict, McCain needs 79 of the 84 swing state electoral votes to get to 270.

I hope the E-R net sleuths can find some more sites for comparison, like another one I just found at pollster.com.

It also shows Obama with a lead, but with a slightly larger number of swing state electoral votes (102).
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yahoo has this one, which shows Obama leading McKain 250 to 237.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure if it's exactly what you want, but www.realclearpolitics.com aggregates daily articles and keeps polls on the side, does averaging, and usually gets more goodies as elections draw closer.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Just out of curiousity, should a topic like this be in the Soapbox? I only ask because I've got the Soapbox forum on ignore until after the election to avoid all the flaming. This is a non-partisan and polite thread, but I'm curious how the differentiation between Soapbox and Other is made. Just in case I decide to get back in the fray.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It'll end up there soon.

Doesnt matter what the tracking web sites have to say. Obama will win because McCain picked the worst vice presidential candidate since Tom Eagleton.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
It'll end up there soon.

Doesnt matter what the tracking web sites have to say. Obama will win because McCain picked the worst vice presidential candidate since Tom Eagleton.

Wow! No self fulfilling prophecies allowed! You weren't happy just to predict it's soap box trajectory, you had to help!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm always there for the members...

But if Sarah gets a case of the vapors and has to be hospitalized, I'll relent and give her first place.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Sarah, Sarah, storms are brewin' in your eyes...no time is a good time for goodbye!

Old 09-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Didja know that the betting folks take odds on presidential candidates dropping their vp candidates? She has the worst odds of any vp candidate ever.

Someone looked at Obama and Clinton and said "We neeeed....someone young and inexperienced...and someone female!

And nobody in the room had enough of a brain to say that wasnt a good set of characteristics.

Aint ya glad I have the soapbox on 'ignore'?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
Are there any good “2008 electoral college” web sites that are updated frequently? I’d like one that is unpartisan that shows a map of the states and which presidential candidate is leading each state, and also shows when the map has been last updated and what the changes were.
This one is updated nearly every day, and I think it gives most of what you want. I find the commentary/editorial on the page favors Democratic candidates, but I think the poll numbers are unbiased.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

www.fivethirtyeight.com is quite good, and very interesting if you like math. The projections are derived from polls, discounted by the historical reliability and accuracy of the pollster. The site also shows distributions of likely scenarios.
Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote