Join Early Retirement Today

We'd had a few beers and then...
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #1

We'd had a few beers and then...

I got this bright idea.

Since we'd been playing with a new acetylene welding torch I thought of adjusting it to a perfect flame with the oxygen, snuffing out the flame, filling a plastic milk gallon jug with the gas (both heavier than air so it would stay there), placing the jug in a paper grocery bag, take it over to the school's field, and light the bag on fire.

Good thing we put it at the opposite end of the field. Even then we were surprised that resulting explosion didn't blow out some windows. It was the kind you can feel the concussion in your chest 200 yards away.

30+ years ago and we still laugh at the idiocy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW!! That sure beats the heck out of the cherry bombs we had on the fourth of July. You're lucky somebody didn't get seriously hurt.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #3

Famous last words: "Hey, Zeke! Watch this!"
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to belong to a completely legal, permit-getting, federally-approved-storage-having fireworks club. We had a guy do that with 39 gallon trash bags. You know how you hear static sparks sometimes when you open up a trash bag?

Well, to make a long story short - it didn't happen to him because, as safety director at the time, I instantly banned it.

Anyway, the booms would knock the air out of your lungs and make you cough at about a hundred feet away.

It was great while it lasted.

Mike D.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Darwin award?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #6

Job security for me

DD
Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Administrator

Oddly, many girls don't seem to get into explosives during our teen years.

As I recall, we get sidetracked in front of a mirror, trying various hair gel and eyeliner experiments.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
As I recall, we get sidetracked in front of a mirror, trying various hair gel and eyeliner experiments.
...and hope they don't blow up on you.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Famous last words: "Hey, Zeke! Watch this!"
South of the Mason-Dixon line it goes something like....

"Hey Bubba...hold my beer and what this!"
Old 05-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds much better than my best friend's claim to fame: he discovered the hard way why it is important to pick one with a long fuse when you decide to stick an M-80 in a dogpile, light it, and run. He got about 5 feet away when it went off. Splat.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #11

I did that too! Age about nine or ten.

But I had sense enough to use a long fuse and be close to the edge of a hill that I could dive over. I still remember the look on my friend's face: Astonished disbelief followed by near-panic as he followed me over the hill.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I got this bright idea.

Since we'd been playing with a new acetylene welding torch I thought of adjusting it to a perfect flame with the oxygen, snuffing out the flame, filling a plastic milk gallon jug with the gas (both heavier than air so it would stay there), placing the jug in a paper grocery bag, take it over to the school's field, and light the bag on fire.

Good thing we put it at the opposite end of the field. Even then we were surprised that resulting explosion didn't blow out some windows. It was the kind you can feel the concussion in your chest 200 yards away.

30+ years ago and we still laugh at the idiocy.
Wow! Liked have seen and felt that...
You wouldn't want to do that today what with us being on Orange alert level and all.

some months ago there was the story of the guy that didn't want to go to the expense of disposing of a junk dump truck and decided to explode it ito oblivion - it set off a high alert at the nuclear power plant close by - Video

the the guy and his parents are a hoot...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don't try this at home

Early 60's, a good friend didn't show up at school one morning. His girlfriend said he was in the hospital, he blew his finger off.

Turns out he was stuffing a toy die cast metal cannon with match heads and something set it off while he was holding it. It didn't really blow his whole finger off, just took the hide off his index finger on his right hand. A skin graft from his thigh replaced the missing tissue.

Then he went on to become a dentist and still remembers how he almost ended his career before it started. Not much of a market for nine fingered dentists.

The whole incident cooled everyones desire for pyrotechnics for a few weeks, then we were all back at the afterschool experiments behind the garage.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oddly, many girls don't seem to get into explosives during our teen years.
Neither gender seems to grow out of it upon reaching adulthood. Yours is less dangerous, and ours is more fun that doesn't really lessen with age. But in some professions you would think we would know better.

I knew a fire fighter who decided to eradicate the fire ants living under the concrete path to his front door by using gasoline. Lots of gasoline. Which he proceeded to ignite with a match, while standing on top of the path. Granted it was a weekend and he got this idea while drinking beer and grilling burgers, but you would just think that there would have been a small voice saying "this is not a smart thing you're about to do".
Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #15

Leo, that happened to one of my cousins last fall--I barely got the words out "don't light that" before the wha-hoom! and there went all his leg hair! Gawd he stunk!

We are big fans of the potato cannon--hardly a party goes by without the cannon getting brought out! We find potatoes for days after! That's my friend Amy from Maine with the cannon down at the Edisto River last spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Potato cannon.jpg (728.1 KB, 4 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We are big fans of the potato cannon--hardly a party goes by without the cannon getting brought out! We find potatoes for days after! That's my friend Amy from Maine with the cannon down at the Edisto River last spring.
Ah, a fellow potato-canoneer! My BiL, a very dangerous man who wants to own a "real" cannon someday, got my kids interested in this. After the first shot I was a more than willing participant.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
Not much of a market for nine fingered dentists.
Oh, I dont' know. You wouldn't have to open so wide...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #18

We have a friend with a real cannon (shoots #10 blanks) and it is ridiculously loud! We told him he couldn't bring it to the last party as there is not enough doggie valium in the world to keep the dogs from freaking out when it fires. I won't let anyone shoot real guns after 4 pm on party days--too many beers involved!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

In my experience, guns and party do not mix...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
In my experience, guns and party do not mix...
I knew I was getting older when the invitations to parties I attended included the request "no guns please." Those were the ones that also said "Bring your wife but not your girlfriend."