Join Early Retirement Today

Wedding complications
Old 12-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wedding complications

Shhhhhh my daughter is getting married, but no one knows yet.

Husband-2-B is from Brazil - he is finishing up his masters here. Anyway, here's the problem. They don't want gifts (just $$)

A few months after the wedding they plan to move to Brazil for a few years. That's the reason they don't want gifts. They plan to sell almost everything they have before they move.

My daughter says the wedding invitations should not include anything about gifts and under normal circumstances I would agree. I feel that their plans should be included, some way or another, on the invitations, so that people can read between the lines, so to speak.

Any ideas?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

On the invitations: "As we are soon moving out of the country, no store-bought gifts please."

?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the card that tells them where the reception is, why not say somthing like, Please join us in celebrating with him and her before they relocate to Brazil....
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have to have some couth to be able to answer this one.

Here's a link that may be helpful.
Wedding Cash Gift Etiquette
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

How to Ask for Monetary Donations on Wedding Invitations | eHow.com

"If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way.
A gift of cash towards our life in Brazil, would really make our day.

However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way."
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
gone traveling

"as we will be moving to Brazil, the best presents would be your presence"
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
How to Ask for Monetary Donations on Wedding Invitations | eHow.com

"If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way.
A gift of cash towards our life in Brazil, would really make our day.

However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way."

Hmmm...a poem....
Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Tonight my hubbie's going to see all,
And for gifts, make it a real*.

*or preferably many of them.

Get it?
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #9

Okay, are you ready to hear from Sarah aka Emily Post?

Etiquette demands that you make no mention of gifts whatsoever on invitations to formal events such as weddings. Period. No ifs ands or buts.

What should take place, is that those invited to said events are presumed to be close enough to family members (such as yourself, siblings, mother of the groom, etc) that they will ask: "where is DD registered for gifts?" or "what should we get them?".

At that time (and only at that time) the kind guest can be told that the young couple are planning a move to Brazil immediately following the wedding and have thus chosen not to register for gifts that would be difficult to ship to South America.

It is up to you, and other family members, to decide if you are close enough to the person asking, and they are amenable to the suggestion, that they give a monetary gift. Otherwise you should just say that their presence at the wedding will be a wonderful gift to the couple.

In many cultures, money is given at the wedding to the groom (even in our very southern and non-money giving culture, we still got around $500 handed over in cash to DH) for the honeymoon.

It is positively tacky to include solicitation for gifts of any kind on an invitation, even with the very best of intentions. A gracious bride does not expect anything from invited guests but their attendance.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Shhhhhh my daughter is getting married, but no one knows yet.

Husband-2-B is from Brazil - he is finishing up his masters here. Anyway, here's the problem. They don't want gifts (just $$)

A few months after the wedding they plan to move to Brazil for a few years. That's the reason they don't want gifts. They plan to sell almost everything they have before they move.

My daughter says the wedding invitations should not include anything about gifts and under normal circumstances I would agree. I feel that their plans should be included, some way or another, on the invitations, so that people can read between the lines, so to speak.

Any ideas?
Here in Spain couples tend to marry once they have their own place fully furnished......so they don´t want/need the usual/typical home gifts.
Your problem -by no means unusual-is more and more frequently solved nowadays by them blatantly and unsubtly putting on the invitation card.....account number...... Bank....

Another solution is to pay for their honeymoon, organized by a "commitee" of their invitees.

None of these gigs sit well with your typical older attendants.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Well, congratulations to all!

btw...can they have a wedding registry in Brazil that folks in the States can use?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #12

Just say you are using BofA's gift registry.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #13

Thanks everyone.... I will pass on some suggestions to the bride and groom.

They are supposed to return to the U.S in a couple of years but I have a feeling they may be in another country all together by then. They may never need gifts.

Hopefully we won't offend anyone with what is decided. Word of mouth as "Emily" suggested might be the only proper way. I just know I don't want to store a bunch of STUFF here. Now that would really be a problem.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations ! I would go with not mentioning anything about gifts and when asked tell people the situation. I think most people give cash anymore for weddings . When my daughter got married she only got a few gifts of items the rest were all checks.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #15

I agree with the other opinions that the invitations should go out with no mention of gifts of any kind. Some people will call and ask about the registry and I would say something like "They are moving to Brazil and will be living in tight quarters so they decided not to register anywhere". I think this should do the trick.
The only thing I ever give these days as a wedding gift is a check, whether the couple has a registry or not. The only exception I made was a couple of years ago when well-to-do friends in their fifties tied the knot and had a casual cocktail party in their backyard by way of celebration (after their city hall ceremony). I knew the bride liked antiques so I brought a vintage champagne bucket with a bottle of Schramsberg brut nestled inside.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

I agree with Sarah in SC Emily Post above. Do not mention anything about gifts with the wedding invitations. If the happy couple does not register for gifts, most guests will get the point.

Will there be any bridal showers for your DD? Invitations to those often include information about gift registries, so it will be interesting to see what happens with shower gifts.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Congratulations!

I agree with Sarah in SC Emily Post above. Do not mention anything about gifts with the wedding invitations. If the happy couple does not register for gifts, most guests will get the point.

Will there be any bridal showers for your DD? Invitations to those often include information about gift registries, so it will be interesting to see what happens with shower gifts.
Thank you everyone. I hope there isn't a shower unless it's lingerie...at least that would be packable.

It's supposed to be a very simple civil ceremony, but, after all the emails today, between my daughter and myself - we aren't too sure about it being simple any longer. The last email I received today mentioned the word ELOPE. he he I don't think they will go that far but DD is now wide awake.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Etiquette demands that you make no mention of gifts whatsoever on invitations to formal events such as weddings. Period. No ifs ands or buts.

....snip....

It is positively tacky to include solicitation for gifts of any kind on an invitation, even with the very best of intentions. A gracious bride does not expect anything from invited guests but their attendance.

How refreshing! Style and grace are not dead yet.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #19

Happy,

Congrats! My son married a lovely woman from Brazil who came to the US to do post-doc research. They got married on the beach in Florianapolis. After the wedding we toured Brazil and it is an amazing and beautiful country. If you get the chance, by all means, go and visit.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Thunderous applause

I am still "donating" wedding gifts I was given in 1984. I never did a gift registry. The majority of the gifts were beautiful, but have no purpose at all. Over the years, I have found a home for most of the gifts, given away to very thankful recipients.
Speaking of which, if someone insists on giving a gift anyway, you can always "donate" it later. Just don't say anything.