Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by 2moreyears View Post
Well, $250-300 is not abnormal for what we would give as a couple to a non-mob wedding!!!! If they were close friends or family, we would up it a bit.

I don't know how young kids afford being in the wedding party!!

Absolutely , I give $250 to $300 for regular weddings in the Northeast for mob weddings you better pony up a lot more and be happy about it .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Odd. I grew up in Northern NJ, and many relatives still reside there. Father's ancestors were in NJ from the late 19th century (emigrated to Manhattan, moved across the river to Little Germany). Never have I heard of lavish gifts being the norm - and $$ would be considered gauche, except for young newlyweds who have nothing and need everything. I must ask my cousin in Hoboken about this "custom."

Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I spent many years in Northern N.J. where not only were the wedding gifts huge the shower gifts were also . After moving to Florida I was invited to a wedding shower and I brought a typical New Jersey gift . Most expensive gift at that shower . It was a learning experience .

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
A lot of people I know whose are third generation Chicagoans give a check that "covers the plate"--the cost of the reception per person. Someone even asked me what the cost of our daughter's reception was so they could give us the appropriate amount!

You better believe we covered the plate for her daughter's wedding.

But for a wedding you're not going to attend, like Moe's, you're off the hook for the full plate amount. You can just cover an appetizer plate in that case.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You better believe we covered the plate for her daughter's wedding.
I think in that situation you're obligated to cover a couple of tables!

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote