Join Early Retirement Today

Wedding Present
Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Wedding Present

I am invited to my cousin's wedding . I will be unable to attend but I want to send a present .It's the first wedding for him and second for the bride . They are early forties . They both have good jobs and their apartment is fully furnished and equipped . What would be a nice gift ? The wedding is in Pennsylvania . I considered cash but how much and would this be insulting ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My suggestion is a wicker basket full of various coffees and chocolate.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

They may appreciate experiences more than material goods. Cash is always welcome but will not generate any excitement if they are already flush. If they live in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, depending on their interests, seasons tickets to the orchestra or to a big league sports event might be an interesting option. I did the orchestra thing with my cousin and her husband for a significant anniversary and they loved it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'd probably stick a check for $50 to $100, since you're not going to the wedding, in a nice card.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Administrator

A call to the mother of the bride or groom might help.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
They may appreciate experiences more than material goods. Cash is always welcome but will not generate any excitement if they are already flush. If they live in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh, depending on their interests, seasons tickets to the orchestra or to a big league sports event might be an interesting option. I did the orchestra thing with my cousin and her husband for a significant anniversary and they loved it.

I like this idea but unfortunately my cousin already gets free tickets to a lot of events .
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My suggestion is a wicker basket full of various coffees and chocolate.

A food present is a good idea . Thanks !
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

When I remarried in my 40s, a friend who knew we enjoy wine gave us several very nice bottles of wine. I think if you know the couple and what they like to do you can come up with a gift or gift certificate they will enjoy.

Regarding money as a suitable gift, this is a regional thing I believe. In northern NJ, it is the most common gift, and it typically is a large amount . HOwever, in many other areas wrapped gifts are still the norm, and the amount spent on the gifts is not as outrageous...
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moreyears View Post

Regarding money as a suitable gift, this is a regional thing I believe. In northern NJ, it is the most common gift, and it typically is a large amount . HOwever, in many other areas wrapped gifts are still the norm, and the amount spent on the gifts is not as outrageous...

I spent many years in Northern N.J. where not only were the wedding gifts huge the shower gifts were also . After moving to Florida I was invited to a wedding shower and I brought a typical New Jersey gift . Most expensive gift at that shower . It was a learning experience .
Old 06-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moreyears View Post
Regarding money as a suitable gift, this is a regional thing I believe. In northern NJ, it is the most common gift, and it typically is a large amount . .
How much would one of these typical large cash gifts be?

Ha
Old 06-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do they have a photographer that will photograph the wedding? Most professional photographers publish the pictures on pictage.com these days and purchase is via internet. Perhaps the photographer will know a way around that.

My daughter was married May 19th and am currently ordering pictures off pictage.com...and they are not cheap that is for sure.

Did the bride register anywhere? Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Macys? If so, she will have selected things she would like to receive. A quick phone call to them can answer that question.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

I lived in suburban Philly when I got married at age 38, DH was just shy of 47. First marriage for both of us.
Since we were both homeowners when we met more "stuff" was not appreciated.

Cash definitely got put to good use.

We also enjoyed gifts that spoke to some of our interests... a gift certificate to a luggage shop (we like to travel), a gift certificate to a local/family run hardware store (we were fixing up my 100 year old home.) Boating and fishing supplies (dh had a boat back then.)

Less exciting were the cliches - silver picture frames, expensive crystal vases, etc.

If you know they have common interests - gift them something that is inspired by that interest. They do not need household stuff at that age.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How much would one of these typical large cash gifts be?

Ha

Usually $300 and up . I have attended wedding showers were the bride to be received thousands of dollars worth of fine china and if your family is connected to the mob the presents are massive as are the weddings . I only attended one mob related wedding and it was straight out of "The Soprano's ". After they served dessert the one wall opened up and revealed a room with tables laden with more desserts and after dinner drinks .
Old 06-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post

Did the bride register anywhere? Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Macys? If so, she will have selected things she would like to receive. A quick phone call to them can answer that question.

No , they did not register any where and I called my Aunt to ask her and she does not have a clue what they want besides cash.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave a recently married couple a gift certificate to a local restaurant--one that didn't expire so they could use it whenever they wanted for a cozy meal for two. You could research online some restaurants they might like and do the same.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am invited to my cousin's wedding . I will be unable to attend but I want to send a present .It's the first wedding for him and second for the bride . They are early forties . They both have good jobs and their apartment is fully furnished and equipped . What would be a nice gift ? The wedding is in Pennsylvania . I considered cash but how much and would this be insulting ?
Quote:
No , they did not register any where and I called my Aunt to ask her and she does not have a clue what they want besides cash.
We've hired wedding planners for friends like these, because they should know enough about weddings to register somewhere for something.

Are they moving to a new home after the wedding? In that case I'd send a gift card to Home Depot or Bed Bath & Beyond...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Are they moving to a new home after the wedding? In that case I'd send a gift card to Home Depot or Bed Bath & Beyond...

Thanks Nords , Tomorrow I am going to buy a gift card for Bed , Bath & Beyond or Pier One .
Old 06-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Usually $300 and up . I have attended wedding showers were the bride to be received thousands of dollars worth of fine china and if your family is connected to the mob the presents are massive as are the weddings . I only attended one mob related wedding and it was straight out of "The Soprano's ". After they served dessert the one wall opened up and revealed a room with tables laden with more desserts and after dinner drinks .
Wow. I think I would give a nice check too if it was a mob wedding.

Ha
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Ha
and it better not bounce !
Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Ha
Well, $250-300 is not abnormal for what we would give as a couple to a non-mob wedding!!!! If they were close friends or family, we would up it a bit.

I don't know how young kids afford being in the wedding party!!
sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote