Wedding Rings / Bands...Do you wear yours?

My knuckles have gotten larger in my old age. My wedding band won’t come off over the knuckle, so yes I wear it every day all day...

My knuckles have gotten larger in my old age. My wedding band won’t come off over the knuckle, so yes I wear it every day all day...
This thread has jinxed me. I had no intention of taking off my engagement ring anytime soon (in addition to wearing late DH's band on my other hand), but out of nowhere my ring finger knuckle has gotten a big bump on one side, and I fear if I put the ring back on it's going to have to be cut off when I do decide it's time to stop wearing it. And it seems silly to get it resized just to get it over that knuckle.

I am hoping that the bump goes down. I really wanted to wear the ring for at least another year. DH designed it himself.

Stopped wearing mine within a year. Solvents in the lab would occasionally get under the band and burn like fire. Tried on the band some 40+ years later (post ER) and it no longer fit. We sold it for gold price. DW wears a set - as much for decoration as for showing she is married. It's not the original as the engagement ring lost the stone.

A small PSA:

Before buying one stop by the nearby rescue squad or firehouse and ask if they now have tools to cut those titanium rings off. When those came out I heard of several incidents where people were in some type of accident resulting in a lot of swelling in the ring finger. Every ambulance carries a device called a "ring cutter" to get the ring off when that happens. They work great on gold rings. Last I heard (which was admittedly quite a while ago) they didn't work at all on titanium and at least a couple people lost a finger because the blood supply was cut off.

Great advice^^^^^^^

I managed to damage my 18K gold wedding ring, turned it into a tear-drop shape and mangled my ring finger. I had to cut the ring off by myself with sidecutter pliers before going to ER to get my finger repaired. I had a hard time slowing the bleeding down.

Later I had a jeweler repair the two halves back into a ring.

This was in 1986, I had only been married a year. I haven't worn my ring since. DW is very understanding, she saw the mangled finger and knows I have arthritis in that joint.

Worse part was telling my dad about being an idiot.
He personally witnessed two men lose a finger due to a ring. I had heard these stories several times.
Once in WW2, a fellow sailor burned his finger off on an electrical switchboard onboard ship, the ring shorted out and was like a red hot electrode. Second time was at the refinery he worked at a co-worker's ring finger got hung up on the ring and pulled the finger and tendon out of his hand.
Guess I was relatively lucky.

DW wears hers inside, she takes it off when working outside. Simple gold band with a tiny diamond, all I could afford at 22. She proudly wears it, apparently amongst woman of her age group, a tiny diamond on an engagement ring is considered a " first-wife" ring.

Last edited:
I wear the wedding set of my Great Grandmother, the bride and groom came to the Oregon Territory in covered waggons. Not worth a lot but memories.

Back
Top Bottom