Join Early Retirement Today

Wedding Staples
Old 07-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wedding Staples

First, let me say that I don't know what you thought this topic was going to be about, and I don't want to know.

My jazz band is starting to play weddings, and I realized that there are some wedding reception staples that we need to be familiar with.*

For example, at our last wedding, I found that it's required, and perhaps necessary for the success of the marriage, that at some point the band play the music for the chicken dance.*

Can you guys list some other wedding reception rituals that I should be aware of, especially those involving the band?*

Thanks,

P.S. Click here to see an exemplary performance of the Chicken Dance (Rated PG 53 -- WARNING: not for everyone).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wedding Staples
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The title should have been Wedding Music Staples - I had some scary visions for a moment. But I'm just a twisted person.

Given the choice of music I've heard at some weddings recently, I'm not sure how reliable some of the old choices are. We went to one a couple of weekends ago - bride was Anglo and the groom was Indian - I had never heard rap music in Marathi before. The chicken dance would have thrown about half the guests for a loop.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
My jazz band is starting to play weddings
In the lexicon of musicology, is that considered a step up or a step down?

If the guys in the band are married then what do the bridesmaids do? Never mind, dumb question.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote from: TromboneAl on Today at 08:49:48 AM
Quote:
Quote:
My jazz band is starting to play weddings
In the lexicon of musicology, is that considered a step up or a step down?
It depends on where you're standing. For real good musicians, it would be a step down. For me it's a step up.

Advantages: Money is a little better, big audience, listeners are drunk, can play a mix of background and dancing sets.

Disadvantages: Listeners didn't come specifically to listen to jazz, listeners are drunk.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #5

I have never been to a wedding in the US where they didn't play "Celebration"
(Celebrate good times; come on! du du du Du du Du du duu).

Still a great improvement over that "wind beneath my wings" song.

I would imagine you can find playlists on the 'net.
Here's a pretty extensive one: http://www.northtexasdj.com/receptionsongs.html

--
One disadvantage of getting married in Italy was that the band, while excellent, had no idea of what the words to many American songs popular in Italy mean in English. Drummer is DH's best friend so I gave him and his group a free hand.

Hence our last slow dance of the evening was a beautiful rendition of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

On TV here they like to use "YMCA" a lot. Funny when the show is a hosted news magazine / Meet the Press type-thing.. they have no idea!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
I have never been to a wedding in the US where they didn't play "Celebration"
(Celebrate good times; come on! du du du Du du Du du duu).
[me=Marshac]notes another song to ban from his wedding...[/me]
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina

Still a great improvement over that "wind beneath my wings" song.
Any of the engine-ears on this forum should be able to confirm the inaccuracy of that song title. "The Wind Beneath My Wings" alludes to the force allowing flight, but it is the wind passing over, not under a wing that creates lift and enables bugs, birds and planes to fly.

As if you really needed something to spoil the romance of that song...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever the second sappiest song they play on the radio that year, you'll need to know for the bride and groom song. What about the sappiest song, you ask? That you need to know for the father-daughter song. If I hear "I hope you dance" or "butterfly kisses" one more time, I'll vomit. And I'm a pretty sappy guy.

We were too cheap for a band, got a DJ. It was better for us, because what band is going to be able to cover The Cure's "Just Like Heaven"?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info.* Looks like we can just play jazz, plus the Chicken Dance.

BTW, I expected shocked outrage or big LOLs from that video.* Am I getting silent disapproval or did no one view it?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I turned it off when my retinas began to scorch!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I spent every weekend of my teenage life attending the weddings of strangers (mom was a photographer).

YMCA, the Electric Slide, popular Elvis tunes, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cindi Lauper), Summer Lovin (Grease)...I'll think of more.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Louis Armstrong "It's a wonderful world" is a popular slow dance and would probably be fun to play as well.
Unforgettable is another nice one by Nat King Cole.

All You Need is Love- Beatles

Billy Joel "I Love You Just the Way You Are"

I've had the time of my life (dirty dancing soundtrack)

It really depends on what the bride and groom like. If my crazy sister is at the wedding electric slide, YMCA, chicken dance, macarena and Hokey Pokey are in order.

For normal people, a mix of romantic and dance songs usually suffices. Dave Matthews as well as Phil Collins and James Taylor have great popular dance tunes/love ballads.

shorttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:15 PM   #13

I agree with all of shorttimer's crazy sister's songs listed. They have been played at several of the weddings that I have been to lately.

Laurence,

Your warning scared me off from watching that video. I appreciate it when you guys give the warning!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote