Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Survived the mother of the bride, ex wife thing, whew! The pictures will be where it gets awkward. My wife and I were placed next to ex and her husband. The photographer says, "there seems to be an opening between you guys" ya right! Have to just suck it up and get through it for DD. The promise I made myself was that I would not do anything that would bring attention to myself or embarrass her. Mission accomplished.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Classic man! OF COURSE there is a color scheme! Lol!
It might make it easier if you decide whether you are giving a gift to each couple, or to men and women separately for gift ideas. Something special from your new town is nice, and edibles are always popular, perhaps in a nice box that has your names and the date on it.
As it turns out, it is something called "Mauve" I am reliably informed by Google that that is some shade of purple. Funny, I thought it was a 70s sitcom..

My father-in-law is taking care of flowers. Here's hoping the poor old fella can find some "mauve" ones

Nice ideas as well. Since it's just our immediate family we have a mix of oldsters, siblings and young nieces. Probably a good idea to get something different for the gents and ladies.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
My father-in-law is taking care of flowers. Here's hoping the poor old fella can find some "mauve" ones
Freesia, hydrangea, lilacs, some rose varieties.

And they can also start with white flowers and spray them any color you want. Anything's possible if you throw enough money at it.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I proposed in 1994. When my future FIL-A frugal man that retired early-found out he took his daughter aside and offered her $4000 to elope. We didn't, but took that as the approximate limit for wedding expense. We had a very nice rehearsal dinner at a local restaurant, ceremony at our church, and reception at a local B and B for our 100 guests.

My parents-also somewhat frugal-gave us $500 towards a honeymoon. We-also frugal-spent a long weekend in a nearby city and banked the $100 leftover.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
I love this. My wedding 9 years ago cost about $120. $60 for the license, and $60 for the judge.
The license fee reminded me - when DW and I were engaged the fee for the marriage license had just been raised from $20 to $25, the extra $5 going to spousal abuse programs. I had seen a notice of that at work.

Anyway, I mentioned that to the clerk at the courthouse and she responded that few people knew about it. Then I asked "Does that mean I can beat her since I already paid?"

She was most definitely NOT amused. Some people just don't appreciate warped humor....
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember my parents telling me that our relative's Italian weddings in Brooklyn would be more in the $40k-50K mark. I told them I'd rather have the money for a down payment on a house! (never married so they lucked out...)
Old 06-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Freesia, hydrangea, lilacs, some rose varieties.

And they can also start with white flowers and spray them any color you want. Anything's possible if you throw enough money at it.
They spray paint flowers now ?!?!?! OMG. There is a gulf of stuff out there men never learn about. So, to save my FIL money could I pick the dandelions in our front yard and just use my spray can of Tremclad on them ? Lol
Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #68

Koogie, I will now refer you to the old joke about brides and old dogs!
See, the chasm is deep and wide. Trust us on this, all you need to say is "that sounds wonderful" as many times as is needed!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:04 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2002 we were both about 40. We paid about $2500 for the entire wedding and had almost 100 guests. Rented a lovely rustic hall and a large picnic shelter in a nearby state park. Outdoor ceremony with a stunning back drop. Minimalist decorations other than those provided by mother nature. Side dishes prepped the day before by my family and friends. Barbecue day of by friends with wine and beer. Great local band and dancing in the hall. Cake provided by my parents. Flowers by my gardening friends. Pictures by a photographer friend and disposable cameras. All gifts to charity as we were two established households. Cabin in the state park for us that night and many friends camped at the park. It was lovely and I wish I'd had more time to enjoy it. I'm still told by many attendees that it wad a truly great celebration.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #70

Quote:
Koogie, I will now refer you to the old joke about brides and old dogs!
See, the chasm is deep and wide. Trust us on this, all you need to say is "that sounds wonderful" as many times as is needed!
I don't think I'll google that joke. Wouldn't want to be halfway through telling it at the wedding before I remember the punchline...

"Yes, Dear" that's just a Man 101 skill...
Old 06-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #71

Another good tip for a toast to your bride: never, ever, ever try to be funny. I'll spare you the story of my dad, at their 50th anniversary party, attempting to tell a joke at the expense of my mom. Not pretty. Sooooo not pretty.

Smart man like you already knows the yes, dear.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #72

Quote:
Smart man like you already knows the yes, dear.
I was taught that at a very early age.

BTW, the British version is "Yes, m'love".

Any combination will work just fine.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:49 PM   #73
Administrator

Around here, I say "Aye, Cap'n".