Weekend Reading

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Two fun websites, to make you think...

The first, is about longevity... simply how many people who were born when you were born... are still alive. Food for thought, with some numbers that show how and when U.S. population growth occurred. For some of us old timers, a look at the odds. A reality check.

How Many People Are Alive From the Year You Were Born - 24/7 Wall St.

The second, purports to rate the top 50 worst cities to live in. Not the simple 1,2,3,4... kind of listing, but an in depth study of many factors that were taken into consideration. Some were very interesting to me, in that instead of just showing housing values and average income, the way that the cost of living in that city, related to those wages. ie. an income of $40K, in a city with housing prices of $90K is different than an income of $80K where the housing prices average $300K. (Didja know that nationally, the median house value is3.5 times the average income?)

All in all, the "worst cities" list gave me a better overview of places that I've heard of, or been to. In some ways, a better understanding of the diversity of our nation.

"Worst" was an eye-catcher, teaser... Obviously, just like every city, there are good and bad places, and broad brushing 150,000+ people with a rating is a terrible overreach. Still, seeing an overview of cities that we've all heard of is an interesting exercise.

50 Worst American Cities to Live In - 24/7 Wall St.

YMMV:)

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I was surprised to see Atlanta on the list of worst cities. I've visited Atlanta many times and always thought it would be a nice place to live.

Back
Top Bottom