Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Weekend RV Trip with Pictures
Old 04-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Weekend RV Trip with Pictures

Kind of a last minute get away on Friday, up to Cedar Key about 130 miles north of here. The area is called the Nature Coast. It's a laid back, coastal shellfish community, accumulating tourists, studios and all kinds of oddball stores. It's on the tacky side in a good sort of way - think Archie Bunker in Martha's Vineyard.

Here's our little RV from the pier along a tidal marsh off the Gulf, about 7:30 Saturday night.

[img width=750 height=562]http://www.docsover50.com/cedarkey/RV.jpg[/img]

There are sunsets, and then there are sunsets. Low tide, a world of sand crabs emerges, frantically catching some tiny dinner-critter and occasionally becoming dinner themselves for a few shore birds. High tide - herons, osprey, pelicans, an eagle, a wood stork. Here is the sun:

[img width=750 height=562]http://www.docsover50.com/cedarkey/sun.jpg[/img]

And never one to omit a catchy business slogan:

[img width=750 height=562]http://www.docsover50.com/cedarkey/sign.JPG[/img]

It was a breezy 80 degrees during the day, mid-60s at night. Walked, read, napped, ate, drank wine, repeat. Nice.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Weekend RV Trip with Pictures
Old 04-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fantastic sunset sounds like you had a great time!
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great pictures! We have those same chairs--Lafuma. Where do you store them? They don't fit in our bins.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Great pictures! We have those same chairs--Lafuma. Where do you store them? They don't fit in our bins.
Those chairs are amazing. They put me to sleep in minutes. They fit nicely under the sofa-bed from the rear doors, stacked.

I'm experimenting with storage - the Sprinter is not big. If you look closely you can see a cargo carrier cantilevered off the hitch. I now stow outside stuff (except the chairs) in a waterproof box on the cargo carrier: electric and water hookups, tools, outdoor mats, sewer stuff in its own water tight bag (the hose stows elsewhere under the chassis, anything that goes outside the RV. This has freed up tons of space inside.

The carrier is called Everthere and it is light aluminum, folks up itself and stores in my garage. I think this will be the storage answer for us. Still, I see a slightly bigger rig in our future when we have time to do more of this.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Is Travis McGee still on Cedar Key?

My parents almost moved to Cedar Key in the '80s.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan
Is Travis McGee still on Cedar Key?
“Travis McGee’s still in Cedar Key. That’s what old John Macdonald said.”
- Jimmy Buffett, Incommunicado

I admit it. I’m on the Travis McGee retirement plan. I read once in a battered pulp paperback about a beach bum who subscribed to his own peculiar philosophy that retirement could be taken not all at the end as an old man but as early and as often as fortune allowed. In short, our days are numbered and not to be wasted battering away at some tedious task for damned fools. It’s not a prosperous life but you get to spend a lot of time in the sun.

And the Travis McGee Retirement Plan ties it all nicely to this forum.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dh and I love the Cedar Key area, we have relatives not far from there that we visit in the winter. Great pictures

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful pictures!

If anyone needs any John D. MacDonald trivia, just let me know. I have his entire collection with many duplicates in hardcover and the original mass market paperbacks from the 60s. Plus the two big reference books. Great stuff!

It would be fun to take a trip in the RV to all the places John D. wrote about, in the Travis series and otherwise, and see the changes since the 60s. Or maybe not!

Glad y'all are having so much fun with the RV--my DH took ours to Santee State Park this past weekend for a boy's trip, and they had a blast. Only had to make one repair for this trip! Gotta love that 1976 technology!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting the pictures!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a little let down by the board -- no one had a perverted remark about the sign for the clam store. I guess there's still time.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I'm a little let down by the board -- no one had a perverted remark about the sign for the clam store. I guess there's still time.
After spending yesterday morning at the doctor's office ("routine" appointment) I have to admit that those guys are probably right.

But geez, I hope they didn't pay an advertising agency for that slogan...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm a little let down by the board -- no one had a perverted remark about the sign for the clam store.
Why mess with perfection?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I just saw this. Nice photos! We were on the Left coast for a few days but stayed inland 20 miles near Paso Robles, CA. No photos as I have not had the time to download them yet.

Rich, you needs som Tacky lights so your campsite is less "sterile". LOL.

I will not comment on the Happy Clams sign...but is is a huge strain to not do so.

We did a SLC to Paso Robles back to SLC trip towing the car for the first time. High cross winds and even a snow storm in the high Utah mountain passes on the way there but hot (100 degrees) while there and in the upper 90's coming back. We spent a couple of days in Las Vegas on the way out but had to drive hard to get back here in 2 days.

I am looking forward to retirement when I don't need to drive 450+ miles in a day.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
High cross winds and even a snow storm in the high Utah mountain passes on the way there but hot (100 degrees) while there and in the upper 90's coming back.
How'd she handle, with the toad?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Great pics, glad you had a nice time. I love Cedar Key.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Why mess with perfection?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How'd she handle, with the toad?
The rig is 32 feet long and weighs around 19,000# fully loaded. The toad adds 5200# (also loaded) and extends the whole rig to around 52 feet long. That is a lot of weight and side profile for winds to affect and it does to a great deal. 20-25 mph cross winds are not trivial and it takes full attention to keep it in the lane.

I had an anti-sway bar installed on the front before the trip and now see I need one in the real as well. The greatest amount of sway comes from the rear due to the long overhang and the toad. Otherwise, it did OK. We had to go up and down many 5-6% grades over extended distances and while the engine had to work hard we stayed close the the posted speed limit most of the time.

I have a supplemental braking system on the toad that is adjustable from the coach and that helped a lot too. I almost nailed a red Civic who darted in front of me as I drove into a gas station but the combined brakes kept me from making him a bumper ornament.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters

If anyone needs any John D. MacDonald trivia, just let me know. I have his entire collection with many duplicates in hardcover and the original mass market paperbacks from the 60s. Plus the two big reference books. Great stuff!
I love your diverse interests, Sarah. You remind me of me when I was your age.

We're talking about a summer trip to SC to sightsee a little more. Might hit you up for some advice, esp. the Beaufort area.

PM me if you know anything more about our mutual friend, and say hey to the DH.