Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You won´t like the Spanish for black nose: nariz negra. Nor for dirty nose: nariz sucia. By the time you call those names in Spanish names, the cat has gone pissed off....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
You won´t like the Spanish for black nose: nariz negra. Nor for dirty nose: nariz sucia. By the time you call those names in Spanish names, the cat has gone pissed off....
LOL!

Try it in Irish: srón dubh (pronounced "shrown dhuvv"

I think you need to do some consumer research with the cat.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #23

Snopes on the Nova: snopes.com: Nova Don't Go

Cute story, though.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

SMUT

We get lots of strays given to us out here in the country. A few years ago a dog was donated to us who had large block spots on his snout. My now 92 year old grandmother named him Smut. She said as a child they played a game by that name where the loser of whatever contest they had (she could not exactly remember) had their nose/forehead blackened with ash from the kitchen stove.
Not exactly a foreign word but a good story......
2fer
Old 02-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Does that perhaps have another meaning also? After all, would one want to name a cat brown nose?

Ha
Nope, but there is another term we use called "hanakuso" meaning "snot", or snot-nose, but the literal translation is worse..."nose $h*t"

R
Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #26

I can't believe you are asking this question...sooooooooooo familiar!

In 2000, we returned from a trip to Brazil to find two stray kittens in our back yard. One had a black nose, the other had a pink nose. We looked in our Portugese dictionary and found "Pretu" (Praytoo) for black, "Cosa" (Coza) for pink.

Sadly, Cosa has since passed, but Pretu is still doing great and has his antics have been posted here on the ER forum!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
Wondering how do you say "black nose" or "dirty nose" in different languages. Looking for a unique name for a kitty. Is there a site or blog or something somewhere that does this? Thanks in advance.
I kind of like French: "black nose" is nez noir, which I think would be pronounced "neh-nwahr" (more or less). Is it a boy kitty or a girl kitty? Somehow Nez-noir sounds like a girlcat to me.