Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Weird places you frequent, and why
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes I'll drive out of my way to see new roads that just opened. Just to check out their features and see what they look like. To admire the "beauty" of them.

I'm a transportation engineer so it is interesting to see the end product of years or decades of planning. No one ever notices a well-designed transportation facility. The only time people notice is if there are problems (safety issues, noise, congestion, etc.).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #42

Weirdest place I frequent is the basement of a home a 100 mile round trip from where I live. Every two weeks I make the trek for an acupuncture treatment for my aching back. When I lived in Maryland my family doctor referred me to "Dr Betty" and "Dr Phillip". They are an elderly husband and wife team of Chinese acupunturists and herbalists who speak very little English. He was an orthopedic surgeon in China before they were imprisoned by the communists. After coming to the US they set up a clinic in their basement and I am one of the few non-Chinese speakers they treat. Dr. Betty is so skilled that the language barrier is not a problem. She doesn't need to ask where my pain is, she can locate it simply by touch. I now live in Virginia and I have tried acupuncture practitioners here but none of their treatments is as effective as theirs. The basement is filled with the exotic smells of the various herbs they prepare themselves and there is usually Chinese music playing. They chat with each other and their other patients in Chinese. Their assistant, who recently arrived from China speaks no English at all. She gives me a very vigorous massage after the needles are removed. The treatments cost $55 (no insurance coverage) but I find them worth the cost and time involved.

Grumpy
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Where? Dan's Feed Bin. They sell animal feed, pet supplies, gardening supplies, and the like.

Why? I buy seed etc. from there but will go just to smell the smell of fertilizer and feed. I love going up and down the dirty wood isles looking at farm stuff.

Where? Trailer parks in the south.

Why? I love these little communities with no pretentions. Everyone is friendly. Everyone seems able to make their trailer of ticky tack not look the same. My inlaws lived in one in Florida and I miss strolling around the park.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
I have visited Sewage Treatment Plants many times in the past few decade!
BF is an avid birder, and the local sewage treatment plant was one of our earlier dating locations.

Our romance blossomed at Poo-poo Ponds.

It took a few outings for me to relax while birding, in general (not just at the treatment plant). I remember thinking about other chores and tasks to do instead of "wasting time" tramping about spying on birds, but after a while, nature would cast her spell, and even if we don't always see lots of birds, being out gazing at the trees, plants, leaves, flowers, skies, butterflies, dragonflies, and other critters became refreshing.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Weirdest place I frequent is the basement of a home a 100 mile round trip from where I live. .... I now live in Virginia and I have tried acupuncture practitioners here but none of their treatments is as effective as theirs. .... She gives me a very vigorous massage after the needles are removed. The treatments cost $55 (no insurance coverage) but I find them worth the cost and time involved.

Grumpy
It's the 100 mile round-trip drive that is doing the trick, not the needles. Or maybe it's the $55 lighter wallet ... a slight shift in wallet placement during the before/after drive is all important
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Elderdude: thanks for the heads up on the festival. I love the Hocking Hills area. We live in Columbus. See you at the festival!!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Glo,
I don't have a schedule yet but we usually do 4 shows over the 3 days. Come by and say hello. My wife usually is around somewhere, she loves Logan and the folks there. In fact, most of the guys in the band bring their wives or significant others along with them. See you in June.
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #48

where: city alleys & old waterfronts

why: mystery & history

this is where you see how things work. storefronts are just for window shoppers. but walk behind the retail and you get a sense of a town. back entrances, unswept, ill-kept, civilization in the raw.

this fascination started in my youth. later when my parents took me around the state to visit colleges they couldn't believe i spent all my film photographing dumpsters. on last autumn's leaf peeping trip to the blue ridge mountains, my natural urge was to avoid all those too many asheville tourists and walk instead behind the scenes. i found wonderful graffiti, interesting infrastructure. i even came across the filming of a commercial back there, something probably no other tourist got to see.

this last week was a little frustrating because a friend who loves to shop accompanied me on my roadtrip. so i had to spend most of my time not even window shopping but actually going inside the stores instead of behind them. even after five days of that, i still have no idea what my friend or anyone would find of interest in there.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

My workplace! There's hardly anything wierder for a ENTP to do than work for an engineering company. Why: pension and retiree medical. 5 months and counting!
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #50

where: The Dam Diner

http://www.merchantcircle.com/busine...r.802-874-4107

Why: Love a good greasy spoon; besides, where else can you get 2 meals of food for $4 :