Weird Snacks

I like chicken's feet in black bean sauce.

First time I've ever heard of anyone, beside me, that ate chicken feet. When I was a kid, dad would butcher a chicken about every Sunday. I don't know how he got into the habit of cooking the feet but they were good to chew on. I have always loved chicken and will eat every kind of fixin, anytime. I never get tired of it. Roasted chicken is my favorite. It's too much work for DW so I order it when we go out.

Occasionally, I like to go to a local ethnic restaurant where I usually serve as the token white person and order a sack of pig ear sandwiches. You can order either regular or smokes (hot!). If you order the smokes, you may have smoke coming out of your ears.:)

JakeBrake said:
Occasionally, I like to go to a local ethnic restaurant where I usually serve as the token white person and order a sack of pig ear sandwiches. You can order either regular or smokes (hot!). If you order the smokes, you may have smoke coming out of your ears.:)

Which ethnicity? This is not a trick question. I don't know anybody who eats pig ears, so i was just wondering.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine there would be much to them. Chickens don't have very big feet, at least not the live chickens I have seen. Now ostrich feet...there would be something chewable there, I'm sure!

(Husband loves roast chicken too, and he says it's the fixin's that really make the meal for him).

Amethyst

First time I've ever heard of anyone, beside me, that ate chicken feet. ... they were good to chew on. .

In Costco's yesterday I saw canned beef. I know I've had it years ago but can't remember what it was like or the texture. I thnk it came three cans in a package for about $10. Anyone ever use this on a regular basis that knows the appropriate application? Something tells me it's for finger sandwiches.

We had a couple necessities to get, one of which was Laughing Cow brand cream cheese. DW got me onto this about a month ago and I love it for a snack on different kinds of crackers. This was (light) swiss cheese flavor while our local Publix supermarkiet has French Onion flavor. I'm hooked.

Cottage cheese and olives used to be my standard weekend snack. Not sure that's weird, but the guy on the radio show I listen to in the morning said once he enjoyed the same thing.

I like bread with peanut butter. Then I spread some homemade mustard based hot sauce made with fatalii and habanero peppers (both I grow and are really hot) and top it with sliced red onions I grow, they are sweet. It's weird but excellent!

I mix ketchup with peanut butter to make an Indonesian peanut sauce. It has lime juice, hot peppers, minced onions, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar, tamari (soy sauce). I use it on rice, it's pretty good.

It's hard to imagine there would be much to them. Chickens don't have very big feet, at least not the live chickens I have seen. Now ostrich feet...there would be something chewable there, I'm sure!

(Husband loves roast chicken too, and he says it's the fixin's that really make the meal for him).

Amethyst

Chicken (and duck) feet are very good to chew on; also great for making stock.

Suri (Amazon worms) grilled or fried with a cold Pilsen.

Attachments

• suri.jpg
    suri.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
First time I've ever heard of anyone, beside me, that ate chicken feet.

Isn't this pretty standard fare in chinese cuisine? Personally, I didn't like it and wouldn't order it again.

As a kid, i used to snack on melted cheese in rice. Even though the both ingredients are pretty common, most of my friends thought that was weird.

Boiled peanuts!

Only if you pronounce it "bowled" peanuts. Especially in GA.

My weird snacks are:

1) Grated carrots mixed with sunflower seeds. Tastes and feels like raw coconut!

2) Grape Nuts cereal (dry) mixed with peanut butter. It's like chunky peanut butter with half the calories!

3) Soy sauce. Nope, just plain soy sauce. I can make a teaspoon full last 20 minutes, so don't worry about the salt.

YMMV

Oh, and one more which isn't weird (at least I think you can find it in cook books) but I hadn't heard of if until I was almost 50. Take a dill pickle and slice it into a convenient size (a whole one is okay, too). Blot it dry. Smear (I'm sure there is a culinary word for "smear") the pickle with cream cheese. Wrap the smeared pickle with your favorite "flavorful" thin-sliced ham or other meat. It has a truly unique taste and "crunch".

Isn't this pretty standard fare in chinese cuisine? Personally, I didn't like it and wouldn't order it again.

Although I'm not a great fan of Chinese food, I've never seen the chicken feet on any buffet. Maybe in China.

A stick of string cheese wrapped with hard salami slices.

I'm not much of a snacker due to a lite appetite. Particularly when it's cold I'll sometimes eat a chocolate chip cookie or a piece of Hershey's Semi-Sweet chocolate with tea or strong coffee at 2PM. Or just take a nap and pass on the snack.

At 4PM in the winter I often have some wine + cheese. Lately it's the Australian cheddar (fairly cheep).

Regarding Moemg's anchovies: I love those little anchovies on pizza but DW doesn't like it when I order 1/2 of pizza with anchovies. I cannot imagine opening a whole can of them though. Are these big anchovies and are they very salty?

This sounds like a 1960's-style cocktail-party hors-d'oevre. The kind where the wife in the long, Marimekko-print dress sashays around the room carrying a tray. (It also sounds yummy).

Oh, and one more which isn't weird (at least I think you can find it in cook books) but I hadn't heard of if until I was almost 50. Take a dill pickle and slice it into a convenient size (a whole one is okay, too). Blot it dry. Smear (I'm sure there is a culinary word for "smear") the pickle with cream cheese. Wrap the smeared pickle with your favorite "flavorful" thin-sliced ham or other meat. It has a truly unique taste and "crunch".

We have the standard sardines (from Canada of course) flavors available at Aldi's: Oil, mustard and water pack. I like mustard once in a while but I ususally stick with oil.

Packed with hot peppers? Sounds good. I will have to start looking around.

Ants on a log.... hum.

Out of my bottom desk drawer... meet this afternoons' snack...

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 6
Speaking of pizza.......

Back
Top Bottom