Join Early Retirement Today

Weird Stuff From The Workplace
Old 01-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When you were/are in the trenches at work, have you seen some weird ass ****? Especially if it was funny, tell us about it.

I can probably come up with a dozen examples, but I will throw out one from the last 6 months of my time in the salt mine. A coworker and I were on the client site by ourselves ding what had to get done so we could split and not come back after our scheduled time there was up. Late in the week my buddy goes to the men's room. He comes out of the stall, walks up to the sinks (there were two) and starts washing his hands. He looks over and realizes that the guy standing next to him is washing his feet in the other sink, one after the other. Nobody makes eye contact or says anything. As my buddy high-tailed it out of the bathroom he realized that the foot washer was one of the actuaries we were there to interview.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
When you were/are in the trenches at work, have you seen some weird ass ****? Especially if it was funny, tell us about it.

I can probably come up with a dozen examples, but I will throw out one from the last 6 months of my time in the salt mine. A coworker and I were on the client site by ourselves ding what had to get done so we could split and not come back after our scheduled time there was up. Late in the week my buddy goes to the men's room. He comes out of the stall, walks up to the sinks (there were two) and starts washing his hands. He looks over and realizes that the guy standing next to him is washing his feet in the other sink, one after the other. Nobody makes eye contact or says anything. As my buddy high-tailed it out of the bathroom he realized that the foot washer was one of the actuaries we were there to interview.
Following your men's room theme, I went into the place only two days per week (a tiny little place owned by a clinically diagnosed megalomaniac), and work from home the other five (no kidding). I went into the men's room on Monday and saw a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper taped to the mirror informing us that we are no longer allowed to flush our feminine hygiene products down the drain.

A few minutes later, I encounter Jim, who introduces me to the new guy, Kevin. I welcome Kevin, exchange pleasantries, then turn to Jim, and say "I see we are now prohibited from flushing our feminine hygiene products down the drain. Uh?"

Later, I notice that out front, where the drain clean out ports are, (you know, the one closest to the street angles toward the building, and the other closest to the building angles toward the sewer) I see some "recovered" feminine hygiene product remnants sitting in the flower bed.

I have a good imagination, but I could not have made up this story.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, was the foot washer an observant Muslim? Washing feet, hands, etc is part of wudu, which is done before praying, 5 times a day. Sounds like high maintenance!

As for the feminine products, Rustward, I can only conclude that this is an active community for transgender folks.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Brewer, was the foot washer an observant Muslim? Washing feet, hands, etc is part of wudu, which is done before praying, 5 times a day. Sounds like high maintenance!

As for the feminine products, Rustward, I can only conclude that this is an active community for transgender folks.
Pasty faced white dude.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #5

In the early days when megacorp was not "mega" there was a summer cookout in the parking lot. Complete with the Bud truck and live band ... lots of fun. Wellll two co-workers got a little frisky and went into the stair well of the building and started ""doing-it". What they didn't realize is that a security camera was broadcasting them for a dozen or so who gathered to watch.

Both resigned within a week.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I returned to the parking garage from lunch to find a police car parked nearby and a cop talking with our CFO. I learned later that afternoon the CFO's Mercedes had been stolen and called him to say I'd seen someone near his car when I left for lunch and could describe him to the police if they wanted to talk with me.

The police never contacted me and I learned why - it wasn't a thief, it was the repo man...
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

At MegaMotors, we had foot washers and also sink nose blowers. Evidently in some cultures, rather than use a Kleenex, you turn on the water in the sink and blow away. At the risk of being culturally insensitive, I found both practices .
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IIRC, you live in the Islamic Republic of Canadistan. Why are you surprised?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
At MegaMotors, we had foot washers and also sink nose blowers. Evidently in some cultures, rather than use a Kleenex, you turn on the water in the sink and blow away. At the risk of being culturally insensitive, I found both practices .
Welcome to Baku.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It was about six month before I arrived, but a married partner accidentally sent a lusty voicemail intended for a young associate to the entire office. He was gone right quick. The gal stayed on for several more years.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was traveling to a client site with a goof ball. We went to this Megacorp every month, so we were familiar with the office layout. He comes back from the men's room in a panic. Tells me he went in, noticed there are no urinals. As he's in the stall he noticed a place to dispose his feminine hygiene products. He figured he's in the wrong restroom, is panicking over what to do. He managed to get out without being noticed.

We go back to the scene of the crime, this Megacorp had switched the designation of Mens vs. Womans restroom since the last time we were there. That crisis was averted.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately the OP made me remember something similar from 20 yrs ago - thanks.

I worked in a factory setting with large employee locker rooms. At one location, along with the usual fixtures, there was a community hand wash in the center instead of individual sinks - not unlike thousands across the country I'm sure.

One afternoon the hourly guys walk in, and a visiting Corporate sales/marketing "suit" in his navy blue pinstripes is pissing in the hand wash. Guess he thought it was a community urinal. The hourly guys laughed their asses off at him.

Obviously he didn't visit often, and his next visit was probably outside the normal frequency.

Thanks again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circular-stainless-steel-washfountain.jpg (5.9 KB, 352 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I could go on forever with workplace stories, but something a little less off color to end with.

As a young Process Engineer at the time, I visited a customer with a sales rep one day, he was driving. As we pulled up, he was telling me how proud the customer was of his brand new location/office building. Beautiful stonework punctuated by floor to ceiling windows outside. He pulled into a parking spot, and I guess the sales guy didn't notice the motorcycle on the narrow sidewalk between the parking spot and the building, or he just didn't have very good depth perception behind the wheel. As you've figured out by now, he tapped the motorcycle just enough to knock it over - right through one of the new floor to ceiling windows. Didn't just crack the window, blew it out completely leaving the motorcycle lying in their new conference room. Rut-row...

How's that for making an entrance and starting a visit on the right foot? I am sure MegaCorp paid dearly for that mistake.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

I could relate a number of crazy things employees were caught doing on my watch I had to deal with. Sex with customers when the husband came home, sex in the workplace, stealing and denying it when confronted with video, sexual harassment, goes on and on. Don't really want to go into some of the funnier details in case anyone might have figured out who I am from previous posts. So glad I don't have to deal with misbehaviors anymore, unless they're my own!

I can relate one design incident. When in consulting had to design a conversion of a Nike missile base in South Florida for processing immigrants, right after the Mariel incident. No food prep, no laundry, only water for drinking and sanitation so assumed 50 gallons per cap per day. After built got a call that insufficient water. Turns out Haitian immigrants were hunkering down in the urinals, flushing them repeatedly, to keep cool. Hey, if it works why not?
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I could relate a number of crazy things employees were caught doing on my watch I had to deal with. Sex with customers when the husband came home, sex in the workplace, stealing and denying it when confronted with video, sexual harassment, goes on and on. Don't really want to go into some of the funnier details in case anyone might have figured out who I am from previous posts. So glad I don't have to deal with misbehaviors anymore, unless they're my own! I can relate one design incident. When in consulting had to design a conversion of a Nike missile base in South Florida for processing immigrants, right after the Mariel incident. No food prep, no laundry, only water for drinking and sanitation so assumed 50 gallons per cap per day. After built got a call that insufficient water. Turns out Haitian immigrants were hunkering down in the urinals, flushing them repeatedly, to keep cool. Hey, if it works why not?
Ah, sex with the co-workers.... The good old days...
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #16

Just the other week I was on a site visit to a building (we are architects and engineers). The lead architect was carrying a chocolate bar with him and nibbling on it now and again, which was not unusual since the site was in a rural area and there were no opportunities for food during the day. Anyway, at one point I noticed he had dropped it and it shattered into many pieces. Well, he proceeded to eat it off the floor, which was a solid painted surface that saw quite a bit of foot traffic all day. When he finished off the bigger pieces, he began to lick his fingers and dab up all the crumbs, one by one. All the while oblivious to the fact that several of us were staring at him and turning green.

You can't make this stuff up.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #17

Years ago I had a co-worker who would sit at his desk and clip his toenails! We all thought that was gross. He would also complain bitterly about the women in his life which included his wife, ex-wife, and girlfriend.

One time he told me I wore too much clothing to work and he would like to see more of me.

So glad such days are in the past.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
IIRC, you live in the Islamic Republic of Canadistan. Why are you surprised?

Really?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/step...sset-1.2503902

I like to think I respect all cultures.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

In the very late 1990's/early 2000's when digital photography was only just beginning to get popular, I had a digital compact - and was one of the few people at work who had one of these cool new-fangled gadgets. I spent quite a bit of time running around taking pictures of my co-workers. We were all enjoying the novelty of this little camera.

One day, I was sitting in the little boys' room, "taking care of business". To while away the time, I pulled out my digital camera and started reviewing the photos I'd been taking on the little screen on the back. For some reason, I had forgotten to lock the door, and one of my co-workers barged in as I was peering at the photos on my camera.

We've all been there and either accidentally walked in on someone in the restroom, or been walked in on. This was a bit more embarrassing though, as it suddenly occurred to me that to him, it must have looked as if I was sitting there taking pictures of my John Thomas. He said something apologetic, left quickly, and I jumped up to lock the door. I did briefly consider going up to him later and saying something along the lines of, "That wasn't what it looked like, I was just reviewing the pictures I had already taken" but then the immediate reply would have been, "Yeah, riiiiiiight............".

Aaah well, what can you do

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
......... it suddenly occurred to me that to him, it must have looked as if I was sitting there taking pictures of my John Thomas. ..........
Look at it this way, you were ahead of your time, just waiting for the iPhone to be invented for sexting
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote