Join Early Retirement Today

Weird things found on the beach
Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Weird things found on the beach

I spend a lot of time around the beach, and I've become a bit blasť about most objects poking out of the sand-- especially after a party holiday weekend.

We have a shelf full of urchin shells and other marine souvenirs. We've filled our garage with beach buckets, sand shovels, and abandoned toys. I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins. We'll never ever need to buy another facemask or snorkel. I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops... I'm pretty sure they just fell out of someone's beach bag after changing under a towel, but maybe I should do more research.

However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand. It didn't look like a kid's pirate toy-- it was adult-size, heavy black plastic with foam padding, and a strong elastic cord. Did a surfer leave it ashore while they were paddling out? (You think that you'd notice a one-eyed surfer in the lineup.) Was it washed up after a faceplant in the shore break? Did it just sorta fall off without being noticed? (After all, that eye is presumably no longer in use.) Was it yanked off in a beer-fueled frenzy? If I gave it to the lifeguard, would anyone check their Lost & Found box? "Sure, we had someone turn one in-- can you identify it for us?"

It had to be a coincidence that we surfers could smell a dead, rotting carcass while we were out on the break. I'm sure that it's all worked out OK by now.

Anyone heard from Nick Fury lately?

Can't wait to see what's on the beach next time...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I spend a lot of time around the beach, and I've become a bit blasť about most objects poking out of the sand-- especially after a party holiday weekend.

We have a shelf full of urchin shells and other marine souvenirs. We've filled our garage with beach buckets, sand shovels, and abandoned toys. I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins. We'll never ever need to buy another facemask or snorkel. I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops... I'm pretty sure they just fell out of someone's beach bag after changing under a towel, but maybe I should do more research.

However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand. It didn't look like a kid's pirate toy-- it was adult-size, heavy black plastic with foam padding, and a strong elastic cord. Did a surfer leave it ashore while they were paddling out? (You think that you'd notice a one-eyed surfer in the lineup.) Was it washed up after a faceplant in the shore break? Did it just sorta fall off without being noticed? (After all, that eye is presumably no longer in use.) Was it yanked off in a beer-fueled frenzy? If I gave it to the lifeguard, would anyone check their Lost & Found box? "Sure, we had someone turn one in-- can you identify it for us?"

It had to be a coincidence that we surfers could smell a dead, rotting carcass while we were out on the break. I'm sure that it's all worked out OK by now.

Anyone heard from Nick Fury lately?

Can't wait to see what's on the beach next time...
I used to walk with my mother on the beach in Gulf shores, AL. When the wind came from the northeast, all sorts of stuff would show up: coins, keys, jewelry, wedding rings...

Old 09-10-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you found any sneakers with the feet still inside? Seems to be pretty common on British Columbia beaches. Mostly right feet.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand.

This guy can't be far away !
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops...
At least one of those is mine. I used to lose bikini tops or bottoms several times a year when body surfing in Hawaii, as a teen. When you wipe out big time, you roll over and over with huge waves crashing over you, and things just sort of wiggle off and disappear. I was always SO EMBARRASSED and would send my (female) cousin to get my spare bikini out of the car, and bring it to me.

Not a fun experience for a shy teen! Always managed to keep from being seen, though.

With the fresh bikini on, I would try to find the missing part of the other one. Never could find it, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins.

About the finest moment in my young life was being at coast guard beach on cape cod, 12...maybe 13 years old. About six women in bikinis went into the water and a huge wave wiped all their bathing suits off in entirety. And then it took them a good 4-5 seconds to notice.

I think the best part was that the water was around 50 degrees, so there wasnt going to be a whole lot of hanging around in the water waiting for someone to bring them something else to wear
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
At least one of those is mine. I used to lose bikini tops or bottoms several times a year...
Should I mail them to you as I find them, or should I wait until I've collected the whole set?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Should I mail them to you as I find them, or should I wait until I've collected the whole set?
Oh, keep them and I'll chalk it up to experience.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

About the finest moment in my young life was being at coast guard beach on cape cod, 12...maybe 13 years old. About six women in bikinis went into the water and a huge wave wiped all their bathing suits off in entirety. And then it took them a good 4-5 seconds to notice.

I think the best part was that the water was around 50 degrees, so there wasnt going to be a whole lot of hanging around in the water waiting for someone to bring them something else to wear
"Now she's afraid to come out of the water
And I wonder what she's gonna do
Now she's afraid to come out of the water
And the poor little girl's turning blue"
Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thank's Nords, goin' to the beach is near the top of my to-do list, this is the best time of year for it. I'm always intrigued by the flowers that wash up, possibly came along with scatterings at sea.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Darm wish I could see that.................TODAY!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I still have the moment etched in my permanent memory.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would concentrate more on the bikini tops and bottoms than I would on an eye patch, but that is me.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was young - very young, maybe 8 or 9 - a cousin and I found an unopened condom package on the beach. My cousin brought it back to the adults in the house and asked what it was. Someone calmly stated that no one knew but we should through it out because it might be dirty.

My cousin fished it out of the trash and we spent a while filling it up to giant size with sea water until it broke. It got surprisingly large.

My cousin told me he thought people used it to practice having sex with. I was clueless.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Maybe the eye patch WAS a bikini top or bottom?

I was maybe 10 when I did the condom-as-water-balloon experiment. I got it to fill to almost half the size of a small bathtub. Pretty impressive.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

In Florida around 1980 I found a message in a bottle! It was from a research institute in Cuba(!) that was mapping currents by releasing bottles with messages asking the finder to respond by mail with the date & location of the find.
I responded as requested, half expecting a visit from the Feds asking why I was corresponding with the godless commies.
IIRC I eventually got a thank you from the Cubanos in the form of a picture of a shark.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
In Florida around 1980 I found a message in a bottle! It was from a research institute in Cuba(!) that was mapping currents by releasing bottles with messages asking the finder to respond by mail with the date & location of the find.
From a Cuban group researching, "If I set out for Florida in an inner tube, how long will it take me to get there?"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
From a Cuban group researching, "If I set out for Florida in an inner tube, how long will it take me to get there?"

Could be!

Also around that time a guy I knew found a whole bale of weed. Dumbass turned it in to the cops, much to the dismay of many of us lowlifes...........
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
Also around that time a guy I knew found a whole bale of weed. Dumbass turned it in to the cops, much to the dismay of many of us lowlifes...........
He knew that the saltwater curing method produces a noxious bouquet and a bitter aftertaste.