Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our kid covers just about any fruit slice with li hing mui powder-- yecch. Plum, licorice, salt, sugar, & food coloring. It's part of her "please send this stuff to me when I'm on the Mainland" list.

But it's probably better than crack seed...
She can probably get pretty close by just mixing 9 parts alum with 1 part sugar... I find li hing mui not bad, but a little goes a long, long way.

But now you got me jonesing for some poi. Or lau lau pork. Big plate lunch with two scoops rice and a mound of macaroni salad. Zippy's saimin. Anything...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a great picture.....and those ARE grasshoppers...unfortunately they are identified as "crickets" in the Wikipedia image.......

They really are seasonal, and only available during "grasshopper season".....but when the grasshoppers appear, everybody chases grasshoppers, because they are SO good.....crunchy, garlicky, and as addictive as peanuts.....

At another time of the year, tiny little sardine type fish would appear in the little bay, I forget what they were called, and everybody would swim out with nets and stand on the little boats that were moored in the bay and cast out nets and catch them. They fixed them the same was as the grasshoppers, and they were really good as well. I've tried to think all day of what they called them, but the name just escapes me.

LooseChickens

Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ok, I am pretty much game for trying anything. Most things mentioned on this thread, I have tried or would try. The bugs are a bit scary, but if I saw others enthusiastically eating them, I would dig in also.

One thing I saw in Beijing was grilled scorpions and silk worms on a stick. It was the absolute 1st stop before dinner on the 1st day of the tour. I did not want to chance being sick for the next 7 days, so I declined (I think the most expensive thing along the street vendors that day was about $1.50 US). I have promised myself to get in line next time I get a chance at those....

So, what would I NOT eat? Did you see the Anthony Bourdain segment, I think it was in Ghana, where they killed a wild boar. Butchered it and because water is lacking, they do not wash any of the parts before throwing the pieces of meat on the fire. One part or the hog, that he was told was a sought after delicacy was the uh ... no way to put this gently, ... rectum and connecting tissue ... they sorta squeezed the uh ... contents out as best they could and threw it on top of the fire. Tony B. mentioned that he thought that piece would at least be best well done, but they cooked it 'al dente'. I give Mr. Bourdain a lot of credit... he ate it, not because he was curious, or anything, but because the people he was with were honoring him with the delicacy and they worked hard putting meat on 'table'. He ate it
.... I am almost 100% positive I would have passed on this.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
But now you got me jonesing for some poi. Or lau lau pork. Big plate lunch with two scoops rice and a mound of macaroni salad. Zippy's saimin. Anything...
Give these guys your credit card and tell 'em that FedEx flies west as well as east: Zippy's Online : Online Ordering

Ironically the mailing address for the website is about a block from my tae kwon do dojang, so it really is just as easy for them to ship to Japan as it would be to ship to Maine or Miami...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More Tony B.

ruhlman.com: Guest Blogging: A Bourdain Throwdown
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Give these guys your credit card and tell 'em that FedEx flies west as well as east: Zippy's Online : Online Ordering

Ironically the mailing address for the website is about a block from my tae kwon do dojang, so it really is just as easy for them to ship to Japan as it would be to ship to Maine or Miami...
"Unfortunately, we are unable to ship frozen foods outside of the United States. "

Sigh. <rumble>
Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
"Unfortunately, we are unable to ship frozen foods outside of the United States. "
Pathetic, isn't it?

When you consider the number of AJAs living here (35-40% of the census?) and the number of Japanese visitors who "discover" Zippys, there's a lot of potential revenue on your islands.

I'll bet plenty of frozen yummies come to Hawaii from Japan. I suspect the Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau could fix this up with the Japanese consulate in a heartbeat.

Maybe Eddie Flores should open an L&L in Tokyo. With an ABC store on the corner...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:13 AM   #48

Corn dogs in Japan.. interesting! I remember seeing fish hot dogs in an Asian supermarket as well; didn't sample them. The Japanese seem to be front-runners in terms of food 'engineering'. The packaging and food form factors are wild!

"Weirdest" things I have eaten:
Pajata: baby cow or lamb's intestines while they are still full of 1/2-digested milk (before they have started eating hay/grass/solid food). Kinda like a ricotta sausage... cut 'em up and make a tomato sauce and serve over rigatoni.

Sanguinaccio: a kind of chocolate blood pudding traditionally made with pig's blood and eaten with bread or cookies. I actually had a cake-y version that tasted kinda like poorly-made brownies but w/raisins instead of nuts. A little funky but not terrible; you could taste the iron.

Anecdotally, in Sardinia there is a wormy cheese. I have managed to avoid this.

Quote:
There is the custom in Molise, as in other parts of Italy such as Sardinia, to allow small flies to lay their eggs in cracks in the cheese. These eggs hatch into maggots, which eat and transform the cheese into something even more pungent. The cheese is then called “case’ d quagl”, and it is eaten worms and all, a delicacy for those who can stomach it. I was lucky enough to try some of Mario and Carmella’s cheese that had been infested by the worms. “Oh how fortunate you are,” Mario said to me and his young son Pietro, who also had a wormy piece.

I have accompanied Mario to one of the markets where he sells their cheeses. Elderly men chatting nearby were at first wary of the higher-than-average price Mario charges. They made snide remarks to Mario about the cost of his cheese, but one by one he was able to convince each of them to taste a sample of the cheese. Their expressions changed. “Ah,” one said, “this is like the cheese I used to eat when I was a child.” Then another asked Mario if he had any with worms. “No,” Mario said, “I save that for myself.” Each man walked away with large rounds of cheese, to take home and surprise his wife.
Daniel Gritzer Blog Archive It’s All About the Cheese

I would have a hard time with bugs; I would really have to be starving.

More on the worm cheese:
Apocalypse Fiction Magazine -- Issue Five -- January, 2002

Although elsewhere I saw an Italian saying that you were to eat the cheese once the maggots had abandoned it.. and that offering the worm-ful version was a joke to pull on tourists or the unsuspecting. I don't know what the real story is, and I don't think I want to.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

CFB,

The item on the site: Giant Water Bugs.

I am wondering... what the heck are the conversation's going on it the consumers' mind?

Mmmmm, Just like mom used to make.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:26 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
"Weirdest" things I have eaten:
Pajata: baby cow or lamb's intestines while they are still full of 1/2-digested milk (before they have started eating hay/grass/solid food). Kinda like a ricotta sausage... cut 'em up and make a tomato sauce and serve over rigatoni.
Fried intestines are reasonably common in Japan, called "horomon." You can get them at any yakiniku place. No particular flavor to them, you just fry them up nice and crispy. But no milk or other contents inside.

I think I would pass on the maggot cheese until after at least the first glass of wine.

Had some barbecued mamushi (Japanese viper) once. It actually did taste rather like chicken.

Also had some whale sperm that was getting passed around at a party once. Did not taste like chicken. Not bad, actually. Squid "miso" (fermented squid guts) is also pretty good -- somewhat similar to Sam's fish paste.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Refugees? I didn't know there are/were Thai refugees.
Her family is originally from Thailand (a few generations ago), but her family lived in Cambodia since at least the 1950's or so, however they don't speak cambodian, but a dialect close to Laotian called "Nya" (no idea how to spell it - that's just how they pronounce it).

Her parents and older siblings are refugees from Cambodia, and she was actually born in Thailand somewhere while they were on the run (and still under fire from the Khmer Rouge I am told). "In the jungle" is where her parents tell her she was born - location unknown, probably Thailand. So I guess she is "genetically"/racially Thai, and she was also born there by happenstance.

I just say she is Thai without reciting her family's life history. Most folks think Laos and Cambodia are dishes served on a chinese buffet, however "Thai" is more commonly known as a nationality. Sometimes folks guess the wrong nationality though (Oh, she's Thai, does she speak Taiwanese? ).

I'm just gonna tell my kids they are Chinese. It's less confusing that way.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
CFB,

The item on the site: Giant Water Bugs.

I am wondering... what the heck are the conversation's going on it the consumers' mind?

Mmmmm, Just like mom used to make.
"At least its not those crappy small water bugs!"

Ladelfina...you could have your own "cooks tour" style tv show. I'm fairly sure the wormy cheese episode would trump anything TB has put out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
Her family is originally from Thailand (a few generations ago), but her family lived in Cambodia since at least the 1950's or so,
There were a large Vietnamese population in Nam Vang (Phnom Penh) before 1975. When Cambodia was in turmoil (73-75), most of these people escaped and returned to VN, just in time for a second escape from VN when the communists arrived. Some people just get all the luck!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"Thai" is more commonly known as a nationality. Sometimes folks guess the wrong nationality though (Oh, she's Thai, does she speak Taiwanese? ).

"No no no, 'Thai.' You know, as in, formerly, 'Siamese.'"

"Ohhh.... so when were they separated?"

or

"Hey... you're not one of those dudes into bestiality, are you?" [backing away]
Old 06-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #55

Quote:
I'm just gonna tell my kids they are Chinese. It's less confusing that way.

you might get a big wack on the head from the in-laws for that one...he he he

people often assume i'm chinese, it's a big peeve of non-chinese asians...oh, you're not chinese, japanese? no? then what are you?...:confused:
Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
you might get a big wack on the head from the in-laws for that one...he he he

people often assume i'm chinese, it's a big peeve of non-chinese asians...oh, you're not chinese, japanese? no? then what are you?...:confused:
Nah, the in-laws joke about it, too.

My wife gets that a lot. "So, where are you from?"

Thailand.

"Oh, do you speak Chinese?"

No, I'm from Thailand, it's a country in Southeast Asia to the south of mainland China.

"Oh, so do you speak Chinese? How about your kids or your husband?"

Yes.

I can only hope there are 1.3 billion Chinese folks asking white tourists "so you're from Europe? Do you speak European?"
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Ugh. My dad does that. Anyone that looks remotely asian is chinese. I bugged him about it for a while so to soothe me he occasionally suggests they might be japanese.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Ugh. My dad does that. Anyone that looks remotely asian is chinese. I bugged him about it for a while so to soothe me he occasionally suggests they might be japanese.
Blow his mind. Suggest they might be Korean.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I can only hope there are 1.3 billion Chinese folks asking white tourists "so you're from Europe? Do you speak European?"
China is a big country, and encompasses some Caucasian ethnic groups in the western end of the country. So a white person speaking Mandarin probably wouldn't surprise anybody. If they can tell you are a tourist, they would probably assume you speak English (much to the annoyance of the French, Germans, etc...)

Even if you can't speak Mandarin, if you can get by with writing kanji, that again doesn't seem to surprise anybody.

At least that was the situation in Beijing a few years ago. Things may well have changed since.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Many of my local friends are cautious about the racial jokes until they get to know you and how you'd react. I've learned that being "the big haole guy" is not considered any more pejorative than being referred to as a WASP, especially when it comes up in rapid pidgin.

But when my friends of Asian ancestry get together with a frosty beverage or two and start discussing the differences among Japanese, Chinese, & Korean lineages-- yikes, I'm edging toward a handy exit. There are still strong unspoken preferences about who nice Chinese/Japanese/Korean boys & girls can bring home to meet the folks. It's gonna take about 10 more generations for that to sort itself out.

Just like my father-in-law's tendency to refer to island visitors as "the Japs".

I've noticed that when you love eating whatever your friends are cooking, then no one cares what race you're descended from. The spicier the better...