Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

aaah, way to put it back on topic nords...

food is the uniter or the divider...he he depending on how you react to the cuisine presented!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
So, what would I NOT eat? Did you see the Anthony Bourdain segment, I think it was in Ghana, where they killed a wild boar.
I saw that, and I don't think he's done a new "No Reservations" since then ....

There's another show on Travel Network, "Bizarre Foods." Guy named Andrew Zimmer travels around looking for the odd foodstuffs. He's eaten guinea pig among other things.... not I show I want to watch right after dinner.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT View Post
hmmm interesting observation.... maybe he is still recuperating. But he's da man in my book.
Quote:
There's another show on Travel Network, "Bizarre Foods." Guy named Andrew Zimmer travels around looking for the odd foodstuffs. He's eaten guinea pig among other things.... not I show I want to watch right after dinner.
Zimmer is a wimp... he couldn't even choke down a piece of durian. ... and I'll bet guinea pig taste like ... ok all together now 'CHICKEN'
Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Ugh. My dad does that. Anyone that looks remotely asian is chinese. I bugged him about it for a while so to soothe me he occasionally suggests they might be japanese.
My wife does that and I am Japanese American. She doesn't distinguish the two. And we won't even discuss people from the Kuril Islands or Okinawa (where an Uncle is from).
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After that episode he did a return trip to moscow to exact revenge from Zamir for that beatdown massage he received in season one, then a season finale in los angeles.

The episode that ended season 2, when he was in lebanon when the fighting broke out...is a must see if you missed it.

And the show is back this summer!

And as if on cue...weird named food on sale!
Spotted Dick $16.87 at Amazon.com free shipping over $25
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Deep End Dining: Balut. The Egg of Darkness. Pinoy-Pinay. Panorama City, CA. What about Balut!!! Gross!!!!
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmeouttahere View Post
That's another family favorite at the in-laws house. Sometimes DW complains when the fetuses are really mature and the bones are too crunchy... Different yolks for different folks I guess...
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #68

Oh yeah, delicious!

Balut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A balut (Trứng vịt lộn or Hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese, Pong tea khon in Cambodian) is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are considered delicacies of Asia and especially the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, baluts are mostly sold by street vendors at night in the regions where they are available. They are often served with beer. The Filipino and Malay word balut(balot) roughly translates to mean "wrapped", though the Malays have never taken the word to mean "duck foetus".
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
After that episode he did a return trip to moscow to exact revenge from Zamir for that beatdown massage he received in season one, then a season finale in los angeles.

The episode that ended season 2, when he was in lebanon when the fighting broke out...is a must see if you missed it.
Eh? Guess I saw them out of order then ... good to know he didn't have to recuperate from something nasty after that show.
I did see the Lebanon show .. seemed sort of surreal, didn't it?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very. At the end of the day he's a pretty sharp guy...a smart alec wiseguy but sharp. It was interesting seeing someone who isnt a real news person and not used to what goes on in the middle east get rolled up in it, on film.

Sort of a cooking show turned amateur CNN reel turned blair witch project...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:29 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
That's another family favorite at the in-laws house. Sometimes DW complains when the fetuses are really mature and the bones are too crunchy... Different yolks for different folks I guess...
oooh my friend used to try to find one w/ a dvlpd fetus to show me when i was a kid, luckily we never found one...
Old 07-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

How and where we ate balut

It's best to eat it with your eyes closed or in the dark.

I didn't eat very many balut's but it was a popular snack in the Philippines. My mom would ask the street peddler for the ones with not very-developed chick fetuses. I would mostly eat the yolk and the white parts as a young child but could eat the whole thing when I was older. I haven't had it now for over 20 years.

People in Manila would sneak in snacks like balut into the movie-house. I believe anything was fair game as far as snacks ("baon") in those dark air-conditioned places. (A/C was a rarety and a luxury then.) We'd be watching a movie in the movie theater and we'd suddenly be hit by the aroma of balut or unripe mango and shrimp paste, siopao (pork/chicken dumplings), tamarind candy, pork rinds and vinegar, dried fish, dried squid, hopia (sweet-bean buns), etc.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote