Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
But left clicking, resumes it immediately. Would that square with your theory?
I say definitely try the more plausible suspects first like a different mouse an keyboard to rule them out or in.

Also, if you do any image backups, then if you back up your current system, then revert back to a system that was before when the symptoms happened, then you can see if this may be software related rather than hardware.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Thought about it some more.

Clicking the mouse does two things: it generates an interrupt and focuses on the current application.

One of those two is doing the trick and points to a hopeful solution. Does alt-tab work to get the typing or scrolling working again? Do it twice: switch to another application and then back.

If that works, something is stealing your 'focus', which means a background program usually is fooling around.

If not, you likely have a faulty driver. Reinstall the USB drivers or force an update.
I think that Totoro's comment (something is stealing 'focus') is the most plausible.

I've seen it where I think I'm typing in an app, but the mouse gets moved or something, and the 'focus' of the keyboard is no longer in that app, and you are kind of typing out to thin air.

So the clicking of the mouse returns focus to where you were typing, and all is normal again. So this scenario fits.

I'd double check if the app still seems to be in the foreground when this happens. As to troubleshooting what might be stealing focus, what app seems to be in the foreground when this happens?

-ERD50

Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
..... As to troubleshooting what might be stealing focus, what app seems to be in the foreground when this happens?

-ERD50
I notice it most here and on Facebook, using Firefox as my browser. Is that what you mean by "in the foreground"?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:42 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I notice it most here and on Facebook, using Firefox as my browser. Is that what you mean by "in the foreground"?
Yes, the app that is foremost - the active one.

But more specifically, if you are in Firefox, typing away, and the key strokes are no longer being recorded - are you still "in" the same window of Firefox? Or has the 'focus' (the area that accepts the typed input) moved to another window or area of Firefox, or even to another program?

For example - I'm typing in this dialog box now. But if I accidentally hit "Control-TAB", or some other key combo that takes me out of this dialog box, my typing is no longer showing up here.

Something may be stealing the 'focus' of your cursor. And clicking the mouse makes that area actively in focus again.

This makes more sense to me than some other scenarios - like why would clicking the mouse affect a bad hard drive? But clicking the mouse does re-focus your cursor.

-ERD50
Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
.............But more specifically, if you are in Firefox, typing away, and the key strokes are no longer being recorded - are you still "in" the same window of Firefox? Or has the 'focus' (the area that accepts the typed input) moved to another window or area of Firefox, or even to another program?..............-ERD50
I could be typing this reply and the key strokes would simply not register after awhile. No other keys hit, cursor remains in target area - it just stops typing.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hit Alt-Tab twice: switch away from your active application, and then back.

See if that does anything.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I could be typing this reply and the key strokes would simply not register after awhile. No other keys hit, cursor remains in target area - it just stops typing.
How long ago did you first notice the symptoms?

Did you make any hardware, software changes since the symptoms started happening?

Narrow down from there first to see if a hardware or software issue. Use different mouse, keyboard to test. Use a different port connection for mouse, keyboard. Process of elimination.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

One "out of the box" consideration is that you have a "keylogger" maliciously installed and it is not functioning as well as the hackers would like it to. When a keylogger is installed on your machine, your keystrokes are intercepted long enough to record them and then they are sent on their merry-way to the target application. If the keylogger is "misbehaving" it records your keystrokes, but, then does not send them onto the target application.

I think a really good/deep virus scan is in order on top of all the other very fine suggestions.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatumPoint5 View Post
One "out of the box" consideration is that you have a "keylogger" maliciously installed and it is not functioning as well as the hackers would like it to. When a keylogger is installed on your machine, your keystrokes are intercepted long enough to record them and then they are sent on their merry-way to the target application. If the keylogger is "misbehaving" it records your keystrokes, but, then does not send them onto the target application.

I think a really good/deep virus scan is in order on top of all the other very fine suggestions.
Interesting possibility. Is the Malwarebytes free version good/deep enough?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Keyloggers are almost always installed as "rootkits". I am not sure if rootkit detection is available in MalwareBytes. However, Malwarebytes has a free "anti-rootkit scanner available from their website at this link...........
https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

Also, when you download this software from Malwarebytes, the default rootkit signatures file is from 2014. Take the time to press the "Update" button to get the 2016 version. It only takes a few seconds to download.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Keyloggers are almost always installed as "rootkits". I am not sure if rootkit detection is available in MalwareBytes. However, Malwarebytes has a free "anti-rootkit scanner available from their website at this link...........
https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

Also, when you download this software from Malwarebytes, the default rootkit signatures file is from 2014. Take the time to press the "Update" button to get the 2016 version. It only takes a few seconds to download.
Thanks. Just ran it. No joy, but a good resource.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #32

I'm kind of familiar with what's usually in the Task Manager, so if something weird starts happening, I'll right click on the Task Bar, open Task Manager, and see what's been taking CPU and/or memory (on the Processes tab). You can start closing things (right click, end process). Even if you close "something important", it will be back after you reboot. You can right click and open file location to get more insight into what each process is doing. But, yeah, first, I'd close any applications I knew I had open (except for the one you're going to test typing with). Then I'd go to Task Manager and I'd close one, do a little typing, close another one, to a little typing, etc. You might stumble into the bad actor.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hit Alt-Tab twice: switch away from your active application, and then back.

See if that does anything.
This seems to work. What would that tell me?
Old 09-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #34

It tells you there is no hardware problem. That's good.

The downside is that you'll have some more detective work to do: You have an application running that 'steals focus'. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stealing

You need to find out which one. I'd use process explorer for that (it's from Microsoft), the only issue is that it's hard to explain how exactly to use it. It's basically trial and error trying to find which application it is, and then removing or updating it.

Here is an introduction and download link to process explorer:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896653.aspx
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are not "up to" learning how to use Process Explorer, another way to see which application is "stealing focus" is to just wait for it to happen, and then look down at your taskbar. One of the icons will be "brighter" than the others. That application may have "taken focus" but the dialog box it is trying to present is not showing. Click on the application icon once or twice and it will probably bring the dialog box forward so you can confirm the issue is with that application.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are not "up to" learning how to use Process Explorer, another way to see which application is "stealing focus" is to just wait for it to happen, and then look down at your taskbar. One of the icons will be "brighter" than the others. That application may have "taken focus" but the dialog box it is trying to present is not showing. Click on the application icon once or twice and it will probably bring the dialog box forward so you can confirm the issue is with that application.
Would the task manager also show the culprit due to the large amount of memory being used?
Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #37

Worth a look, a process with high CPU load and or I/O operations can also be a candidate.

Do you have a [list of] plausible candidate[s]? => google its name or post it here. If its fairly harmless to stop just shut it down and see if that fixes the issue.

[Edit] Before you do, check first. Some processes are essential and stopping them can cause harm.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Worth a look, a process with high CPU load and or I/O operations can also be a candidate.

Do you have a [list of] plausible candidate[s]? => google its name or post it here. If its fairly harmless to stop just shut it down and see if that fixes the issue.

[Edit] Before you do, check first. Some processes are essential and stopping them can cause harm.
The second highest user beyond Firefox is Avira System Speedup. I tried uninstalling it, and now need to see if it was the culprit.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The second highest user beyond Firefox is Avira System Speedup. I tried uninstalling it, and now need to see if it was the culprit.
I think I've solved my problem. I recall now adding this free program about the time the issue showed up, but did not notice the issue right away and forgot about the added program.

Thanks for all the patient answers from my friends, here.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Glad you found the culprit travelover. When something says "Speedup", that's a hint it will slow things down .