Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Weird Windows 7 Problem
Old 09-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weird Windows 7 Problem

No, I never upgraded to Windows 10, but I've got a new and strange problem. When I type on the keyboard, after about 50 characters, the characters simply quit appearing on the screen. If I left click, then it starts working OK again for another 50 characters. Similarly, if I use the mouse scroll wheel, I can only scroll for a few frames, then have to left click to continue.

My Google searches on this problem have been unsuccessful, but maybe I'm not hitting the sweet spot for search terms. Any techies out there with an insight into this?

Thanks.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Administrator

Does this happen across different applications, such as excel, word, and different browsers?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

USB keyboard? Try a different one. Sounds like a USB port issue (assume your mouse is USB also).
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stuff like that happens to me too sometimes. Usually switching applications helps, sometimes reboot.

It's one of these *huh?* things. Have an in-built keyboard.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I would do a reboot and if that doesn't fix it, I would recommend a scan for malicious software. Have you tried the Fn+Num Lock trick?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
USB keyboard? Try a different one. Sounds like a USB port issue (assume your mouse is USB also).
+1 - my wife had a similar problem with her desktop computer, solved by adding a USB PCI card to the motherboard. A temporary fix was to do a hard restart - turn off the computer, kill the power and hold the power button for 20sec or so.

P.S. DW was in the middle of a work project, so I did not bother to parse out whether this was a software/hardware issue - PCI card fixed it either way.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does this happen across different applications, such as excel, word, and different browsers?
Doesn't seem to do it in word processor. I tried using Chrome to access this site and post a fake message by pounding the keyboard and it didn't seem to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Yes it is a USB keyboard. A different keyboard or a different USB port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Stuff like that happens to me too sometimes. Usually switching applications helps, sometimes reboot.

It's one of these *huh?* things. Have an in-built keyboard.
I turn it off every night - no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I would do a reboot and if that doesn't fix it, I would recommend a scan for malicious software. Have you tried the Fn+Num Lock trick?
I've scanned with several programs including Malware Bytes. Not familiar with Fn+Numlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
+1 - my wife had a similar problem with her desktop computer, solved by adding a USB PCI card to the motherboard. A temporary fix was to do a hard restart - turn off the computer, kill the power and hold the power button for 20sec or so.

P.S. DW was in the middle of a work project, so I did not bother to parse out whether this was a software/hardware issue - PCI card fixed it either way.
May need to go there. Is this an easy installation?
Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #8

Try simply unplugging the keyboard and plug it back in? (Or the wireless transmitter if wireless.)

I had a similar issue in Windows 10 today. After installing MS Essentials (I wanted Photo Gallery to get photos off DW's iPhone) the wireless mouse wouldn't work. A reboot didn't help. So I went back to the wired mouse and that worked. Plugged in the transmitter for the wireless mouse again and all is good.

One of the mysteries of operating systems.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #9
Administrator

I'd first eliminate the USB port as the issue. Plug the mouse into a different port (if you have one) and see it it works any better. Then do the same with the keyboard.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Thought about it some more.

Clicking the mouse does two things: it generates an interrupt and focuses on the current application.

One of those two is doing the trick and points to a hopeful solution. Does alt-tab work to get the typing or scrolling working again? Do it twice: switch to another application and then back.

If that works, something is stealing your 'focus', which means a background program usually is fooling around.

If not, you likely have a faulty driver. Reinstall the USB drivers or force an update.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post

May need to go there. Is this an easy installation?
If you get this far after trying all the other helpful suggestions, about on par with adding memory - open the side case, remove a slot blank, insert the PCI card.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'd first eliminate the USB port as the issue. Plug the mouse into a different port (if you have one) and see it it works any better. Then do the same with the keyboard.
This is easy enough, I've moved the keyboard to another port. Now to see if it helps.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is easy enough, I've moved the keyboard to another port. Now to see if it helps.
Ooops, no joy. It still craps out after about 50 characters / key strokes.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ooops, no joy. It still craps out after about 50 characters / key strokes.
Now try SAFE MODE. That will eliminate a lot of software processes from the mystery.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Now try SAFE MODE. That will eliminate a lot of software processes from the mystery.
Thanks I'll try that next.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks I'll try that next.
OK, this is posted in SAFE mode with networking and I can type as much as I want without interruption.

Edit to add, it seems to be OK even not in safe mode. I must not be using the right test conditions.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Any chance this could be related to a bad hard drive? I have a niece called me with a situation where her husband's laptop would seem to pause for about a second or two for no reason at all after typing, then resume. Had her run some commands and do some disk tools integrity checking (I had read about someone who had a similar situation). The commands had would fix the problem briefly, then the problem came back. They weren't comfortable with changing the HD on their own, so I think nothing happened and they just decided to use another laptop.

Just a theory on my part about the HD.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Any chance this could be related to a bad hard drive? I have a niece called me with a situation where her husband's laptop would seem to pause for about a second or two for no reason at all after typing, then resume. Had her run some commands and do some disk tools integrity checking (I had read about someone who had a similar situation). The commands had would fix the problem briefly, then the problem came back. They weren't comfortable with changing the HD on their own, so I think nothing happened and they just decided to use another laptop.

But left clicking, resumes it immediately. Would that square with your theory?
Old 09-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Could the mouse be causing this? Do you, like me, happen to have an old (working) mouse in a junk box somewhere that you could try?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Check the event log and see if the disc is getting errors.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote