Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #21
gone traveling

I recently lost all my FIOS services (TV, phone, internet). I could tell the problem was not in my home, despite the fact that Frontier's front line techs thought there was. I am a Verizon retiree, and was one of the early FIOS adopter. I just opened the NID cabinet outside my house and saw both status lights were red and that told me it was a remote problem. Unfortunately, Frontier did not purchase all the network tools that Verizon had at its disposal, otherwise it most likely would have detected the problem existed in a hub cabinet up the street from my neighborhood. Anyway, I received a $25 credit for 3 days without service. If anyone has a problem in the future, Frontier set up an Office of the President group to assist and expedite fixes, and I had to escalate there to get the problem resolved, otherwise, I could have been out for weeks. If you have problems you might try calling this number, 844-320-4445.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had Frontier FIOS service for three years. I have had two unexpected outages which I managed to fix with a call to their customer support.

A third outage occurred after a huge windstorm. My electrical service was out for about 14 hours and when it came back FIOS was not working. I called Frontier but all the usual tricks I could do at home did not work. The first tech spot open was a week later. That seemed long to me but I made the appointment. About three days later I woke and and while making breakfast noticed that my modem now seemed to be flashing its lights in a 'normal' pattern. I turned on my computer and FIOS was working again.

Obviously, they had had a significant outage in their equipment somewhere and finally got it fixed. My only real complaint is that the tech support people did not know this.

Overall, I am happy with Frontier and vastly prefer it to the local cable company.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have had Frontier FIOS service for three years.
Just curious, I was not aware that Verizon sold any FIOS franchises to Frontier prior to April 1 of this year, although I know other areas had been sold to them some time ago, but didn't think those were FIOS enabled. What state are you in and when did Frontier take over?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just curious, I was not aware that Verizon sold any FIOS franchises to Frontier prior to April 1 of this year, although I know other areas had been sold to them some time ago, but didn't think those were FIOS enabled. What state are you in and when did Frontier take over?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Communications

Quote:
In May 2009, Frontier announced the signing of an $8.6 billion agreement with Verizon Communications to acquire Verizon's 4.8 million landlines leased to residential and small business customers.[26] The deal meant Frontier would acquire all wireline assets in Arizona, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin, placed into a holding company called New Communications ILEC Holdings. Also included were several of Verizon's exchanges in California, including those bordering Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon.[27] I

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks, I did not realize FIOS was included in some of these prior wireline sales. Given that, Frontier's rollout in CA/FL/TX should have been much better. In these states it has been a disaster, but hopefully will get better over time.

From the wiki link:
Quote:
In addition to the purchase of copper lines from Verizon, Frontier also acquired the fiber-optic system built by Verizon in Fort Wayne, Indiana, around Portland, Oregon , southern California, and in some eastern suburbs of Seattle, Washington.[35] The company kept the name "FiOS" for the fiber systems and licenses it acquired from Verizon. The initial transition was rocky, with Frontier initially claiming that it had no plans for changes after the transition, but later attempted to institute a $500 installation fee for new television subscribers, backed out of franchise agreements in some cities in Oregon, and increased rates by 50% in Indiana.[36][37][38] Frontier later retracted the rate increases and installation fee, but has not reclaimed franchises in the cities that it relinquished and not before losing FiOS TV subscribers.[39]
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not going to invest an hour or two to describe the experiences that make me wish I had an alternative to Frontier as my ISP.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote