Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Texas Proud,

Sorry this happened. The sting to the ego will probably be the worst part of it all, and in a short amount of time, you will be contemplating sending the guy a thank you card.

CPA's are like nurses, aren't they? Jobs everywhere. Both very specific skill sets that the rest of us do not possess, yet when we need those services, we really need them! We could really mess things up if we tried our hands at it (least, i could), I bet you easily find a niche while you decide on your next big career move to carry you to the sweet life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Add my voice to the chorus of best wishes.

With the economy humming along nicely here in Houston, I believe you will find a silver lining in this cloud.

No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #23

Texas, best wishes for coming out smelling better than when you went in. Change is often hard, but good for us.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yea, I read about your and was thinking that I would not want to go through it myself.... I still have about 5 years to FIRE....

But, all will be OK... If I cannot find something soon, I can do some tax work next year. Probably not my own firm, but for someone....

My big problem is that we had a huge unexpected cost for my DW teeth... total bill approaching $15,000.... and her knee operation was an additional $5,000... so, our 6 month reserve is taking a hit.... but yes, I will be fine...
I would have liked a few more years too. Turn this into an opportunity!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #25

Sorry to hear this news, it is always a shock when hear this. Your profession is still in high demand so you should be able to find something that will allow you to stay on track and still meet your FIRE goals. This may be the start of something good.

No hay mal que por bien no venga...
Old 09-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Hey TP. Sorry to hear of the news but I hope it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. Since you seem to have a good knack for tacking difficult situations, have you thought of doing contract work - acting CFO, acting COO, etc. Just a thought.

As to rates, I think a lot depends on what markets and the nature of the work and clients.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #27

Oh wow...adding my voice in. So very sorry Texas Proud.

Hourly wage for a CPA? $100 - $195 an hour depending on whether you are in a city or are rural. It helps to be able to do book keeping for companies. Estates, Government audit work for cities and states are good money as is sitting on county and city boards as a finance officer.

Good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #28

Everything has pretty much said everything I would say.

Sorry to hear it, but I suspect this will end up being an opportunity for you and that you will have options.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear of your situation. Where one window closes another opens. You have good skills so I am sure something will turn up. Just keep a positive attitude.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

That sucks! But it looks like it's their loss.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Good luck on the job search. I hope you find something you like better than this last job.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry to hear this, Texas Proud. I hope good fortune comes your way!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #33

Best of luck to you on this, but at least you have options that others don't. That gives you a lot more wiggle room.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So sorry my friend. Weird, too. You turn around various departments, and yet they kick you to the curb. Perhaps someone at your company is afraid of a clear-eyed truth-teller? People often are.

You seem confident that the boss is helping the company grow, so you will benefit via dividends...without having to work! Sweet!

The dental work sucks, too. Sympathy to your poor wife. I've been going through that. All the misery of the extended dental work itself, and then the bill is presented. Month after month after month. Aaagggh.

Amethyst

Thanks for the thought... it is kind of weird since the boss is a bit skater brained.... his reasoning is that I do not have to work 40 hours and he cannot afford me... but, it is because of me that I do not have to work 40 hours

Yes on my DW... She had two teeth pulled a few months ago.... she just went in for her review and found out that her bone is not good, so now have to shell out $5k to fix that problem... SOOO, she was chewing everything on her other side and a tooth with a crown just broke... the dentist said it could not be saved... so she lost another... Now she will have a bridge put in as she currently does not have back teeth to chew!! So, the implants will be between 6 and 9 months... I do feel sorry for her...
Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Texas Proud,

Sorry this happened. The sting to the ego will probably be the worst part of it all, and in a short amount of time, you will be contemplating sending the guy a thank you card.

CPA's are like nurses, aren't they? Jobs everywhere. Both very specific skill sets that the rest of us do not possess, yet when we need those services, we really need them! We could really mess things up if we tried our hands at it (least, i could), I bet you easily find a niche while you decide on your next big career move to carry you to the sweet life.

There are a lot of positions out there, but few at my level... I took a pay cut to come here knowing that it would be easy.... I will probably have to take another pay cut with the jobs that I see available... but, I can wait to see if something good comes along... I am in no hurry....

I will say that I thought that I was not stressed by this.... but it has been hard to get to sleep the last couple of nights.... so my body is under stress even if I do not think it is.... but, it will pass... I am a realist and know that there are some things you cannot control....
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Been booted out five times over my checkered career, and each time it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. It did not feel that way when it first occurred, but time has shown me otherwise. Hang in there!

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear. However, you have a ton of experience and I am sure you will find something soon.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #38

I'll add my condolences. I'm sure that on a strictly analytical basis you'll be fine from what you've said, the stress and near term anxiety will be quite real though. I was caught flat footed in 95 and had to relocate to replicate my salary, 6 months of stress while paying for two kids in college and no where near to considering FI. Went through two jobs before I found the one that fit me; just wasn't a fun time. The good news is that financially it worked out well, and the final job was better than the one lost from a satisfaction standpoint. What no one wants to hear as it seems so trite, but in retrospect it was a real growth and learning experience for me as I look at it in the rear view mirror. Most of my career was dealing with long term secure government employees who I often thought could do well with a dose of the humility and stress that job loss brings. Best advice is to ramp up whatever exercise you enjoy; best stress reliever I know of. Good luck and better times are to come....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will say that I thought that I was not stressed by this.... but it has been hard to get to sleep the last couple of nights.... so my body is under stress even if I do not think it is.... but, it will pass... I am a realist and know that there are some things you cannot control....
Maybe a good time to take a walk or do some other mild exercise.

I know how stressful such a situation can be even if one is in good financial shape. Kind of shakes the old confidence.

I hope all works out for you in the end!
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #40

Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people. You seem like a very experienced and nice person, so I am sure that good things will happen for you soon. Stay positive!

« Today | Aereo TV »