Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Well-dying/Mock Funerals
Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well-dying/Mock Funerals

I think it's great that people take the time and put the effort into reflecting about their lives, but does anyone else think that this is not that meaningful and kind of over the top?

Mock funerals give 'dearly departed' new outlook on life - CNN.com

It seems that Koreans are "enjoying" a new service in which they pay up to $35 for a fake funeral, complete with 15 minutes in a csket while they reflect on their past and plan for a better future.

And---reason #527 for FIRE---it seems that employers are using this as a way to improve job performance:

Some leading companies see the service as a way of improving job performance. Samsung Electronics Co., South Korea's largest firm, sent 900 workers in 2006 from its factory in Gumi, 160 miles southeast of Seoul.
The experience makes workers more efficient, said Kim Hee-jin, a personnel manager at the Gumi plant, which makes mobile phones, computer printers and fax machines.

May not be long until US companies adopt this! And here I thought it couldn't get any worse than listening to Who Moved My Cheese? and having to act like it was so profound....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't know about mock funerals, but when my dad turned 50 awhile back I had the idea to travel to the area where he grew up and lived for 40+ years and do video interviews with all of his friends as if they were speaking of him after he had passed. Since him and my mom had not lived in the area or really seen any of their friends there for over 5 years, I thought it would be a nice fun way to reconnect :-). As many of my ideas go though, it was great in the creative stages, but lacked follow through in the execution. I was also a bit afraid that it would have the opposite effect that I intended and make dad really sad. The chances of that were low, but not worth the risk in the end.
theHundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bwahahahaha.

The idea of a company saying "We think we have an idea to improve your job performance. Here. Lay in this casket for 15 minutes and reflect on your past"... is....just entirely hilarious.

Wait until Jon Stewart gets a whiff of this...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Casket...cubicle...casket...cubicle...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've actually done this mock-funeral exercise twice with various personal growth groups out here in California. Most people had realizations along the lines of the cliche'd "nobody on their deathbed ever said they wish they'd spent more time at the office".

The Koreans would have to do some pretty strong brainwashing to get people to think their life mission was to work harder at the office.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

"Real death is totally different than this," said Chung Jae-hyun, a board director at the Korea Association of Thanatology, a Seoul-based group of academics who study death-related issues.

How would he/she know?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #7

I think the exercise would just emphasize that 'death' is the only thing that ranks
below 'work' as what I want to do for the next 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Casket...cubicle...casket...cubicle...
This brought up a picture in my mind of what caskets would look like nowadays
if they were a company provided benefit - low walls, no top, and 'shared' if you
below a certain level.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #8

I don't think the mock funerals would fly too well in America because of our culture...If my workplace provided one for me I would laugh along and say, "5 years and counting". Not that I don't say it anyway...