Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2008, 07:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Sounds like a good deal. I guess we could tow something like this with our Odyssey (2005, 272hp if I remember correctly) but I have always (for some reason) felt more comfortable towing with a RWD truck. Thanks for the info. Will check out the 139 as well.

R
2005 and up Odysseys have 244 HP, same as the Pilot. Plenty of power............

Just a little FYI, while the Odyssey can pull 3500 pounds, you need the transmission fluid cooler, engine oil cooler, and load distributing HD hitch to do so. I am lucky because mine had it on it when I bought it.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

The forums at rv.net have tons of good info on all things RV related.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Looks like fun.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #24

I am jealous. Just yesterday I took DW up to Hancock, MD to look at a Fun Finder X 210 and X 189. Still trying to talk her into it, she is hesitant. We have a 2003 GMC Sierra 4WD pickup truck with the factory tow package. The 210 has a larger bathroom, one more closet and a couple more storage bins. I've towed a U-haul 6 X 12 trailer a few times so the TT shouldn't be too much different. Only took 20 minutes to get the backing up thing down right but it is a steep learning curve.

Fuel prices are a concern with my proposed setup, I'd expect 9-12 mpg.

Also look at the rv.net forum - there is a huge body of experience and expertise there.

Congratulations!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Fuel prices are a concern with my proposed setup, I'd expect 9-12 mpg.
Walt, if you calculate the number of miles you will likely pull your TT each year and multiply it by the added cost of that not-so-great mileage, I think you will find it to be a very manageable number. Don't let mpg stand in your way of getting an RV or you will miss out on all the fun. I speak from experience as a Class A RV owner getting 8 mpg - if I don't have a strong headwind. My motto is: "Yeah, it gets lousy mileage for a car, but it gets great mileage for a house."
Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My motto is: "Yeah, it gets lousy mileage for a car, but it gets great mileage for a house."
Thanks, I'll be sure to tell her that, and myself to do the math on the mileage numbers. It'll probably not look so bad if I see the numbers.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"Yeah, it gets lousy mileage for a car, but it gets great mileage for a house."
I love that! We'll have to chant that as we head east in a couple of months.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We will be towing it with our Honda Odyssey. The dry weight is about 2500#, vs. the tow rating on the van of 3500#. The trailer itself was a shade over 13k. Dealer fees and hitch, etc. add to that figure.

The 2008 that weare buying has a 25 gallon fresh water tank (32 gal grey water and 25 gal black water). The 2007 and earlier have much smaller tanks, which is why we ended up buying new rather than finding a used one. Fun finder actually makes the 139, which is smaller than the 160 and would be ideal as a small trailer for two people.

We thought about a motorhome, but the purchase price, higher maintenance and insurance costs, and crappier gas mileage were big deterrents. If I had known I could find something that would suit us this inexpensively, I would have done it a while ago.
you should check to see if you need a weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway bar. The transmission cooler and other items recommended about are a good idea also.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

That's great for you, congratulations. We hope you enjoy it immensely...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
you should check to see if you need a weight distribution hitch and an anti-sway bar. The transmission cooler and other items recommended about are a good idea also.
Yup, will have aweight distributing hitch, anti-sway bar, brake controller and all the rest.

Incidentally, Yahoo Groups has a fun finder owners group which has been very helpful.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Please let us know how the towing goes with your set up.
If I were to get something bigger; I would get your trailer.
You really don't need something bigger unless you are going full time with two or more people.
The only thing I miss with my Casita is a chair that you can recline a bit in when reading. The seats are all straight backs.
I can't wait to hit the road.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Congrats Brewer--I walked through a very similar camper at a trailer show last year and really liked that layout and recommended it to my sis who has 3 kids--yours will have a blast playing in there! I think these are a much better choice than popups, which are a huge amount of work to set up and take down.

And I recommend that you outfit it with all of the linens, cooking utensils, gear and what-have-you as soon as is reasonable, and keep it packed all the time. That way you can go somewhere on the spur of the moment and your DW will not feel the weight of all that packing to get y'all out the door!

I keep our motorhome all packed all the time--including clean sheets, towels, and dishes. Everything but the ice and beer! This way, when we get home from a trip, I can take my time with washing and repacking stuff and it is all done when we want to go somewhere.
Have a great time camping with the family!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

brewer: glad you did your research! ive seen too many people doing too many unsafe things.

do me a favor and let me know how the van does. i really would entertain the idea if my wife would approve... and im pretty sure the nissan specs are similar

if you ever pass a weigh station or scrap/junkyard, stop by for a weigh. either or should do it for free...just for s+G
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Brewer Brewer Brewer. You could have invested this money in NM and doubled your money. This thing is gonna depreciate. Oh well, you do what you have to do.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:09 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, this thread brings back memories of traveling in our VW camper (hippy bus) when I was a kid. One big fold out bed for the adults, one narrow canvas sling bed in the pop top, one bigger canvas sling bed over the front seats, and a tiny little kid bed. Had a pull out table and a pump-action sink, but no other amenities. I guess you don't worry about showers too much when you are on the road in the hippy bus.

I remember it stalling all the time at stoplights and us kids would have to jump out to push it for a jump-start.

Camping trips were the only time we were allowed to have sugar cereal for breakfast eating out of those little boxes. Good times
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Second the tranny cooler; trannies hate being to hot...

We had a Starcraft pop-up for a family of six. Plenty of room...

Lots of family trips to state parks and such as a kid... Many good memories!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Brewer, I almost feel bad about posting this. Don't be too hard on yourself for buying your Fun Finder rather than holding out for this classic. Note the wings:

1972 shasta with wings 35 years young
Old 03-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Brewer, I almost feel bad about posting this. Don't be too hard on yourself for buying your Fun Finder rather than holding out for this classic. Note the wings:

1972 shasta with wings 35 years young
Kewl...

I had a 1969 Apache pop-up for fishing trips and the annual Crown swilling at the drag races. Oldie but a moldy! The problem was Apache was no longer in bidness, and you couldn't get many parts. Donated it to Salvation Army to get it out of my garage...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Second the tranny cooler; trannies hate being to hot...

We had a Starcraft pop-up for a family of six. Plenty of room...

Lots of family trips to state parks and such as a kid... Many good memories!

Took a minute for that to register. Lol tranny cooler..ah its early and my brain is already in the gutter.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote