Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
That's not keeping me up at night... if they want to seize the reins and fix everything better than the Boomers have been doing, then they're welcome to it!
I am sure it looks a lot easier from the outside than trying to get stuff done once you are in Washington DC.

In my fantasy world, all Senators would have mandatory retirement at age 60, and the House could accept folks as young as 25..........

I don't think the Boomers, and World WarII vets have done terribly, but IMHO they are trying to delay making tough decisions until they die, and leave the problems to their successors...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
In my fantasy world, all Senators would have mandatory retirement at age 60, and the House could accept folks as young as 25..........
25 already is the minimum age for the HOR...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am sure it looks a lot easier from the outside than trying to get stuff done once you are in Washington DC.

I don't think the Boomers, and World WarII vets have done terribly, but IMHO they are trying to delay making tough decisions until they die, and leave the problems to their successors...........
Boy... maybe I should look this up first.... Nah...

I did not think there was an age limit for the House or Senate.. just the prez... anyone knowledgeable?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

25 - House
30 - Senate
35 - Prez

NARA | The National Archives Experience

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems to me that many people will be voting for McCain only because it will be a vote AGAINST the democrats. That usually doesn't work out very well for that candidate in the long run.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Seems to me that many people will be voting for McCain only because it will be a vote AGAINST the democrats. That usually doesn't work out very well for that candidate in the long run.
Perhaps. I suspect that McCain would occcasion low turnout among the religious right.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieg24 View Post
McCain is terrible. i think he will be a horrible president. He won't be any better than bush. Im republican the only decent republican i can see is Ron Paul and democrat Obama
I also like Ron Paul the best of the Republicans because he keeps pointing out that everyone is dodging the really important issues.

I think that Hillary does her homework and has a good command of the details, but I don't like her husband at all.

I like Obama, but I worry a little that he is heavy on inspiration but maybe a bit light on the details.

I liked McCain until he bickered with Romney on the debate, but I could tolerate him if elected.

Yahoo had an article today about what each candidate's house was like. McCain has the largest at 4.5 million.

If the guy has never had a private job and spent his whole life serving the country in relatively low paying public service jobs how can he afford the 4.5M house?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I see that McCain is probably going to be the Repub candidate and I'm trying to warm up to him, but I'm having a hard time. It didn't help when he came out today and said that we Repubs need to "settle down" and see if we can't resolve our differences...and I do have a lot of differences with him. The tone of his voice and the tone of his message seemed like he might have been scolding errant children. Very condescending and arrogant. That kind of attitude does nothing to motivate me to go to the ballot box.
That's exactly the same impression I had when I heard him speak. Like, "There now, don't you worry your pretty little head. I know what's best for you all"

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm View Post
Yahoo had an article today about what each candidate's house was like. McCain has the largest at 4.5 million.

If the guy has never had a private job and spent his whole life serving the country in relatively low paying public service jobs how can he afford the 4.5M house?
His wife is very wealthy.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
His wife is very wealthy.
His first wife?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
His first wife?
No, his current wife, Cindy.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm not with McCain on many important issues (immigration, the importance of free speech, etc) and I think he doesn't have the best temperament for the job. Still, I agree with his position on other issues (the wars, reducing the size of government) and he is an honorable man with useful experience in foreign policy. He'll need to pick good people to advise him on business/domestic economics, and he'd be smart to get some point papers out there now on these issues. Thompson's tax plan (which he lifted from a Republican legislative working group) was good and not very controversial, he should steal that. He was not my first choice, but like many others I'll pull the lever in his favor rather than risk the alternative..

I don't know if McCain really needs to motivate conservatives. The Democratic nominee will perform that function.

And, now that it's obvious nothing will be done to stem illegal immigration regardless of which party wins, I'm going to open a menudo stand in Ohio and wait for the rush of customers.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #53

I'm not at all sure I understand this problem of McCain's degree of appeal to conservatives. Since it is all but certain that he will be the Republican nominee, who else would conservatives vote for? He will certainly be more conservative than either Democratic nominee will be. If conservatives follow through with their supposed threat to boycott McCain, then they are effectively throwing their support to the very Democratic nominee that they think is even worse than McCain. That doesn't get them anything they want. I don't see how there's any need for McCain to be any more conservative than he is.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #54

2 years ago, even before anyone was even in the race, I said in this post that McCain would be the nominee for the R's with Romney as a VP contender.

McCain needs a strong conservative choice for VP. Romney would still be a good choice, although Gingrich is another heavy favorite among conservatives and would also make a good VP for McCain, as I also stated in that same post.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 AM   #55

I'm impressed with your prognostication.

But I still don't understand the need for a conservative (let alone strong conservative) VP choice. It's a certaintly that McCain will be the most conservative candidate in the ultimate election. Why any need for additional conservativism on the ticket? Wouldn't he be better off with a VP who can appeal to a different voting block? Unless something surprising happens, McCain will have the conservative position all to himself.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
It's a certaintly that McCain will be the most conservative candidate in the ultimate election.
Of all candidates or do you just mean between the republican and democrat candidates?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #57

No, I just meant the mainstream candidates, which in most situations will be the Republicans and Democrats. If there was a threat of a conservative third party candidate that might siphon votes away from McCain, but almost certainly would insure that the Democrats win the election, so it's an unlikely strategy for success.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
2 years ago, even before anyone was even in the race, I said in this post that McCain would be the nominee for the R's with Romney as a VP contender.

McCain needs a strong conservative choice for VP. Romney would still be a good choice, although Gingrich is another heavy favorite among conservatives and would also make a good VP for McCain, as I also stated in that same post.

WOW>>> I did not know you could backdate posts

But..... you are also like the financial advisor who recommends two stocks.. one wins, one tanks.. and you point to the winner... what happened to:

"For the D's: *Gore-Biden (I think that's all they have anyway)."

Neither one even got in the race....

PS... just having fun with ya.... good picking...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I'm impressed with your prognostication.

But I still don't understand the need for a conservative (let alone strong conservative) VP choice. It's a certaintly that McCain will be the most conservative candidate in the ultimate election. Why any need for additional conservativism on the ticket? Wouldn't he be better off with a VP who can appeal to a different voting block? Unless something surprising happens, McCain will have the conservative position all to himself.
Makes sense, except McCain is not a conservative, more of a moderate Independent........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Conservatives will back him
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Conservatives will back him

because they can't stand a parade without getting out in front of it. Then when he loses, they will repudiate him as a lost cause. McCain is very conservative, but a classic Goldwater style conservative, not a radical Limbaugh style conservative.