Join Early Retirement Today

Well, Looks Like a Choice of Three Dems for the White House........
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, Looks Like a Choice of Three Dems for the White House........

McCain is a RINO (Republican in Name Only), so I guess it's all Dem in November.

Romney is losing momentum to McCain, so it's pretty much over. McCain is so "moderate" he makes Obama look conservative.........

So I guess the only question is whether the USA is ready for a woman President or an African American President, or not.

I can hardly wait for the debates, those are always a hoot.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Point of view is funny. I think of McCain as being very conservative.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Id rather have someone "moderate" than someone far left or right.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Well, at least they are three intelligent people.......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post

I see him as not very conservative on some fronts (gun control, amnesty for illegals) but he does strike me as rather hawkish. I voted for Obama in the primary but I'm still not sure who I'd vote for in the election... not McCain, I don't think, but if Bloomberg enters and I end up knowing / liking enough of his platform, then I might continue my tradition of voting independent in the general election.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It is, is it not?

I think he is 'just right' enough.... and I think Hillary is a bit to far left... and Obama is even farther (didn't some magazine have him as the most liberal?)... but I would rather he be in than Billary...

To tell the truth... we NEED a middle ground... I am tired of the far right or the far left being the only choices.. and that is what we seem to get with how they are nominated... at least the 'local' people...

And the repubs took it to far and got hammered... heck, a few years ago you could not get elected for a county wide position in Harris County unless you were repub.... I told people they needed to vote in the primary or they would not have a choice... but I hear that they think they might have some losers this time.... and I say 'great'... even though I am a repub... but 'moderate'... I am tired of the religious right trying to tell me what to do in a shrill manner....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
gone traveling

It is all too long already. I am sick of all of them . Obama, great orator now give me some substance, what will you do with the likes of bin laden, Iran etc. Hillary, I really have a hard time getting her appeal except she is Bills wife. McCain, 5 years in a North Vietnam POW house. Nuff said, but he is pushing mid 70s.

Is this the best america has to offer?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:40 PM   #8

Once we boot out the current regime we could cancel all of the Haliburton Iraqi reconstruction contracts and give the business to Bin Laden Construction. They probably could charge less since their workers will not have to drive as far to get to work in Iraq
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm trying hard to find a favorite among the presidential candidates. I think the Dem candidates are most interesting, but I'm too much of a Repub to get in step with either of them. I see that McCain is probably going to be the Repub candidate and I'm trying to warm up to him, but I'm having a hard time. It didn't help when he came out today and said that we Repubs need to "settle down" and see if we can't resolve our differences...and I do have a lot of differences with him. The tone of his voice and the tone of his message seemed like he might have been scolding errant children. Very condescending and arrogant. That kind of attitude does nothing to motivate me to go to the ballot box.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm View Post
Once we boot out the current regime we could cancel all of the Haliburton Iraqi reconstruction contracts and give the business to Bin Laden Construction. They probably could charge less since their workers will not have to drive as far to get to work in Iraq
Hmmm...thought that was Bin Laden's plan.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
McCain is nearly as conservative
Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

McCain is nearly as conservative

as Bush. War in Iraq check. Amnesty for illegals check.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
McCain is a RINO (Republican in Name Only), so I guess it's all Dem in November.
We have the opposite system in Hawaii (Democrat on the outside, Republican on the inside) and it works out one way or another. To give you an idea of the polarity, Hawaii's governor is notorious for being a Republican-- not for being twice divorced, childless, tall, Caucasian, female, or Jewish.

We're supposed to vote for the tallest candidate with the best hair, right? But I have to admit a preference for the old balding white guy. It's either those characteristics or his six years of advanced study with the U.S. Naval Academy Alumni Association's Hanoi Chapter...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

McCain is a very volatile guy, we'll be in for some explosions, some tantrums, and a whole lot of unvarnished outbursts if he is elected.

On the other hand, a personality like this it can make life easier for his SecState and diplomats in their relations with foreign nations. Kissinger was famous for playing the "good cop" to Nixon's "bad cop" when dealing with the Soviets. They were fairly sure Nixon was unstable, and that scared them a lot. Henrry played it up. "Vell, you know how he can be. Zer es no vay I can take your proposal to him--I can't be responzible vor his actions, it may set him off. Now, maybe I can zell him on it if you'll agree to reduce the SS-18 throw weights . . ."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #14

John McCain has a tough row to hoe. He's meeting the conservatives today. If he goes all out to convince them to vote for him, he might lose the independents and the moderate democrats that give him his edge. If he does not, the conservatives, especially the evangelicals, might stay home and not vote at all. This would guarantee a democrat winning the general election.

To tell the truth, had Karl Rove not bulldozed him in South Carolina, he'd be president today and GWB would be managing draft choices for the Texas Rangers. McCain is very knowledgeable on foreign affairs and moderate in economic matters. Further, he has been tested (see Hanoi Hilton).

So, we Texans are about to be besieged by candidates in the next month. I wonder who I should vote for? Hmmmm. If the dems are not set yet, we could make a difference. So, if we voted for Obama, we could might supply the coup de grace to Hillary. Please give us a chance. ABC.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted for Romney in the primary. Unfortunately, I live in a primarily Democratic state (NJ)
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
John McCain has a tough row to hoe. He's meeting the conservatives today. If he goes all out to convince them to vote for him, he might lose the independents and the moderate democrats that give him his edge. If he does not, the conservatives, especially the evangelicals, might stay home and not vote at all. This would guarantee a democrat winning the general election.
What if McCain picked Huckabee (to appeal to the religious right) or someone else seen as more appealing to the more conservative side of the party? Would that help balance his November chances?

I still feel a dem has a better chance between the two this November, but who knows!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #17

Since the best thing to ever happen to the Democratic party was George W. Bush, I'm voting for McCain this year.
And what about a McCain/Romney ticket? Would that work? McCain has the military side/Romney the business side?
My son, by the way, is at the CPAC today--the big conservative get-together in D.C. If anything zippy happens, I'll pass it on.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Based on the big, sloppy kiss McCain and Giuliani exchanged (complete with fondle) when the latter dropped out of the race, I kind of think that Giuliani is a pretty likely choice for McCain's VP.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Here's my problem with McCain. On Jay Leno, he told this joke:
What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
One is a scum-sucking bottom dweller, and the other's a fish.
It's not that I'm pro lawyer; let me see if I can explain it. He told it like an old guy who is completely out of touch, but was thinking "Wait 'til they hear my great new hip joke." It would be a great new hip joke if it were 1998. That joke has been around for years (it was told on our joke thread in 2005), and the general theme has been around longer. Then I see video clips in which he tells that joke at rallies.

It's like McCain is the reclusive neighbor who thinks "What time is it when an elephant sits on a fence?" is a real knee slapper.

And BTW, if you were a lawyer, would you vote for someone who called you a scum-sucking bottom dweller?
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

McCain is terrible. i think he will be a horrible president. He won't be any better than bush. Im republican the only decent republican i can see is Ron Paul and democrat Obama