Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Well that didnt take long...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its the latter...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

definately the latter

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #23

I can verify my standard of care drops considerably if I park next to a 2-space idiot. If my car door accidentally dings that sucker, screw it. My attitude would probably get me shot in Texas.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:13 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I can verify my standard of care drops considerably if I park next to a 2-space idiot. If my car door accidentally dings that sucker, screw it. My attitude would probably get me shot in Texas.
Don't think you would get off quite that easy...

Old 02-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Don't think you would get off quite that easy...
True. I'd probably get strung up just because my car is a "damn Jap car". Maybe I can steal a Ford or Chevy emblem from someone's big honkin texas-sized truck and slap it on the ass of my car and trick all you folks.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Here in Texas we have the phenomonon of good old boys with their huge,and pretty new truck. They usually park it so it takes up two spaces in a busy parking lot, so you won't accidentally scratch it. Wonder if it does them any good or does it invite anger from someone who had to park across the street for lack of a space.
I guess I live in a more civilized area, plus don't drive anything people would think was a rich guys car. Never been keyed, normal parking lot door dings that I'm sure were accidents but nothing that looks like it was done on purpose.

We had a fellow that took several parking spots close to the door at work and he came in early, so it really bugged some of the other early birds. One of them left a note suggesting that he park out further if he wanted to take extra spaces. He would hate to see a nice car keyed by someone that didn't like the current place he parked. The car was way out in the back lot the next day and he never parked close to the door again. But no damage was actually done.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 AM   #27

My dh hates it when people park like that, he'll park his truck as close as he can right next to them, most times they have to get in the passenger door he's so close. But he would never key or dent a car on purpose, just likes to get his point across.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Its a combination of the car and the area. Our two old SUV's never take a door ding or scratch.

Someone was pretty ballsy too...where it was parked and with the number of people coming in and out of the store, at least 5-6, maybe more, people had an easy view of it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #29

It really doesn't pay to have a really nice car. This is just one more example.

Besides spending and tying all that money up in a depreciating asset, you can't use it as you would a normal car cause you'll get keyed or scratches in it.

So you pay more and the utility is less.

It really doesn't pay to have a really nice car.

If you drive the car below, you won't have to worry about scratches and you can drive and park it whereever you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beater.JPG (23.6 KB, 53 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bulldog
Its a combination of the car and the area.* Our two old SUV's never take a door ding or scratch.

Someone was pretty ballsy too...where it was parked and with the number of people coming in and out of the store, at least 5-6, maybe more, people had an easy view of it.
CFB - Is there a possibility that a shopping cart smacked into your car and someone put the cart back before you exited the market? Or does the dent and scratch look intentional?

Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Ding on the driver door has blue paint in it. I was at least 2.5-3' away from the car on that side. Scratch is 3' long and to the metal. Wasnt enough room for a shopping cart on that side.

The ding might have been the careless fling open the door trick. The scratch was purely intentional. That both appeared at the same place at the same time when I've had neither dings nor scratches in years...? You tell me...
Old 02-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #32

Quote:
The scratch was purely intentional.
CFB, any unaccounted forum members looking to get even?

I got my 1st new car Honda civic wagon in 82. Because I lived in auto parking challenged NYC, I decided to garage it in a "safe" indoor parking lot. I usually took it out for the w/e ride up to the country and brought it back Monday morning. About 3 months later, I take it out and as was my habit checked it over. I noticed that the color on driver's side front door appeared to have a different suttle shade of brown. The B*****s dinged/scratched my car and had the nerve to drive it off the premises and had the door re-painted. Of course, they didn't go to a Honda dealer who would have matched the color. Well, I raised blondy hell, so they gave me $1000 to redo the paint job. That was about 20% of the original cost. Of course, I got over that it was no longer my new baby and pocketted the grand.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Jeez, maybe... :

I've been driven into a couple of times when I wasnt moving. I did the same thing..Oh well, take the money, now the car 'has character'.

Pulled into a parking lot once to check a map. Lady pulls in next to me and just lets fly with the door. Made me jump a foot she hit my passenger door so hard. Just hops out and starts heading into the building. I gets out...and I see the sign in front of the building...its one of those schools the court sends you to when you get a DUI or have anger management problems. This lady is about 60, and she's drunker than I've ever seen anyone. Starts yelling at me that she didnt do anything. We called the cops. Jailarity ensued. I ended up getting nothing...she had no money, no insurance, and the car wasnt even hers. BIG ding in the middle of the door.

I still think fondly of an ex g/f's idea...equip all cars with exploding doors and quarter panels. No more dings, very few accidents...
Old 02-23-2006, 07:55 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's the type of car we all need:

My husband didn't realize that my friend had parked her junky, crumpled small Japanese truck at the end of our driveway. He jumped in our small dinged-up Japanese truck and sideswiped her. The end result was you couldn't tell that either one had been recently hit. Both parties went away satisfied--although hub got a lecture about "Freakin' LOOK before you back out of the driveway." (He loves those morally improving lectures ... : )
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:04 PM   #35

Same thing happened to me at a clinic/office building. I came outside and someone had dinged my driver's door hard AND stuck their ABC gum on top of the car, as if to make a point. Don't drive nice cars?!? Bastards. I shoulda kept my beater car for trips like that.

I plan to get it fixed...eventually.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I can verify my standard of care drops considerably if I park next to a 2-space idiot.* If my car door accidentally dings that sucker, screw it.* My attitude would probably get me shot in Texas.*

In Iowa... we'll tear your arm off and beat you to death with it*

I usually just park in BFE.* Most people are too lazy to walk any farther than they have to, so my hoopty is left alone (knock on wood)....
Old 02-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I sort of figured that parking up front would be better than BFE...but apparently some people are willing to take advantage of the fact that most people "didnt see anything".

Oh well, couple of hundred bucks to fix. I'd say something like "more than the ****er who did it spent on food last month", but gosh, that'd be too elitist for me.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
My dh hates it when people park like that, he'll park his truck as close as he can right next to them, most times they have to get in the passenger door he's so close.* But he would never key or dent a car on purpose, just likes to get his point across.
I park just right and yet some idiot this week parked so close I couldn't get in my truck. I would never key or dent a car on purpose but see the temptation.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

A couple of annoying but fairly harmless (in terms of cost, not aggravation) for the people who are truly thoughtless, not just someone who owns a car thats nicer than yours.

Stick a toothpick in their driver door lock. This isnt as much fun now that many cars have clickers that open the doors.

Crazy glue in the driver door lock. Same problem as above.

Pair of $1.00 angle cutting "pliers". Nip off one of their air stems. Only about $5 to fix, but they get to spend a little time thinking about the errors of their ways while changing the tire and spending an hour getting it fixed.

If the guy has a "for sale" sign up, write down the make, model, year and his phone number. Put his car in the 'free' paper for half what its worth. Use the phone number to sign him up for every junk mail/telemarketer thing on earth. Now that everythings online, it only takes a minute.

Or my favorite, and a repost...

For all of you who occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on someone you don't know. I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I had forgotten to make. I found the number, and dialed it.

A man answered saying, "Hello?" I politely said, "This is Patrick Hanifin, could I please speak with Robin Carter?" Suddenly, the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could be so rude.

I tracked down Robin's correct number and called her. (I had transposed the last two digits of her phone number). After hanging up with her I decided to call the 'wrong' number again. When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled, "You're a jerk!" and hung up. I wrote his number down with the word 'jerk' next to it and put it in my desk drawer. Every couple of weeks, when I was paying bills or had a really bad day, I'd call him. He'd answer and I'd yell, "You're a jerk!" It always cheered me up.

When Caller ID came to our area I thought my therapeutic 'jerk' calling would have to stop. So, I called his number and said, "Hi, this is John Smith from the Telephone Company. I'm just calling to see if you're familiar with the caller ID program?" he yelled, "no!" and slammed the phone down. I quickly called him back and said, "That's because you're a jerk!"

One day I was at the store, getting ready to pull into a parking spot. Some guy in a black BMW cut me off and pulled into the spot I had patiently waited for. I hit the horn and yelled that I had been waiting for the spot. The idiot ignored me. I noticed a "For Sale" sign in his car window, so I wrote down his number.

A couple of days later, right after calling the first jerk (I had his number on speed dial), I thought I had better call the BMW jerk, too. I dialed and someone said, "Hello?" I said, "Is this the man with the black BMW for sale?" "Yes it is." "Can you tell me where I can see it?" "Yes, I live at 1802 West 34th Street. It's a yellow house and the car's parked right out front." "What's your name?" I asked. "My name is Don Hansen," he said. "When's a good time to catch you, Don?" "I'm home every evening after five." "Listen, Don, can I tell you something?" "Yes?" "Don, you're a jerk!" Then I hung up, and added his number to my speed dial, too.

Now, when I had a problem, I had two jerks to call. But after several months of calling them, it wasn't as enjoyable as it used to be. So, I came up with an idea: I called jerk #1. "Hello" "You're a jerk!" I shouted, but I didn't hang up. "Are you still there?" he asked. "Yeah," I said. "Stop calling me!" he screamed. "Make me," I said. "Who are you?" he asked.

"My name is Don Hansen." "Yeah? Where do you live?" "Jerk, I live at 1802 West 34th Street, a yellow house with my black Beemer out front."

He said, "I'm coming over right now, Don. And you had better start saying your prayers." I said, "Yeah, like I'm really scared, jerk." Then I called jerk #2: "Hello?" he said. "Hello jerk," I said. He yelled, "If I ever find out who you are..."

"You'll what?" I said.

"I'll kick your ass," he exclaimed.

I answered, "Well, jerk, here's your chance. I'm coming over right now."

Then, I hung up, and immediately called the police saying that I lived at 1802 West 34th Street, and I was on my way over there to kill my gay lover. Then, I called Channel 13 news about the gang war going down on West 34th Street.

I quickly got into my car and headed over to 34th St. There, I saw two jerks beating the crap out of each other in front of 6 squad cars, a police helicopter, and a news crew.

Now I feel better.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Then, I hung up, and immediately called the police saying that I lived at 1802 West 34th Street, and I was on my way over there to kill my gay lover. Then, I called Channel 13 news about the gang war going down on West 34th Street.
Wow, what a story.* So did you ever kill your gay lover??

JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote