Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Or just get a Mac and don't worry about such things.

YMMV
My iMac G4 went out due to the bad cap problem, out of warranty. It was industry wide.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Or just get a Mac and don't worry about such things.

YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My iMac G4 went out due to the bad cap problem, out of warranty. It was industry wide.

-ERD50

Yes, Apple was impacted too. Here's some history of the "Capacitor Plague".

Quote:
Prevalence

Most of the affected capacitors were produced from 1999 to 2003 and failed between 2002 and 2005. Problems with capacitors produced with an incorrectly formulated electrolyte have affected equipment manufactured up to at least 2007.[2]
Major vendors of motherboards such as Abit,[9] IBM,[1] Dell,[10] Apple, HP, and Intel[11] were affected by capacitors with faulty electrolyte.
In 2005, Dell spent some US$420 million replacing motherboards outright and on the logistics of determining whether a system was in need of replacement.[12][13]
Many other equipment manufacturers unknowingly assembled and sold boards with faulty capacitors, and as a result the effect of the capacitor plague could be seen in all kinds of devices worldwide.
Because not all manufactures had offered recalls or repairs, do-it-yourself repair instructions were written and can be found on the Internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

I actually vaguely remember when this was big news. But at that time I didn't have a Dell so "vaguely" paid attention .

Well, at least the computer I have now is part of history .
Old 09-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

So, after giving this some serious thought and considering various options, I've decided. Here are the options I considered:

1. Do nothing (Computer still is running okay)

2. Buy a replacement motherboard

3. Replace the burnt capacitors in current board

4. Buy a different computer rig.

I see pros/cons in each option. With the exception of #1, each option is gonna require me to take apart my current system and set up again.

I've decided to try option 3. I figure if I tried option 1, that's kind of like driving on bald tires (car feels fine now, but ...). If I try option 2, in a year or two, there's probably a good chance of being in the same boat as I am now. If I try option 4, I'll still have to reinstall all my programs and configurations and may be most expensive. Overall, I'm happy with my used, old Dell as long as it doesn't go kaput. So, I chose #3 and now just hope I don't end up killing the patient .
Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be waiting to see how the capacitor operation goes. I may be doing some surgery on my old Compaq Presario desktop since it is mysteriously rebooting itself at seemingly random times with no error message except "Windows encountered an error". Maybe something is overheating. I blew the dust out, and there is plenty of air flow. Good luck with the capacitors!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I'll be waiting to see how the capacitor operation goes. I may be doing some surgery on my old Compaq Presario desktop since it is mysteriously rebooting itself at seemingly random times with no error message except "Windows encountered an error". Maybe something is overheating. I blew the dust out, and there is plenty of air flow. Good luck with the capacitors!
Ordered the replacement capacitors and a few other things too last night.

May not get to the "operation" for a little while though. First, gotta do some backups on my desktop and get my laptop ready too since during and in case something goes wrong, I'll be using my laptop. Plus, October is a busy month so I may wait until Nov to perform the capacitors change. My plan is the replace all 5 of the type that burned out. Thanks for the good luck wish. I may need it .
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you made the right call. Those type of inexpensive electrolytic capacitors typically wearout after a few thousand hours of operation, but they are relatively easy to replace. I recently repaired our Samsung flat screen monitor by replacing eight such capacitors, and the total cost was less than $6 from Digikey.

Regards,
Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think replacing the Caps is a great choice, since you will barely risk anything as the board will fail completely some day, and you would need a new board/computer anyhow.
This way you chose the time and have it all backed up and replacement plans in place.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #28

I haven't soldered anything since I built a Heathkit short-wave radio. Ms G's tablet needed a new battery, had to solder in place good to go for 2 months so far.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

So, thought I'd go ahead an practice desoldering capacitors on a dead motherboard (MB) I have around. The MB is the original for my computer before I had to replace about a year or two ago.

I had no luck trying to desolder. I used a good Weller soldering iron but there was so little solder to remove that nothing really melted. Yet at the same time the capacitor is snug in place. This fix might not be as easy as I thought.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, thought I'd go ahead an practice desoldering capacitors on a dead motherboard (MB) I have around. The MB is the original for my computer before I had to replace about a year or two ago.

I had no luck trying to desolder. I used a good Weller soldering iron but there was so little solder to remove that nothing really melted. Yet at the same time the capacitor is snug in place. This fix might not be as easy as I thought.
When I was a young-in, about 20, did a bit of pcb solder work. We cut the component off as close to the board as poss. Then used a spring loaded vacuum solder sucker device called a "sold-a-pult" to pull the molten solder off the back side of the board . Takes some practice. Trying to remove solder with a copper wick is another method , not very effective.

Don't even want to think about how much lead I inhaled
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
When I was a young-in, about 20, did a bit of pcb solder work. We cut the component off as close to the board as poss. Then used a spring loaded vacuum solder sucker device called a "sold-a-pult" to pull the molten solder off the back side of the board . Takes some practice. Trying to remove solder with a copper wick is another method , not very effective.

Don't even want to think about how much lead I inhaled
I have one of those spring loaded suckers along with the iron, but as I mentioned there was very little solder to melt. Didn't have something handy to cut the component but haven't tried that yet.

But now, I'm looking at reviews of a desolder gun. Definitely the right tool for the job. That looks sweet:

Old 10-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have one of those spring loaded suckers along with the iron, but as I mentioned there was very little solder to melt. Didn't have something handy to cut the component but haven't tried that yet.
Though it seems counter-intuitive, it sometimes helps to add solder, then use the sucking tool to draw it all out together.

I think adding solder helps to transfer the heat all the way through, gives the sucker more to work with, and then surface tension helps pull it all out together.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Though it seems counter-intuitive, it sometimes helps to add solder, then use the sucking tool to draw it all out together.

I think adding solder helps to transfer the heat all the way through, gives the sucker more to work with, and then surface tension helps pull it all out together.

-ERD50
I've put my solder toys equipment away for the night, so won't try this til next time. Of course, if I get something like that desoldering gun this can all be a moot point (still less expensive than a good replacement pc) .
Old 10-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Dell products are garbage. I have had better luck with Lenovo boxes.
I still run a Dell 4100 from 1999, and am on a Dell laptop from 2008. I have had very little problems.
It's the same with cars; I always buy used GMs vehicles. Always got over 200,000 miles and the best was over 450,000 miles. YMMV.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:23 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've put my solder toys equipment away for the night, so won't try this til next time. Of course, if I get something like that desoldering gun this can all be a moot point (still less expensive than a good replacement pc) .
I don't think you mentioned the specific Dell model.
Sometimes it is possible to find a chassis with motherboard. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/755-Processor.../dp/B00465QFEA

I do admire your effort to desolder, though.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I don't think you mentioned the specific Dell model.
Sometimes it is possible to find a chassis with motherboard. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/755-Processor.../dp/B00465QFEA

I do admire your effort to desolder, though.
I have a used Optiplex 740 Minitower. Actually, I went that route, getting a chassis with MB last time when the a power supplied died and took out the MB from my original chassis.

I do like the case of the 740's minitower case. Nice and sturdy but I've never been too crazy about tool less bay mounting.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone should learn to solder. I've done a few capacitor operations. One on a 50" flatscreen TV, another on a 22" monitor. Also, a few other times when there is just something wrong w/ a solder joint. Good luck!
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a used Optiplex 740 Minitower. Actually, I went that route, getting a chassis with MB last time when the a power supplied died and took out the MB from my original chassis.

I do like the case of the 740's minitower case. Nice and sturdy but I've never been too crazy about tool less bay mounting.
Ok, that's the AMD model, right?
I tossed one of those last year, for some serious reason I can't remember.
We had those as well as Pentium 755 models. One sitting in my office that I play with every so often.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Ok, that's the AMD model, right?
I tossed one of those last year, for some serious reason I can't remember.
We had those as well as Pentium 755 models. One sitting in my office that I play with every so often.
The one I have is AMD. Not sure if all 740 models are AMD or not. If I could do thing all over again, I wouldn't have got the used Dell and got a gamer instead. But as like I said, the case is nice (very very quiet case fan) and happy with the upgrades I made.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The one I have is AMD. Not sure if all 740 models are AMD or not. If I could do thing all over again, I wouldn't have got the used Dell and got a gamer instead. But as like I said, the case is nice (very very quiet case fan) and happy with the upgrades I made.
Yes, that is AMD only. The motherboards are different than the pentium ones. I'm pretty sure yours is model 740SFF. Small Form Factor.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex.../dp/B007W2VRJW

They came in larger cases too. All very confusing to those charged with buying.

Some of these SFF models developed a problem where the CPU fan would go into high speed, and it was really disturbing.