Wells Fargo letter with check

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Today I get this letter from WF and letter said I get a check from a lawsuit they had against them. If you had a mortgage and banked with them the check is for a settlement. I have never done any business with WF in my life time. I call them and they said I have and pretty much called me a liar that I have banked with them. They wanted my SS and I told them they are crazy if I would give that to them. I also told them I didn't want the check/money for 1.06 and said to get me off of their list on people that has banked with them.

So what is up with this and WF? The problems they have had I wonder what is going on now and what more should I do.

Well, Wells Fargo did get in trouble for opening accounts for people without their knowledge, so perhaps some Wells Fargo employee opened an account on your behalf without your knowledge or consent. It's been in the news in the past year or so.

There is a class action lawsuit against Wells Fargo for their misbehavior going on right now. The website is wfsettlement.com. You can read the descriptions there and see if you fall into any of the several class definitions.

If you don't feel comfortable cashing the check, I think you could just tear it up. I have no idea how you get them to delete your information, sorry.

Hehe, yeah you got a check because they opened an account in your name that you never knew about and that's why you don't know about it.

Classic!

Today I get this letter from WF and letter said I get a check from a lawsuit they had against them. If you had a mortgage and banked with them the check is for a settlement. I have never done any business with WF in my life time. I call them and they said I have and pretty much called me a liar that I have banked with them. They wanted my SS and I told them they are crazy if I would give that to them. I also told them I didn't want the check/money for 1.06 and said to get me off of their list on people that has banked with them.

So what is up with this and WF? The problems they have had I wonder what is going on now and what more should I do.

Ever have an account with a bank WF acquired in the past 10 years?

Placer Sierra Bank
Greater Bay Bancorp
United Bancorporation of Wyoming
Century Bancshares of Texas
Wachovia

^ >>>NO
About 37 years ago I had an account with a Bank they might have bought out by WF. The reason I said might have bought the bank is because Wells Fargo is in that same building today.

I haven't stepped one foot in a WF in the last 35 years. I have never had an account with them ever.

Have you had a mortgage in the last decade?

You do not have to have been in a bank to have a mortgage connected to a bank by a service contract....

IMO you have 2 choices... (maybe 3)....

Cash the check and be done with it....

Do not cash the check and be done with it....

Now, the 3rd is one you said you did not want to do, but if you called them you know it is them.... so give your SS and let them hunt down the account in question...

I would pull my FREE credit report from one of the bureaus and look at that. And then....I dunno. It would be scary to think someone might have opened an account “ for” you.

Yep very scary. I did a credit report from two different companies last winter. All was good at that time. The reason I did because someone called about a car loan i had. I haven't had a car loan for 30 years. LOL! So I did the report and all was fine.

I will go in and talk face to face with a person from WF as soon as I can. We have a WF in the town I live. I will not cash the check but will keep it on file with the info I got on the phone with these whackos.

Maybe it's fake and just an attempt for you to give your SSN!?

I wonder what they might say if you gave them a fake SSN and then asked them to verify it against their records to be sure it's correct? :angel:

Sounds like a scam to me.

Last edited:
Yep very scary. I did a credit report from two different companies last winter. All was good at that time. The reason I did because someone called about a car loan i had. I haven't had a car loan for 30 years. LOL! So I did the report and all was fine.

I will go in and talk face to face with a person from WF as soon as I can. We have a WF in the town I live. I will not cash the check but will keep it on file with the info I got on the phone with these whackos.

Those calls are fake... IOW they call and ask about your car loan because almost everybody has one... you will say something and they get info on you and try and have you change or something else...

Kinda like the extended warranty... we get those saying your extended warranty is about to expire and do you want to extend....

If you don't want to cash it, just throw the check away and get on with your life. This is just not important enough to worry about.

Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about it but I will stop by their bank and talk to someone there about it. I know some of the people that work at WF so I will see what they say. Not cashing the $1.06 check I will tell you that much. If it was for $1000.06 I wouldn't cash that check not mine and I want nothing to do with WF.

Thanks for the input. I'm not worried about it but I will stop by their bank and talk to someone there about it. I know some of the people that work at WF so I will see what they say. Not cashing the $1.06 check I will tell you that much. If it was for $1000.06 I wouldn't cash that check not mine and I want nothing to do with WF.

Be careful , they will try to sign you up for banking products and "Investment " Products.
warning, crude language on the youtube video.

Was the old bank 30 something years ago, that was bought by Wells
" Crocker Citizens National Bank " ?

( the originator of the Dilbert comics supposedly worked at Crocker and used them as material for the comic strip.

I will bet money that not a single person in a branch will know what that check is for and will also not be able to find out in a reasonable time....

Branches are not set up to deal with legal settlements of the bank... there is no memo that is sent out.... heck, I worked at banks for 20+ years and never knew of any settlement unless I read about it in the paper... or now a day online...

Think you've already spent more in your time trying to figure this out than the check is worth. Why are you wasting your time? Let it go and file the letter and a copy of the check in your scam folder and shred the original check.

I've been a WF customer for many years and I didn't get a check. Hmmmm.

Think you've already spent more in your time trying to figure this out than the check is worth. Why are you wasting your time? Let it go and file the letter and a copy of the check in your scam folder and shred the original check.

+1

Crocker Bank? Hey I think I had an account there in the 80s

Back
Top Bottom