WEP Password

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'll be visiting a sister who, although she has a wireless network, will probably be unable to find the WEP password. I'd like to use the network with my laptop. Is there any way to retrieve the password if you have administrator privileges on their machine?

TromboneAl said:
I'll be visiting a sister who, although she has a wireless network, will probably be unable to find the WEP password.  I'd like to use the network with my laptop.  Is there any way to retrieve the password if you have administrator privileges on their machine?

If you're an admin, you could reset the password

Ah, good. Thanks, CR.

TromboneAl said:
Ah, good.  Thanks, CR.

No prob. You need to make sure you add the new password to the other nodes on the wireless network or the computer will not see the access point.

What makes you think it will be secure in the first lace. I just visited my nephew (not a techie by any stretch of the imagination) who lives in a Seattle high rise. Out of five WIFI networks in range three, including his, were unsecured. When I stay in New York city I freqently find unsecured networks I can sign onto.

donheff said:
What makes you think it will be secure in the first lace.  I just visited my nephew (not a techie by any stretch of the imagination) who lives in a Seattle high rise.  Out of five WIFI networks in range three, including his, were unsecured.  When I stay in New York city I freqently find unsecured networks I can sign onto.

WEP is encryted so most people trying to leech off of others available bandwidth will not be able to access an encrypted one.  However, a WEP encrypted network can be easily broken into with tools on the internet and a little tenacity.

What makes you think it will be secure in the first place.

You're right, and I wouldn't have expected it to be secure, but I remember during my last visit there, someone else needed to hook up to the network, and sister finally located a torn-out slip of paper with the WEP password scribbled on it.

The chances that she can find it again in her cluttered McMansion are very low.

Back
Top Bottom