Join Early Retirement Today

We're #1!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

We're #1!

I told you it was hot down here...

Quote:
Texas just finished the hottest June through August on record for any state in the U.S., weather officials said Thursday. National Weather Service meteorologist Victor Murphy told The Associated Press that Texas' 86.8 degree Fahrenheit average beat out Oklahoma's 85.2 degrees in 1934.
Texas sets record for hottest summer in US - Weather
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And think about how much hotter it would have been if higher altitude places like Alpine and Fort Davis didn't wreck the curve...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #3

My son lives in Katy where it's always hot and humid. He spent a week in Dallas during their record breaking 100 degree days. I spoke to him the other night, he was on the balcony at night when it's 92 and "pleasant".

Texas is in the middle of a horrific drought and we (near NYC) just had the wettest August since they started keeping records. It ain't fair.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's 72 and raining like cats and dogs here in Virginia. Wish I could send it down to you.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That is one scary stat! Nevada and Arizona are largely desert and yet you still beat us??

I've heard that Dallas has finally gotten a cool spell so hoping you guys are getting some relief as well...but still no rain
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I've heard that Dallas has finally gotten a cool spell so hoping you guys are getting some relief as well...but still no rain
Relief is a relative term. We just had a couple days of below average temperatures (but that brought the dry air and wind that fueled all the fires here). We were able to open windows at night for the first time since about April. But we're back to seasonal now and a warming trend is developing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

Meanwhile, the fire east of Austin near the small town of Bastrop continues to burn almost totally out of control. Only 30% contained, it has destroyed more than 1,300 homes and consumes more by the hour. It has burned over 30,000 acres including all but an estimated 100 of the 6,000 acre Bastrop State Park. With no rain in sight, I've seen no estimates as to when the fire might finally be controlled.

The Texas Forest Service states in the past seven days it has responded to 176 fires involving over 126,000 acres. In addition to the 1,386 homes confirmed destroyed in the Bastrop fire, and estimated 240 other homes have also been lost in fires across the state.

Texas Forest Service
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

To think that I was complaining about our summer and it was a balmy 92.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
That is one scary stat! Nevada and Arizona are largely desert and yet you still beat us??

Doesn't it get cool or even cold at night in the desert At least that is what the movies seem to tell you...

So, 113 degree high with a 50 degree (or colder) low has a lower average than a 105 high with a 75 low (or hotter)...

Here is a link to August where I live... some days the LOW was 79....

Monthly Weather Forecast for Spring, TX (77379) - weather.com

Notice the rainfall... a total of .19 inches (and not that much at my house)... compared to an average of 3.83 for the month... May and June are supposed to have over 5 inches each... but we got none or very little..

WOW.... decided to take a look at Flagstaff and they have cool weather bay comparison...

Monthly Weather Forecast for Flagstaff, AZ - weather.com

And got a lot more rain....

This is more like it.... Las Vegas.... now we are talking desert...

Monthly Weather Forecast for Las Vegas, NV - weather.com
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Doesn't it get cool or even cold at night in the desert At least that is what the movies seem to tell you...

So, 113 degree high with a 50 degree (or colder) low has a lower average than a 105 high with a 75 low (or hotter)...
Yeah, and with the much lower lows, you can actually use the windows to cool the house at night instead of the A/C running 24/7...
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how you bear it. Heat, drought, and now wildfires. I'd be terrified of the wildfires.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Scorpions, fire ants, snakes galore-----now this.
No wonder [mod edit] wants to move.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Scorpions, fire ants, snakes galore-----now this.
No wonder [mod edit] wants to move.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Meanwhile, the fire east of Austin near the small town of Bastrop continues to burn almost totally out of control. Only 30% contained, it has destroyed more than 1,300 homes and consumes more by the hour. It has burned over 30,000 acres including all but an estimated 100 of the 6,000 acre Bastrop State Park. With no rain in sight, I've seen no estimates as to when the fire might finally be controlled.

The Texas Forest Service states in the past seven days it has responded to 176 fires involving over 126,000 acres. In addition to the 1,386 homes confirmed destroyed in the Bastrop fire, and estimated 240 other homes have also been lost in fires across the state.

Texas Forest Service

I lived in Bastrop for several years, having moved there from Austin in 1986. Actually, guess I lived there around 10 yrs. The house I owned there is one of the ones that burned down. A few friend's homes have also burned. It's really really bad over there. My wife's family lives about 12 miles away, in Smithville...also in Bastrop County. They had to evacuate, but their homes so far haven't burned. I feel really bad for those folks. I really like living there, and it isn't out of the realm of possiblity that I might go back there to live someday.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #15

Marty, not sure if you've seen this map of the fire area. It is huge.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My sister is in Dallas and my parents are in San Antonio, they can attest to how brutal it's been, especially San Antonio...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Even though there's a small chance we'll see wildfires close to our neighborhood, DH and I have made a list of things we should take in case we have to evacuate.

We've lived here for over 17 years and this is the first time we've ever considered the possibility of an evacuation.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Marty, not sure if you've seen this map of the fire area. It is huge.
Wow. That is shocking REW. I sure hope you get rain and cooler temps soon. It's upseting to think of how many people are suffering because of this. This Virginia gal is hoping for the best for Texas.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My deepest sympathies
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #20

Quote:

Texas Forest Service
It is sad to lose any home and any tree, but I really feel the pain of the losses in the Bastrop State Park.
This is on the route to A & M (whoop!) and it really used to be the highlight of our many trips there. The portion of the trip from San Antonio to Bastrop is pretty ordinary, but just as soon as you head up hwy 21 those beautiful tall pines come into view. A wonderful refreshing change of scenery.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote