Were you at Woodstock?

Were you at Woodstock?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 98.4%

• Total voters
I was in the Army a few miles away from Woodstock at the time. I didn't go.

Several guys went to Woodstock and came back several days late. They got punishment, but I bet they would do it again.

I was the doctor on call for a number of acts over the years at Milwaukee's Summerfest.

Got to treat the likes of Kenny Loggins, Luther Vandross, and a few others along with their troupes. Was hoping for some not-too-serious malady while on call for Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, James Taylor, Aretha, Dionne Warwick and a few more.

Held court in a luxury bus while the whole travel team would parade through with anything from diarrhea to "I need a B12 shot." Came with great seats to the show. What a blast.

Woodstock - never made it, though roommate did. In fact, the whole free-love wave just passed me by. Damn. which I suppose is just as well.

califdreamer said:
Funny, I saw Roy Buchanan twice at the 'Dillo in the 70s. I'm going to bet a basket of nachos and a Shiner bock that HFWR went to some concerts at the 'Dillo. ;)

Sadly, no... Didn't get to Texas until '83.

Rich, the free-love often came with an added bonus: the free-clinic... :eek:

HFWR said:
Rich, the free-love often came with an added bonus: the free-clinic... :eek:

:LOL:

Yup, that part didn't pass me by. I've volunteered in free clinics since the early 70s.

If you only knew where these hands have been...

One of my partners is in awe of the "free love" generation. He knows I grew up during that era and always asks me about it, he really thinks it was a big sex fest. I try to tell him it was more of a big herpes/gonorrhea/syphilis/crab fest than anything else, sure free love and free penicillin.

we weren't hippies and we weren't generation x. my group came of age after the sexual revolution and before aids. the road for our wild ride was paved, safe and well lit.

Yea, me too. Graduated in 75. Kind of feel like I missed it though.

A Jimi Hendrix story.

When my wife was a tender young thing she hung out at a dance club in NYC called the Cheetah (the place where Hair was originally performed). Jimi Hendrix appeared there on a frequent basis. One evening my wife got to the club early and Hendrix was on stage doing sound tests. My wife went over to him and asked him if he could perform a favorite song of hers that night. He told her to have a seat and he not only played that song but a lot of others also. How many people can say that Jimi Hendrix performed a private concert for them?

TromboneAl said:
Just watched the Woodstock movie yesterday, and wondered if anyone from this forum was there.

Nope.

I was at Altamont that summer, about 30 feet from the stage.

" Funny, I saw Roy Buchanan twice at the 'Dillo in the 70s. I'm going to bet a basket of nachos and a Shiner bock that HFWR went to some concerts at the 'Dillo"

CaliforniaDreamer,
I saw those shows and another of his near his home in the D.C. area before moving to Austin after Woodstock '67

That was the Armidillo World Headquarters in Austin where I hung out for the better part of a decade. 'though Roy was good, he was just a guitar mechanic in my humble opinion.

I watched Stevie Ray Vaugh mature into a master. During his days playing every Thurdsay at the Rome Inn he went through a Hendrix period. As much as I was overwhelmed by Jimi I had to admit that Stevie was as god if not better, but such cannot be quantified.

The music scene in Austin is alive but not for me anylonger. Whatever is left of the 'old Austin' laid back progressive music scene is a 30 min to 1 hour drive west. I will not name the venues but if P.M. ed I will give the seeker searcher a list of where such can be found today.

Do I get some Nachos for that ?

Someone opined about the sexual revolution of the '60s. The peak of sexual promuscuity was during the days of Quaaludes - remember ? - I still resonate from that when I think back. The years '69 - '71 come to mind.

I left the States in '70 and backpacked through 35 countries for two years before returning to Austin in '72.

Two of the faithful here PMed me about the Woodstock files I have - I am now going through my hundreds of MP3 data disks and putting all on my big hard drive. I collected about 45,000 tracks during the Napster days. The Woodstock files are on three disks - give me a couple of weeks. I will send them by snail mail to each of you unless several more folks here message me - if that happens the first two might need to send two burned copies to two others. The files are in MP3 format and the sources are mostly good bootlegs and but some are commercial. Listening time is about 35 hours. Some real surprises - Richie Havens first of two numbers he played comes to mind and Santana had about three or four great tunes never recorded.

The Joan Baez performance was a real highlight of Friday as was Arlo and Richie. The complete performance of CSN&Y come to mind as being a great set.

At the time driving north wet and spacey, it took me 3 hours to restore my hearing (those Marshall amps) and thought that that was surely the end of a good thing we had going. However over the next few years as the hippie phenom grew, I figured differently. Now however, I think I was correct that day after all.

As Oat Willie said, " Onward Through the Fog" ( a rememberance from the good old days in Austin)

Yee Haw

Ol Rancher you were quite the bohemian! My days in Austin were late 70s and early 80s. Plenty wild and crazy but perhaps more restrained than your era. ;)

I loved the old music scene. Great stuff any night of the week. Stevie Ray, Jimmy's kid brother, jumping on stage to jam with the Thunderbirds. Unlimited number of artists with three names: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Willis Alan Ramsay, Lou Ann Barton, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Jerry Jeff Walker.... some blues, some alt-country.

Don't know what old places are left... Continental Club, Soap Creek Saloon, Anton's, Hole in the Wall, Liberty Lunch, Opry House, Threadgill's, Abel Moses?

Austintatious!

When in high school I saw Jimi Hendrix at a concert at Stonybrook University.

The "light show" consisted of a petrie dish of colored water and oil on an overhead projecter, with someone's finger swirling it around.

To tell the truth, I was bored.

Never saw Hendrix live, but from what I've seen of concert footage, he was hit and miss. However, the show a Woodstock was purdy damn good...

Roy Buchanan could also be overzealous with the wanking guitar acrobatics... Check out the 1976 release "Street Called Straight" for a more stately Roy, with some nice acoustic stuff.

Another master of the telecaster was Danny Gatton.

Best player I've ever seen: Al DiMeola...

Some of the speed freaks have no soul!!

Missed Woodstock, but got in on 3 festivals in Washington & Oregon.

Saw a lot of great concerts back in those days. Saw Stephen Stills throw up on stage at the Seattle Colloseum (drunk as a skunk, but he could still play!), and saw Joni Mitchell get streaked right during her performance. She was slightly taken aback, then managed to weave the incident into the lyrics of the song!

But I think the most amazing thing I saw was in Terry Hall, a dormitary at UW in Seattle. I was heading to class one morning when an old black guy was sitting on the hearth and playing in the lobby. There were 10 or 12 people gathered around listining. I realized it was Lightening Hopkins. So much for class--I wasn't going anywhere, at least until he was done.

While I'm reminiscing, just out of curiousity, anybody else remember Holy Hubert?

Back
Top Bottom