Were You Drafted?

There were a couple of birth years (about 5?) that were registration free - coming of age after the draft was cancelled, but before registration was retroactively reinstated in 1980. I think it was people born 1955-1959 or some such... I know my brother did *not* have to register - he was born in 1959. But my peers (born in 61) did have to register.

You are correct. The last lottery was drawn in 1972 for those born in 1953, but no one was drafted. No registration or lottery for those born in 1954-59. In 1980 Carter reinstated Selective Service registration for those born on 1/1/60 or after. Males are supposed to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday. However, the government does not prosecute those who fail to register or keep their address up to date, even though it's a felony. Wikipedia has a good article on the subject.

There were lotteries drawn after 1972.

From Wikipedia:

"....Draft lotteries were conducted again in 1971 (for those born in 1952) and 1972 to 1976 (for 1953 to 1956 births). The draft numbers issued in 1972 were never used to call for induction into service, because the last call was December 7 and authority to induct expired June 30, 1973.

The 1972 to 1975 lottery numbers were used to call some men born 1953 to 1956 for physical exams. The highest number called for a physical was 215 (for tables 1970 through 1976)."

Born in 1955, I had a lottery number (220), but was not drafted because the draft had ended.

Last edited:
Graduated High School in 1964, had no job prospects so I joined US Navy. In 1965 most guys I graduated High School with were drafted (VietNam)
So if I had not joined I would have been drafted anyway.

You are correct. The last lottery was drawn in 1972 for those born in 1953, but no one was drafted. No registration or lottery for those born in 1954-59. In 1980 Carter reinstated Selective Service registration for those born on 1/1/60 or after. Males are supposed to register within 30 days of their 18th birthday. However, the government does not prosecute those who fail to register or keep their address up to date, even though it's a felony. Wikipedia has a good article on the subject.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I was born in 1955, and when I didn't register when I turned 18 I received a letter telling me I could face jail time if I didn't. So I registered and drew number 32, but there was no draft at the time so I wasn't in danger. I'll have to go read the Wikipedia entry, but I've still got my letter somewhere filed away. Since hardly anything was computerized back then maybe it took a few months before my area caught up to the rule change.

Edit: I read the wiki, but some of it doesn't make sense.

With the end of active U.S. ground participation in Vietnam, December 1972 saw the last men conscripted, who were born in 1952and who reported for duty in June 1973. On February 2, 1972, a drawing was held to determine draft priority numbers for men born in 1953, but in early 1973 it was announced by Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird that no further draft orders would be issued.In March 1973, 1974, and 1975, the Selective Service assigned draft priority numbers for all men born in 1954, 1955, and 1956, in case the draft was extended, but it never was.
Since you could be drafted at 18, those drafted in '72 could have been born in 1954, not 1952. And if you received draft numbers through '75, you would have (I assume) have to have registered even if you were born in 1957 (18 in '75). Am I missing something?

Low lottery number here also (under 15). Went Navy.

Last edited:
Yes. My number came up #6 in 1972, It wasn't a week, and I had letter to report to my Local courthouse to ride a bus to Cleveland, OH for a physical.

After the physical, I was told to expect a letter within 30 days telling my when and where to report.

During that 30 days, they ended the draft. I never got a letter. And, I never volunteered.

I remember having a lottery number of 2, but the draft had ended. I was born in 1956.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I was born in 1955, and when I didn't register when I turned 18 I received a letter telling me I could face jail time if I didn't. So I registered and drew number 32, but there was no draft at the time so I wasn't in danger. I'll have to go read the Wikipedia entry, but I've still got my letter somewhere filed away. Since hardly anything was computerized back then maybe it took a few months before my area caught up to the rule change.

Edit: I read the wiki, but some of it doesn't make sense.

Since you could be drafted at 18, those drafted in '72 could have been born in 1954, not 1952. And if you received draft numbers through '75, you would have (I assume) have to have registered even if you were born in 1957 (18 in '75). Am I missing something?

I was born in '57 and I had to register in '75.

Hmmm, I was born in 57 as well but was told I didn't need to register, wonder if there's a warrant out there that I don't know about.

I remember that. I was born in '60, didn't have to register at 18, but did at 20. As a rebellious youngster I briefly entertained notions of resisting - then a lucrative summer job in the defense industry reared its head. I figured it would it be hypocritical to take money from the DoD if I wasn't willing (at least in principle) to serve. So register I did and there followed a glorious 35 years (including grad school paid by the Navy) of slurping up Defense money left and right.

Born in 1952. I believe that those born that year were the last ones to be drafted and actually sent to Vietnam. I vividly remember being at my part time job and listening to the lottery on the radio with a co-worker who was also born in '52. My birthday was drawn and I'm #290. What a relief. My buddy is still waiting. Finally, I see him coming out of the back room where we were listening to the radio. He was white as a sheep. He was #1. I left that job a few months later and never heard what happened to my buddy. Those were tough times to go through. I always felt bad for how those guys who actually went to Vietnam were treated when they returned. They were heroes, but certainly were not treated that way.

I received a draft notice but didn't report for induction - so is that a yes or a no?

I was drafted in October of 1969, two months after graduating from college and two months before the lottery began. I refused to report for induction :) after being accepted by the Air Force to attend Officer Training School three days before I had to board the bus to the induction center.

Never came closer than 30,000 ft to Vietnam.

I registered as a conscientious objector in 1969 1AO. Bused down to the armory for a physical and passed. Was going to school in CA living with a friend whose father was the president of the draft board. Lottery number around 250 my mom on the east coast kept forwarding letters from the draft board saying we know where you are FTA.

Hmmm, I was born in 57 as well but was told I didn't need to register, wonder if there's a warrant out there that I don't know about.

Depends on when in 1957 you were born. From the Selective Service System, "Men born from March 29, 1957 through December 31, 1959, were not required to register with the Selective Service System because the registration program was suspended when they would have reached age 18. The requirement to register with Selective Service was reinstated in 1980, but only for men born January 1, 1960, or later."

I was born in 1959, so never had to register.

I grew up not too far from the Oakland induction center and all the demonstrations. I was born at the tail end of 1953, most other people in my class were born in 1953. I knew a guy in high school with a low lottery number that had high blood pressure and was on the heavy side because of his genes. He got his notice shortly after he turned 18 and had to go to the induction center once a month to get weighed and his blood pressure measured until the draft stopped. Letters from his doctors were of no use. Couldn't leave the area until the draft ended.

I was born in 1955. I vaguely remember getting a draft card (not sure of this). One thing I do remember - thanking Nixon.

I had alot of hair back then!

Born 1949, went to college for a year and had a great time unrelated to good grades. Had my physical and was judged adequate. Visited the Air Force recruiter but that just sounded like a 9-5 job while the Navy sounded interesting, so I joined them. Went to boot camp where I was called "medically repairable" - something about 6'4" and 130#. After a week I told them I was all repaired so I could get a uniform and change of socks/underwear. I remember being on the ocean going to my first WestPac cruise when the lottery was called - I would have been #34. Navy was a very good experience for me.

Born in '54. Had to register, but was classified 1H, since the draft had ended. Contemplated joining, but in the end chose differently...

It's interesting to see those that were drafted and chose the Navy or AF. As I remember, my cousin, born in 1950 got drafted and had to go into the Army or Marines. According to him the Navy, AF, and Coast Guard were full up.

As a green card holder, but not yet a citizen, I was eligible for the draft. And I did get my draft notice. In May 1967.

However, I volunteered and entered US Army service 15 days before my draft date. Thus my original service number begins with the prefix RA. Draftees were identified with prefix US, National guard was NG. It cost me an extra year, but gave me the MOS choices I wanted.

A few months after my original discharge date in 1970 I became eligible for US citizenship. As a veteran they waived the application fee. Still had to pass all the background investigation and examination requirements. Then a dozen or so more years active reserve.

Given the above and all the requirements I had to pass to enter the US, gives me a fiercely negative attitude toward illegals in the country, and specially for those condoning them. Without apologies. Ever!

Last edited:
I was in the first draft lottery and came up number five. Rats! Took the physical in downtown Chicago and started getting letters from recruiters promising all sorts of cushy jobs. The Air Force recruiter was a straight shooter and told me that any recruiter that promised me anything was lying. I ended up spending my entire enlistment keeping the beaches of Florida safe for democracy. I went to night school and finished with an associates degree by the time I got out and the GI Bill came in handy as well as a work-study job with the VA while in college.

I remember gong to small town post office and had to register for draft. It was 1976 and I was a senior. I believe to war was pretty much done but had to register and got a number.

Does anyone know what year they stopped the draft registration in the 1970's?

Back
Top Bottom