Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Or be extra pragmatic and let the manager know you want to save even more time for the shopper and the store personnel with these inexpensive items not worth anyone's trouble to deal with and have popped them in the grocery bag right off the shelf! (i still think an unscannable item should just be left in the store and not taken by a shopper, regardless.)
You're welcome to your opinion. Im sure there's things that you and others do that I find to be less than 100% honest.

I noticed that you didn't comment on the fact that when I see an item get rung up by a cashier for $.50 or more than the posted price that I just let it go. I hate it when someone makes a big deal about it and holds the line up for 5 minutes while they call someone to come to the cashier, and then run back to the aisle and try to figure out what the correct price is.

Lets not even talk about the possibility that the store knows the items are ringing up for more than they should be. They happily give you the lower price if you complain, but you can bet the next person pays the higher price if they don't notice the incorrect price.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:51 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You're welcome to rationalize, but speak for yourself, not "everybody." There are plenty of people (here & elsewhere) who haven't done any of what you allege, you act like those examples are petty and routine. Just furthering your own rationalization.

I am not rationalizing at all.... nobody is perfect (including you)... and nobody has done everything morally correct... period... man is not built that way... BTW, morals for one society is different than others...

I just gave a few examples... there are plenty more... you might not have done what I put down... but I bet you have done something that someone else would consider 'stealing'.... did you ever use the company copier... did you use their computer to looks something up that you needed personally... yep, stealing...

Have you ever sped Opps... now you are a criminal.... see how easy it is to judge other people....

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I don't think the thread is getting ridiculous and I'm not sure that we are simply talking about a sub $1 item. Anyhow, it seems that you've made up your own rules about what you are entitled to--and why you are entitled to them. How about having six sub $1 items that don't scan? Do you take them all? How about the $1.25 item that doesn't scan?

Anyhow, the store eventually will need to take some action against a person whom is a repeat offender. Otherwise, word gets out that customers can get away not paying for items if they go through the self-check aisle.

I think that the total amount of items that I have 'stolen' is 3... in the last 5 years...

Unless you add in the extra things in bags, but that is my DW... I do not know how many in total, but I do know of 2...

Things left out of the bag might total 7... but we went back for 3 or 4 of them....
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am not rationalizing at all.... nobody is perfect (including you)... and nobody has done everything morally correct... period... man is not built that way... BTW, morals for one society is different than others...

I just gave a few examples... there are plenty more... you might not have done what I put down... but I bet you have done something that someone else would consider 'stealing'.... did you ever use the company copier... did you use their computer to looks something up that you needed personally... yep, stealing...

Have you ever sped Opps... now you are a criminal.... see how easy it is to judge other people....
Interesting how your story has changed considerably. It's a long way from your claim of "everybody 'steals'... period" then, to 'perfect' now. No one ever claimed to be perfect, but many here set the bar much higher than to knowingly steal because it's convenient, and rationalizing it's cost effective for the merchant.

NOT everybody 'steals'...period. Claiming otherwise is the where we take issue, not that we care what you do.

Yes, I have driven over the speed limit, but when did that fall under stealing - YOUR claim that prompted my earlier response?

Again, you can rationalize all you want. If assuming "everybody" is dishonest in some way makes you feel justified to steal, that's up to you - we really don't care. Just don't claim everybody does it - some people don't set their moral compass using lowest common denominator thinking...

We probably agree to disagree, it happens.
Quote:
Your last sentence says a lot... and it is kinda the point... everybody 'steals'... period...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Interesting how your story has changed considerably. It's a long way from your claim of "everybody 'steals'... period" then, to 'perfect' now. No one ever claimed to be perfect, but many here set the bar much higher than to knowingly steal because it's convenient, and rationalizing it's cost effective for the merchant.

NOT everybody 'steals'...period. Claiming otherwise is the where we take issue, not that we care what you do.

Yes, I have driven over the speed limit, but when did that fall under stealing - YOUR claim that prompted my earlier response?

Again, you can rationalize all you want. If assuming "everybody" is dishonest in some way makes you feel justified to steal, that's up to you - we really don't care. Just don't claim everybody does it - some people don't set their moral compass using lowest common denominator thinking...

We probably agree to disagree, it happens.

I will still stand by my stmt.... I would bet money that something has shown up in your possession that was not yours... and you did not return it... by some people here (not me) that is stealing... and I am talking your whole life.... I have had this happen to me more times than actually putting something in my bag....

Yes, we will agree to disagree...

I do find it interesting that today when I went to the store... there was something on sale for $2 but it scanned at $3.49.... easy fix... only one other person checking out and the clerk was not busy... but I look at prices... somebody probably paid the full price...
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
This thread is getting a bit ridiculous. We are talking about a sub $1 item that doesn't scan correctly after several tries and the shopper not wanting to wait for the overworked self serve cashier who is helping 3 other people with their broken scanners.
Given your background, you are most likely correct. Still, I think it is unwise for any citizen to run the risk of a cop encounter because he doesn't want to abandon his item, or wait to get help.

Don't you ever see the videos some citizens shoot of police interactions? How about that thin blue line member in McKinney TX who wrestled the bikini wearing teenager to the turf, and then ran after some guys with his gun pointed at the fleeing guys?

No thanks, I'll abandon most anything just to make all cop interactions less likely. Maybe the responding officer just found out that his wife has a BF? Would I want him to have to deal with me because I erroneously think it is my right to walk out with a 69 cent item. Yo creo que no!

Ha
Old 06-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #87

You're really going to compare a cops mental state during an encounter with 300 teenagers some of whom are fighting and cursing everyone, to a call where someone stole a $.69 lemon?

This thing has been beaten to death. All I was saying is that its very annoying that the scanners never work like they are supposed to. Occassionally I take a $0.69 bar of soap because it wont scan and I feel like Im saving everyones time by not waiting 10 mins for the overworked self serve cashier to finish with the other broken scanners. I also pay extra for mis priced items so I dont have to wait 10 minutes to have the correct price verified. Based on those 2 common scenarios, my conscience is clear and money wise it works out in the end. If you find this a heinous act of thievery, thats your opinion.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You're really going to compare a cops mental state during an encounter with 300 teenagers some of whom are fighting and cursing everyone, to a call where someone stole a $.69 lemon?

This thing has been beaten to death. All I was saying is that its very annoying that the scanners never work like they are supposed to. Occassionally I take a $0.69 bar of soap because it wont scan and I feel like Im saving everyones time by not waiting 10 mins for the overworked self serve cashier to finish with the other broken scanners. I also pay extra for mis priced items so I dont have to wait 10 minutes to have the correct price verified. Based on those 2 common scenarios, my conscience is clear and money wise it works out in the end. If you find this a heinous act of thievery, thats your opinion.
You are attributing things to me that I never said, and never even thought. I don't care at all about your morals, your law abiding nature, or anything else. I think as LEO, you undoubtedly command a certain status that the man in the street might not. I don't consider myself an arbiter of correct behavior. I don't even have pet peeves, or really any peeves at all. I want to minimize my chances of getting into difficulty, and I am experienced enough to realize that **** happens. Police are human, like everyone else. They have good days and bad days, some of them have very good judgment, some not good at all. They have dangerous, stressful jobs, that can blow up suddenly. They are big, they lift weights and they carry guns, mace, Tasers, etc. I do not want to ever be perceived as adding to their stress.

I just said that it is very unwise to invite an interaction with the law over what one's opinion of scanners may or may not be. I behave just like I behave when someone is walking along the sidewalk and gives signs that he considers all of it his. Ok sir, after you!

I don't think this applies to you. You have different understanding, and no doubt different standing. I am speaking to what I consider generally prudent behavior for the man in the street.

Ha
Old 06-10-2015, 03:33 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

While we have two (steadfastly, as usual) divergent camps, at least we have full agreement on one point.

I am among the guilty...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #90

Do you think it would be more morally justified if the person in question was precariously poor? Sometimes I think scrupulous honesty is something the well to do can afford (and should persue) while those less fortunate may not be able to afford it?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
And, apparently the latest theme is: walking out with, but not paying for, items at the supermarket.
And just like the mainstream media who report bits and pieces of a story to fit their agenda, this quote leaves out the part about these certain people over paying for items that ring up at a higher than posted price at said grocery store for the same reason...to save everyone's time instead of wasting time over $0.50
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #92

I purchased three pounds of cherries after leaving the store I noticed it rang up one pound. It's worth it when you go back and just say "the cherries rang up wrong" and see the look on the their face when they figure you owe them!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

I bought 8 items (foam insulation for pipes) that I thought were identical at HD last week, but got them home and found two were "deluxe" (had peel and stick adhesive) and 6 were "standard" (no glue). I wanted the ones with glue. It turned out that they'd charged me for 8 standard ones. I used the 2 "glued" ones and returned the 6 "standard" ones. What a mess at the return desk, trying to explain that I owed them more money for the two "deluxe" ones that I hadn't brought back--it proved impossible for her to charge me. Finally, when I bought the stuff I needed, I just rang up one more insulation sleeve than I actually had in my hand, the amounts worked out right. But their inventory won't be.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
While we have two (steadfastly, as usual) divergent camps, at least we have full agreement on one point.

I am among the guilty...
I just want to comment that when multiple animated GIF icons are posted, their movements are synchronized.

I think it would be way cooler if they are randomized, so as not to be in phase.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #95
Full time employment: Posting here.

If they support a claim of agreement, synchronization is essential.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think that the total amount of items that I have 'stolen' is 3... in the last 5 years...

Is that possibly 3 too many?

You might want to look at the stats for various criminal convictions in Texas (it's the last place I'll be in when I have to dispatch DW).
Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I am among the guilty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just want to comment that when multiple animated GIF icons are posted, their movements are synchronized.

I think it would be way cooler if they are randomized, so as not to be in phase.
Hmmmm, like (see if this works... set the delay to 100 ms, 127 ms and 149 ms - the last two being prime #'s)

See, there are two types of people in this world - the dreamers, and the do-ers! Ummm, and a third type... those with too much time on their hands!

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: gif horse3A.gif (8.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: gif horse3B.gif (8.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: gif horse3C.gif (8.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 06-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #98

Finally a nice laugh after a serious thread diversion.

ERD, you need to patent that.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #99

I am actually laughing out loud! And for the record, I am pragmatic! I well remember when confronting a politically connected engineering firm for scamming my city that the mayor's chief admin took me to lunch and nicely told me I was a typical pragmatic engineer. I actually looked pragmatic up to confirm my understanding of what I'd been told. I admitted to myself that yeah, maybe he was right.

It is interesting to see the (sometimes rather strident IMO) takes on this.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Very cool!

ERD50 is certainly a do-er!

See, people in a mob do not all act in unison, like cheerleaders or line dancers. There has to be some variations in their movements.

Now, how about the horses wriggling their legs a bit differently.