What about Margarine?

If my life is a little shorter because I prefer butter, then so be it. Margarine tastes like crap.

It might not make your life shorter but it might make the later years of your life miserable. The fact is all margarine does not taste like crap and avoiding bypasses, angioplasty or heart transplants in the future might just be worth it. My Dad had the same idea about margarine, ate butter like it was going out of style and he had a massive heart attack and died at 60. Reminds me of those that smoke saying the same kind of thing.
I would suggest trying different brands of margarine because some are about as close to butter as you can get. Butter is almost 100% animal fat. In moderation it is fine but if you can subsitite something almost as good tasting and better for you, why not?

It might not make your life shorter but it might make the later years of your life miserable. The fact is all margarine does not taste like crap and avoiding bypasses, angioplasty or heart transplants in the future might just be worth it. My Dad had the same idea about margarine, ate butter like it was going out of style and he had a massive heart attack and died at 60. Reminds me of those that smoke saying the same kind of thing.
I would suggest trying different brands of margarine because some are about as close to butter as you can get. Butter is almost 100% animal fat. In moderation it is fine but if you can subsitite something almost as good tasting and better for you, why not?

My daily consumption of butter (the whipped kind) probably amounts to 1/2 a tablespoon.

Recent studies have seemed to show that the hydrogenated fats in margarine is worse for you than regular old animal fat.

I've given up on red meat and cheese for the most part. Butter I simply refuse to give up all butter for something that actually may be worse for you.

Remember margarine years ago? They didn't put color in it so people wouldn't confuse it with butter. I remember these plastic packages of white stuff with a little button of color to push. You then would mix the color in by squeezing the package. Fun kid stuff.

Remember margarine years ago? They didn't put color in it so people wouldn't confuse it with butter. I remember these plastic packages of white stuff with a little button of color to push. You then would mix the color in by squeezing the package. Fun kid stuff.

I only know about that, but only from hearing about it from my parents. So how old are you really? Your profile says 52, but signature says "Don't rely on the information provided."

From Wikipedia, states lifted their margarine restrictions at different times, with the last to remove restrictions Wisconsin in 1967.

But don't rely on that. ;)

unsalted organic butter on everything! toast, naan, pasta, baking etc...

grew up on country crock though...the giant tub was a staple in our fridge growing up and only recently was removed from my parent's home after i nudged them to the real stuff...

My daily consumption of butter (the whipped kind) probably amounts to 1/2 a tablespoon.

Recent studies have seemed to show that the hydrogenated fats in margarine is worse for you than regular old animal fat.

I've given up on red meat and cheese for the most part. Butter I simply refuse to give up all butter for something that actually may be worse for you.

You are behind the times. There are many margarine spreads that have no hydrogenated fat. Try this on toast in the morning.
Promise buttery spread:
Promise® spreads have no trans fat, are non-hydrogenated and are created with Heart Health Essentials™, a balanced blend of essential fatty acids low in saturated fat and high in omega-3 ALA and omega-6*, and vitamin E. When you replace butter or margarine with Promise® spreads, as part of a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, you’re actually helping to maintain heart health.* Contains 500 mg of omega-3 ALA per serving, which is 40% of the Daily Value for ALA (1.3 g). Contains 3400 mg omega-6 fatty acids per serving.

Farmer's Bounty...

"Because toast is a result of study and reflection."

"This stuff tastes like raw suet..."

oleo can't hold a candle to butter. Won't use the fake stuff

Now, peanut butter with honey on warm toast is divine on a cold morning.

I remember the little blisters of color and I also remember you're not supposed to poke at the blister while it's in the grocery cart. :rant:

Margarine restrictions must have ended in Ohio in the early 50's because I only remember the color blisters when I was real young.

You are behind the times. There are many margarine spreads that have no hydrogenated fat. Try this on toast in the morning.
Promise buttery spread:
Promise® spreads have no trans fat, are non-hydrogenated and are created with Heart Health Essentials™, a balanced blend of essential fatty acids low in saturated fat and high in omega-3 ALA and omega-6*, and vitamin E. When you replace butter or margarine with Promise® spreads, as part of a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol, you’re actually helping to maintain heart health.* Contains 500 mg of omega-3 ALA per serving, which is 40% of the Daily Value for ALA (1.3 g). Contains 3400 mg omega-6 fatty acids per serving.

Thanks, but I will stick with the real thing. My cholesterol hangs right around 120 so I'm not losing any sleep.

Besides, how do you expect me to take you seriously with a Packer in your avatar?

You are behind the times. There are many margarine spreads that have no hydrogenated fat.

Perhaps these new spreads will live up to their marketing. Many people will remember how old-fasioned margarine was originally marketed as healthier than butter. Anyone who was skeptical that this sort of highly processed fat was going to be healthy was eventually vindicated when the scary name "trans fat" was invented and finally got people to take action against foods that had been known to cause health problems for a long time. Will this happen again, or have they really gotten it right this time? We'll just have to wait another few decades to see.

Thanks, but I will stick with the real thing. My cholesterol hangs right around 120 so I'm not losing any sleep.

Besides, how do you expect me to take you seriously with a Packer in your avatar?

When the Bears WIN a Super Bowl, we can talk......:D Kyle Orton, Brian Griese, and Rex Grossman are more Three Stooges than Three Musketeers.........;)

From Wikipedia, states lifted their margarine restrictions at different times, with the last to remove restrictions Wisconsin in 1967.

But don't rely on that. ;)

I remember hearing stories on that....Grandpa, the dairy farmer called it "axle grease";)

the last to remove restrictions Wisconsin in 1967.

I grew up in Wisconsin (before 1967). We usta fight over who got to break the thingy that colored the margarine (was it called a cherry?).

I grew up in Wisconsin (before 1967). We usta fight over who got to break the thingy that colored the margarine (was it called a cherry?).

We like REAL BUTTER here in the dairy state. My grandpa was a farmer and died at 93 , and he ate a lot of butter, drank whole milk, ate eggs everyday, etc.

And I NEVER beat him at arm wrestling.........;)

Margarine? As the young wife's students would say, "ewwwh".

I love butter too, but there are some margarines out there that are just as good and are better for you. It's not the oleo of the 60's
Not just a Packer. Brett Favre. Do you know who he is?

What is this crap! I remember my Dad telling me it was homemade butter from the people across the road(their cow pasture adjoined our driveway (a great football field with a fresh cow pie being as good a pulling guard).

SW Washington - grew up on margarine. Took years before I could stand the taste of butter - in spite of 'I can't believe it's not butter..'

I am trying some generic no name no trans fat stuff - it don't melt right either.

heh heh heh - when I was out of college - in my 'high class' phase I ate it(real butter) even though I didn't like it. Caviar tastes like crap too! Now a Moon Pie and an RC Cola -:D

Last edited:
heh heh heh - when I was out of college - in my 'high class' phase I ate it(real butter) even though I didn't like it. Caviar tastes like crap too! Now a Moon Pie and an RC Cola -:D

"First you make a roux..." >:D

Back
Top Bottom