Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What age to allow daughter to pierce ears?
Below 10 - why wait 6 12.24%
10 to 11 2 4.08%
12 to 13 11 22.45%
14 to 15 5 10.20%
15 to 16 4 8.16%
17 and above 2 4.08%
Why should she get her ears pierced 19 38.78%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2014, 05:27 PM   #21

I don't have kids but I suspect I'd say probably about 14.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Why limit it to daughters? The majority of my eight nephews (all in their 20s) have pierced ears. I don't recall when they did it.

I guess you do not have to... but my 16 YO son has not even said anything about doing it... and I do not think he wants to...

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
If she wants to grow up very fast then I'd delay the glorious moment as long as possible. Sort of bait for good behavior.

DW got hers done in her 20's. She's had trouble with one ear probably because it was done by a dumb amateur. Not a real problem but I'm sure she wishes she had it done by the doc or someone very competent.

I hope your daughter is not the rebellious type. There are too many people getting weird tattoos and piercings. Probably will lead to many regrets in future decades.

I actually have a very good daughter... not rebellious at all.. very proud of her in fact..

But, she is subject to peer pressure... and lots of her friends are getting it done.... but also a lot of her friends have I-phones and I have told her she is not getting one ever (at least from me)....
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Oh, BTW... my mom is 94 and does not have pierced ears... I kinda use that against her
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had my ears pierced around 13-14 yrs old. Can't remember the exact age. I do remember the self-piercing earrings and used them. I think that I pierced them too low and ended up going to a doc and had them pierced again higher. Never had any infections. I let my DD have hers pierced when she asked to have them pierced. I told her that it would hurt, so that she would be prepared. She was always such a wimp about shots and would cry loudly. I took her to an earring store in the mall. She never let out a whimper. I don't remember the age, but probably 7-9 years old. She never had a problem with infection. My granddaughter had hers pierced at 5 years old and hers have not been infected either. I would never consider having a child's ears pierced if she did not want them pierced. I have only 1 piercing in my ear. My mother who died in 1991 had 4 or 5 in each ear!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I absolutely will not pierce my ears before I turn 150 years old. After that watch out baby!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think it is mainly cultural. Latinas and African American girls often get pierced ears while still infants. Middle class white children often later.

But is hardly seems reasonable to call these piercings. Take a look at your friendly barista, not much flesh that isn't pierced, tattooed, deformed or otherwise altered.

Ha
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I was not permitted to get my ears pierced. My mother considered pierced ears "slutty". So, two days after I turned 18 (day one was to go to a bar to celebrate legal age at the time) I went to a local department store and asked to have my ears pierced since I did not need parental permission. The jewelry clerked looked at my ID and said "Happy Birthday" then proceeded to pierce my ears.

If you need to know the next stop . . . . was down the mall to one of those "incense stores" to buy a pair of earrings to use as well, um, you know (if you are from the 70's you know).
Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

2 daughters. Both had ears pierced by age 5 (maybe age 4).

We asked them if they wanted it done, and explained that it might sting, pinch or hurt a little (like a shot at the doctor's office). They both did it when they were ready.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm-7 View Post
I was not permitted to get my ears pierced. My mother considered pierced ears "slutty". So, two days after I turned 18 (day one was to go to a bar to celebrate legal age at the time) I went to a local department store and asked to have my ears pierced since I did not need parental permission. The jewelry clerked looked at my ID and said "Happy Birthday" then proceeded to pierce my ears.

If you need to know the next stop . . . . was down the mall to one of those "incense stores" to buy a pair of earrings to use as well, um, you know (if you are from the 70's you know).

Age 16. My mom did one for me the old-fashioned way, but I wouldn't let her do the other one so went and had them done at a dept. store. It was quick and easy.

The next day I flipped my long hair back and pulled one of the studs out and lost it. That meant the other one had to come out and then 2 new ones went in. My friend helped me with that.

I had the equivalent of 5 piercings but only 2 places to put earrings. That is plenty.

And I am from the 70's and have no idea what you bought those earrings for from the incense shop.

However, I was amongst the geekiest of band geeks and am sure a lot got by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Disclaimer: I don't have kids. Allowing a kid to get their ears pierced at age X is really just a participation trophy. Why not allow the kid to get their ears pierced when they achieve a certain goal. Tie it to achievement and not to age. Tie it to grades in school or if they want a family pet. When the dog is house trained, can sit, roll over and beg then you can get your ears pierced. Make them work for it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
OK... DW and I are having a discussion about daughter getting ears pierced...

So, decided to get the opinion of the forum on this...

If you have a daughter, when did you allow it?

If you do not and female.... when did you get them pierced?

If neither.... well, what do you think
My daughter was 6 or 7. We figured if she was brave enough to do it, she was also old enough.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW does not have pierced ears. Our DD, who is over 30, does not have pierced ears.

DW does wear clip-on ear rings. DD does not wear ear rings. Period.

Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote