Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick. Gives you a whole new perspective on the Europeon settlement of America, and interaction with the Native American Indians, starting about 150 years before the Revolution. Easy to read interesting story, with the history obviously meticuously researched (and documented with the footnotes and bibliography).

That took me from 1620 up through 1676 with just a smattering of coverage up to 1776.

Whet my history appetite, so now I am getting ready for David McCullough's award winning biography "John Adam's". If I like that, I may have to pick up McCullough's "1776" recently out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I forgot to bring my books so started reading my wife's books. Eat Pray Love, and Where God Was Born. Pretty good books, gotta say they have more of a plot than my own books, such as Chaos, Rare Earth, and The End of Iraq.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan. Nord's recommended series. Very interesting and different perspective of the people on the ground dealing with various countries around the world.

Next up - The Last Days of the Incas by Kim Macquirie. I love history.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Just finished a few minutes ago John Sanford's Dark of the Moon. I like his Minnesota police detective stories and this one features a minor character from his Lucas Davenport books. About to start James Patterson's Double Cross, yet another Alex Cross mystery.

Also reading Ken Wilber's Quantum Questions, a collection of writings on mysticism and religion by great physicists.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm also a mystery reader and my sister got me into Michael Connelly but I'm also a big James Patterson fan .
Old 01-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

"Claytie". Hey, don't laugh. If this guy hadn't screwed up in his race against Ann Richards for TX governor, Dubya might have never run for political office. Then we'd all be bitching about some other president...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
Just finished 'Rescuing Sprite' by Mark Levin. About a rescue dog his family adopted. Very moving since Sprite was near the end of his life.

Also read 'T is for Trespass' by Sue Grafton. Much better than her last book. A couple of things bothered me, but they were minor.

Getting ready to start Clive Cussler's new book 'The Chase'.

I love the Sue Grafton novels. I thought T for Trespass was a good one, her novels always makes for some entertaining reading.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I love the Sue Grafton novels. I thought T for Trespass was a good one, her novels always makes for some entertaining reading.
Me too !
Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

The only thing I don't like about the Grafton novels is that they are stuck in time, she still is living in the 1980s. I prefer Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone, who at least has done some aging, albeit slower than the calender.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The only thing I don't like about the Grafton novels is that they are stuck in time, she still is living in the 1980s. I prefer Marcia Muller's Sharon McCone, who at least has done some aging, albeit slower than the calender.

I never thought about it that way but you are right .She's had the same VW and one black dress since A is for Alibi .
Old 01-12-2008, 05:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Finished Prizzi's Money (Richard Condon) -- OK, but not great.
Reading Gunslinger (Stephen King) -- weird so far.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #32

I loved the gunslinger series. I was sad when it all ended!
Old 01-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished "Chosen Prey" by John Sandford. The best part is I grew up in Minneapolis and am familiar with the locations. Several years ago,in another of his novels, I figured out that the killer was running from the law through the apartment building where my daughter lived, while in college! Strange!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #34

Take On The Street by Arthur Levitt-I have put it down due to the holidays and traveling. I am getting ready to leave on a cruise and this is not the type of book to take on a cruise. I love seeing what everyone is reading though and it gives me new ideas.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #35

Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres. It's transporting.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #36

"Spook" and "Stiff" by Mary Roach; I would recommend both
Have going currently "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis (gift from sis.. very English) and
"Wittgenstein's Mistress" by David Markson, which is eerily mesmerizing
Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #37

War in the Woods by Mart Laar

Book Description

With the Soviet reoccupation after World War II, Estonians faced a choice of submitting to Communist puppets or trying to survive in the traditional refuge of their forests while waiting for help from the West which never came. Those who chose the second course, Estonia's "Forest Brothers," mounted an armed resistance which, for more than a decade, seriously challenged Soviet rule. This is their story, told for the first time by sources within Estonia. This account is drawn from interviews with Forest Brothers who survived and relatives of those who died, and from documents and photographs from Soviet KGB files. It reflects Estonian courage and humor, the faith and sacrifice of a people suppressed, and the indomitable determination of a free nation to regain independence.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #38

Black Wind - Clive Cussler (have "The Chase" and "Treasure of Khan" by Cussler waiting to be read)
Several woodworking magazines
2 books on customizing Google Maps
Old 01-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm reading "Eureka" by Jim Lehrer and am highly disappointed. It's set in Kansas, and as I like to do, I get out the atlas for geographical reference. He's got the towns on the wrong highways, and towns are misplaced by distance and location. Jeez, do some research for gosh sakes. Another rant on time & distance; I'll be reading a book and it will say something like: "The cop identified the bad guy coming down the road about 300-400 yards away." Well, if you can identify somebody who's 4 football fields away then you've got a lot better eyesight than I do. I mostly read fiction thrillers and mysteries, but I want it to make sense.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #40

War's End (Maj. Gen. Charles W. Sweeney)