Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

You Staying Young by Michael Roizen and Mehmet Oz

Have to be young with I FIRE

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #62
Confused about dryer sheets

I like all types of mysteries. I am presently reading The Navigator by Clive Cussler. Just finished Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. I don't usually stick to one author.

I also like the humorous mysteries like the Plum series by Evanovich.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
War & Remembrance, Herman Wouk
This is a great book, as is Winds of War.

As for me, I'm rereading War & Peace. As I approach the end I get sad that it will soon be over as it's such a masterpiece.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by podey View Post
This is a great book, as is Winds of War.

As for me, I'm rereading War & Peace. As I approach the end I get sad that it will soon be over as it's such a masterpiece.
"War and Peace," Wow! I never got through that one but did finish "Anna K."

I put Greenspanís "The Age of Turbulence" and Obamaís "Dreams of My Father" on my Kindle. Curiously, Greenspan uses simple, straightforward English; itís a walk down memory lane, both entertaining and fascinating. Mametís play, "Speed the Plow" along with a booklet put out by the theater, a sort of expanded program; Iíll see the play this weekend so might be inspired to read it in advance. Silkoís "Ceremony" is waiting by my elbow and I sent a sample of a book of criticism on it to the Kindle; that along with the impetus of a book club might get me into it; I tried to read it once before but didnít get very far.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post

I also like the humorous mysteries like the Plum series by Evanovich.
I did not know they were humoroous mysteries . I'll have to read one .Thanks !
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
How To Retire Early and Live Well on Less Than a Million Dollars. I know........I'm probably the last one on this board to read it!
Nope. I'm next after you...

I just finished A Walk In the Woods (Bill Bryson). What a hoot!

But, I am sure that I am the last one on this forum to begin reading Work Less, Live More (Bob Clyatt).
Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Robin Hobb, Ship of Destiny.

3rd book in a trilogy. This trilogy is the middle trilogy in a trio of trilogies. The genre is fantasy, and the first book is Assassin's Apprentice. Fabulous books if you are into epic fantasy.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #68
Confused about dryer sheets

Moemg,

The Plum series will make you laugh out loud. They are numbered. Start with #1 if you can. That way you can get a background on the characters and see how they progress. I'm waiting for #14 to come out.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #69

I'm totally backed up with 14 books currently stacked on the table next to my bed. There are biographies, history, humor, etc. Mostly non-fiction. I'm not even sure where I got them all. Right now I'm about to finish "A Mathematician Plays the Stock Market" by John Allen Paulos, one I bought that was recommended to me by a close friend with a PhD in Finance. It's a self-deprecating, technically light explanation of a lot of the ways to invest in the market and how they work, or don't work. It was not very expensive even as a hardback. I've learned some things from it that may be useful.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #70

tightasadrum - I'm like you! I've hit a few library book sales in the last two months, and I have more books than I know what to do with! My stack has fiction, non-fiction, some classics that I never read etc.

I am reading the Harry Potter series - finished book 3, don't have 4 yet, so have to hit the library.

In the meantime, I am reading Charles Dickens' Hard Times, and, at the same time, the "S" book in Patricia Cornwell's series.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I recent read half way through Bob Dylans "chronicles" and I just could not take it anymore. I love his music hate the book. Usually if I don't like a book I will trudge through and finish eventually. In fact I can only remember giving up on a book once in recent memory, "Kite Runner" It was actually very well written but I identified too closely with the main character and at some point became too sickened with guilt to go on.

Finished the last Harry Potter last night. I am a little old to be reading it but I had to see what the uproar was about and then was hooked on the series. This one was the best of the bunch.

Half way through Le Cordon Bleu's Kitchen Essentials. Good book about how to cook as opposed to a cookbook. The Cook's Illustrated: Best Recipe is a good in between cookbook and how to cook book.

Just starting Water for Elephants.

There are a dozen more waiting to be read but I can't seem to keep up. I read about 1.5 books/2 weeks. I have a little too much of my uncle in me who is said to have read every single book in the local library back in the 70's. Certainly there was something else interesting going on... strange man. He retired in his mid 40's but died soon after.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wow.. boutros.. the Kite Runner made a big impression on me --a white, privileged Anglo lady whose closest brush with the Middle East is the oriental architecture of Puglia. (A complicated story there.)

But it's a small world.. I LOVE Cook's Illustrated. It's so exquisitely (I was going to say 'deliciously') anal! I know -coincidentally- 2 people from the Boston area who have worked on the magazine and the "Test Kitchen" TV show, met through 2 different channels. My last trip to the US one of them promised me an overseas off-load of some superfluous "Cooks'" books/mags she has accumulated.

I read at a similar pace. When English books are infinitely avail. even greater.. sometimes a book/night. My retention is not of the highest level, but I must consume, like popcorn!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:24 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote is a tremendous book about a guy and his dog. He's an outdoor writer and the book is interspersed with tales of hunts and hikes and with lore of training and speculation on the domestication of canids. He devotes substantial space to vignettes inclusive of friends and just enough about his love life to spice it up.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #74

thanks windsurf.. I will check that out (I have a dog, but am not a hiker).

As far as dog literature is concerned, I can (kinda) recommend "Bones Would Rain from the Sky" and "Animal Happiness". Both have flaws but also precious insights that outweigh those flaws. They are more 'behavioral stories' than adventure stories.. and "Animal Happiness" in particular is not limited to dogs.

Brings to mind a story with an autistic kid as the narrator: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". I thought that was good. Another fairly recent dog-related mystery with a bit more sentimentality: "The Dogs of Babel".. maybe not perfect as a pure mystery, but poignant. You could do worse.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #75

Anyone else enjoy the Dresden Files? The sci fi show was horrible but the books are pretty good read
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutros View Post
I recent read half way through Bob Dylans "chronicles" and I just could not take it anymore. I love his music hate the book. Usually if I don't like a book I will trudge through and finish eventually.
Yes! I had the same experience. I thought it started OK, but then it became a plodding, shaggy dog story that never seemed to get anywhere. I may go back to it though just to skim it later.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #77

Thanks for the Merle's Door rec--I just requested it from the library!
I got my boss that Bill Bryson book plus the wonderful Younger Next Year for Christmas and he loved them both!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #78

Since I'm still a working stiff (two jobs!), reading time is cut - however, I did read Childhood's End, Clarke, and am halfway through Rendezvouz with Rama, Clarke. Two other books I've read this year and recommend are America: the Last Best Hope Vols 1 and 2 by William Bennett - excellent non-dry history of the US from Christopher Columbus on. I've got the biography of Edith Wharton queued up and am 1/3rd of the way through Thirteen by Morgan.

My downfall is reading the WSJ and seeing the Five Best list every week - I cry as I know I won't be able to read all of them.....sniffle. In any case, the Five Best list has great books to read - I can't stand reading a book that is mediocre as it wastes my time.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutros View Post
I recent read half way through Bob Dylans "chronicles" and I just could not take it anymore. I love his music hate the book. Usually if I don't like a book I will trudge through and finish eventually.
Me too, that was exactly my experience with "the Dylan Chronicles"! I had to give myself permission to stop reading it. Thereís got to be a joke in there somewhere about "you donít have to be a weatherman...." It looked like a great autobiography at first; I was fascinated with the part about his childhood and remember that when I was a child his home town had a reputation for being wide open [open pit mining as a metaphor]. I was a little hard on him for changing his origin story on the way up; itís got to be human nature, sometimes I tell people Iím from Chicago because its easier than explaining a more obscure place, but technically Iím am from there. So Dylan mooched off his acquaintances and pretentiously describes the deep books he picked up off their shelves. [Heíll tell you what heís reading.] What was that about all his conquests, what about Joan Baez? How could anyone make it so uninteresting. ugh....
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
But it's a small world.. I LOVE Cook's Illustrated. It's so exquisitely (I was going to say 'deliciously') anal! I know -coincidentally- 2 people from the Boston area who have worked on the magazine and the "Test Kitchen" TV show, met through 2 different channels. My last trip to the US one of them promised me an overseas off-load of some superfluous "Cooks'" books/mags she has accumulated.
I tried to like Cooks Illustrated - I want to like it - I need the abridged version - I can't read through the 87 different ways they broiled the chicken - just tell me the best one! but i do like the show! hehe lazy me

I am sort of reading Love in the time of cholera - but it's not my style of writing - too much detail (uh oh, theme here) and i think the main character would be diagnosed with some disorder and/or considered a stalker these days! not sure it's the greatest love story ever...hehe but maybe it will by the end.

also, the "before the beginning" book about cosmology/physics i found via the other thread about religion...