Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for some great suggestions. I'm another one of those who is still working so I don't get to read as much as I'd like to.

I'm currently in the middle of "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. For those of us non-science types who barely scraped through high school physics and chemistry it is clear, easily readable, and written at the perfect level to get a basic understanding of such concepts as quantum physics and the current theories about the start of life.

I usually alternate between fiction and non-fic. I recently finished a great fiction book called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan about two girls in rural China in the 1800's. I couldn't put it down. Water for Elephants is up next, but I think I'm also going to pick up Atonement by McEwan as it has gotten so much buzz.
meridiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridiver View Post
I usually alternate between fiction and non-fic.
Variety is a good thing. I might be taking it to the extreme, since today I am engrossed in both The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing, and the Bible, and going back and forth from one to the other.

I re-read much of Genesis this morning, having just received the new Bible I ordered last week when the Bible thread inspired me to send off for one. Genesis is just PACKED with tidbits and does not lend itself to rushing through if one wants to think about anything. I think I'll probably go back and re-read and study it some.

Meanwhile I'm skipping back and forth to the Larimore et al. Bogleheads book, and have covered another 100 pages of it too. I really think it may be the best introduction to investing I have read to date.

Yes, I'm a Gemini, in case anyone believes in that stuff, and I suppose that today I am acting like one!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now reading Younger Next Year.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #104
Gone but not forgotten

I'm reading the four pillars of investing and Honeymoon with my brother .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Finished Atonement last night. Great read!
Before that, I read Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. Very moving.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

I keep seeing it on the front shelves of Border's. Is this a Chick Lit book?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Atonement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
I keep seeing it on the front shelves of Border's. Is this a Chick Lit book?
No, there's plenty of blood and gore in it!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:07 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now reading Younger Next Year.
T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older. They even have a web site. Please let us know what you think about the book.

Younger Next Year - Turn Back Your Biological Clock

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older.
Heaven forbid if anyone enjoys peace, quiet, and solitude in retirement!

Oh well. I suppose SOME connections are important in order to avoid the "fallen and I can't get up" scenario. And, I'd rather not have my dead body found months after my eventual demise. But still, it does not sound very appealing to me to have someone who doesn't even know me recommend maintaining connections with other people in my old age. Sounds pushy.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Before that, I read Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankl. Very moving.
I tried to read Atonement and hated it so much I couldn't get past page 20, I never finished it. I hear the film has great review by critics, but everyone I know who has gone to see the movie hasn't liked it. It has been described as being like The English Patient but more boring.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #111

"Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books," Azar Nafisi
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Yes, I'm a Gemini, in case anyone believes in that stuff, and I suppose that today I am acting like one!
SO! That explains everything. Hello, fellow Gemini!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
SO! That explains everything. Hello, fellow Gemini!
Hi there!! Too bad this forum doesn't have a "waving hello" emoticon (oh well). June 8th here.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #114
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Oh well. I suppose SOME connections are important in order to avoid the "fallen and I can't get up" scenario. And, I'd rather not have my dead body found months after my eventual demise. But still, it does not sound very appealing to me to have someone who doesn't even know me recommend maintaining connections with other people in my old age. Sounds pushy.
Written by extroverts who are afraid of being alone?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #115
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Unless You & Frank break up I think you are safe from that fear !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:28 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I tried to read Atonement and hated it so much I couldn't get past page 20, I never finished it. I hear the film has great review by critics, but everyone I know who has gone to see the movie hasn't liked it. It has been described as being like The English Patient but more boring.
That's about how far I got with the book also. I thought the movie rang false.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Written by extroverts who are afraid of being alone?
Probably! Pushy, domineering ones who feel defensive about their fear of solitude, too, and want EVERYBODY to share that fear whether they want to or not!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Unless You & Frank break up I think you are safe from that fear !
True. Even though we both appreciate the freedom to spend time alone (as well as other time that we spend together), I doubt that I would have to worry about my rotting corpse only being discovered by the city six months after I die. I really don't see much point in keeping up many other connections, though.

OK, today I am reading All About Asset Allocation by Richard A. ("Rick") Ferri who is also over at the Bogleheads forum. So far so good, though pul-eeze, I am already familiar with statistical correlation. But he makes some good points, like how you should WRITE DOWN your asset allocation once determined, and stick to it. One would think he was peering over my shoulder.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

I have eclectic reading habits. Currently I'm reading this:

Amazon.com: The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing World: Books: Alexander Roy

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-Al,
I've read this book and I liked it. It's written by an old guy and a young doctor. Basic premise is don't act your age. Spinning classes, extreme exercise are all recommended, and they especially recommend maintaining connections with other people as you get older. They even have a web site. Please let us know what you think about the book.

Younger Next Year - Turn Back Your Biological Clock
Just finished it yesterday. I highly recommend it, although there are some things I don't completely agree with. I think Nords did a book review on it.

How it's changing my life:
  • I'm trying to exercise 6 days per week instead of 4. Really don't want to, but they've got me convinced it will be worth it.
  • Weight training.
  • Have always eaten healthfully, but will make some changes.
Things they strongly recommend, but that I won't do
  • Join a health club -- not practical or frugal, and it's not my kind of thing
  • Buy a heart rate monitor -- I can measure my throat pulse even while running
  • Join clubs and do lots of social stuff -- I don't swing that way
  • Explore my spirituality -- no thanks
  • Buy a new bicycle -- I've got a great bike which is not as efficient or light as the newer ones, but burning calories is the goal here
  • Shave every morning -- no, sorry
Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #120

Thanks Al. The takeaway I got was to exercise most days and push it a little. I don't use a heart rate monitor either, other than what the treadmill tells me. I've got an old bike and I sure as h*ll don't explore my spirituality. Anyway, thanks.

My cynical self warns me if the 73-year guy, Chris, drops dead anytime soon, well, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote